Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:39:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons: A Journey Through Shit

Started by JamesTC, January 08, 2021, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapple MyPad?

Mapple MyPad
2 (7.1%)
Mapple MyPad
0 (0%)
Mapple MyPad
6 (21.4%)
Mapplethorpe
16 (57.1%)
Mapple MyPad
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 24, 2021, 08:55:16 AM

neov1974

great to see these back JamesTC and these 4/10s for late Treehouse of Horrors chime with my view that all that's left that's even got a chance of being any good is the Treehouse of Horrors, cos there were never any rules in them anyway, so they can be as absurd and silly as they need to be without actually ever further trashing the bloodied corpse of the classic era. I may have posted this before.

Petey Pate

The latest Dark Simpsons YouTube video is episode length and is both funny and sad. Needless to say, it's probably more entertaining than any real episode from the past 20 years.

https://youtu.be/GlqQr_VNShE

idunnosomename

the black hole segment has some nice animation effects

JamesTC

Quote from: neov1974 on October 01, 2021, 11:18:12 PM
great to see these back JamesTC and these 4/10s for late Treehouse of Horrors chime with my view that all that's left that's even got a chance of being any good is the Treehouse of Horrors, cos there were never any rules in them anyway, so they can be as absurd and silly as they need to be without actually ever further trashing the bloodied corpse of the classic era. I may have posted this before.

From memory the last few have been really awful but this one was a surprising up tick in quality. Not saying much when it is still a fair way below average.

Oddly the last one stuck more to canon of the classic era by having the original meeting between Homer and Marge the same rather than them meeting in the 90s and Homer becoming famous in a grunge band.

Quote from: Petey Pate on October 01, 2021, 11:31:02 PM
The latest Dark Simpsons YouTube video is episode length and is both funny and sad. Needless to say, it's probably more entertaining than any real episode from the past 20 years.

It was certainly more coherent than most of the last 15 or so years despite being made up of mashed together clips. I think it would have been much better without the
Spoiler alert
noose at the end
[close]
though. But then I guess it is Dark Simpsons.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: JamesTC on October 01, 2021, 11:58:35 PM
It was certainly more coherent than most of the last 15 or so years despite being made up of mashed together clips. I think it would have been much better without the
Spoiler alert
noose at the end
[close]
though. But then I guess it is Dark Simpsons.
Yeah, regarding the
Spoiler alert
noose at the end
[close]
, for me it wasn't so much that it was dark but more that it didn't fit with the previous scene and seemed as though they couldn't find a place for it earlier in the narrative and shoved it at the end because it was too dark not to use.

I watched The Simpsons Movie yesterday for the first time since it came out. It's extraordinary the contrast of the effort put into animation (like the incredibly detailed crowd scenes, and some good action sequences; although some of it still looks too clean and pretty) with the lack of effort in writing jokes: there are a lot of moments where they just seemed to fail to write anything, like where Homer's lost in the wilderness and the punchline is a woman with big boobs, or most of the scenes with Russ Cargill. Some of the stuff with Marge falling out of love with Homer is quite nice, but the rest of the plot is just offcuts.

Also, very glad to see the reviews back. The ep with Bart contacting all his old girlfriends was considerably funnier when Family Guy did it (with Brian), and that's a pretty sad thing to say. But it makes zero sense when Bart, a 10 year old boy, does it. Don't they do old-school clip shows any more?

H-O-W-L

They could probably just start doing Dark Simpsons style mash-ups of old eps to create new plots and never have to truly write a new episode again.

JamesTC

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 03, 2021, 05:35:41 PM
They could probably just start doing Dark Simpsons style mash-ups of old eps to create new plots and never have to truly write a new episode again.

I've not seen it yet, but I'm pretty sure the Kamp Krusty sequel is just Kamp Krusty again but they all get PTSD.

JamesTC

Season 24 - Episode 3 - Adventures in Baby-Getting

Marge asks Homer to fix the fawcett in the back garden and he keeps saying he will do it but then doesn't do it. Three seasons pass without him doing it. Eventually the fawcett drips into the ground and we follow the journey underground as we pass the corpses of the Tracy Ullman versions of the Simpsons. The drip causes a huge sinkhole to form in the centre of town. Marge, Bart and Lisa get caught in the sinkhole. The tire fire is poured into the sinkhole to fill it up, but Marge's car is still in there.

Lisa doesn't get on the bus on the way home so Bart and Milhouse follow her. Lisa gets in a taxi on her own and leaves behind a note saying "The five boxing wizards jump quickly". Marge is getting a new car and is being patronised by the dealer, so she uses a website to reveal his lies. She buys a Tissan but she doesn't like it. Homer and Marge go back to the dealer to speak to a mechanic. The mechanic tells Homer that there is nothing wrong with the car and that he believes there is another reason she is annoyed with the car. Homer speaks to Marge about it and she realises she hates the car because there isn't room for another child and she wants another one which is the plot of the episode.

Bart tries to find clues in Lisa's room for where she is going. Homer and Marge have started trying for a baby but have no progress, so they visit Dr Hibbert. Dr Hibbert shows them that Homer's sperm is dead. Bart and Milhouse enlist Nelson and Ralph to help find out what Lisa is doing. Marge and Homer are drinking at Moe's. Moe mentions the sperm Homer sold to Shelbyville Sperm Bank 15 years earlier to buy Marge's pearl necklace. Homer and Marge take a trip to Shelbyville Fertility Clinic.

Principal Skinner wants to help Bart and the gang find out what Lisa is up to. Skinner knows who the page comes from, so they go there and find Lisa is learning cursive writing. That's it.

Homer reveals to Marge that he doesn't want another baby so she throws him out of their hotel. On the drive back, Marge is angry. At a diner, Homer sees a four child family and realises he wants another child now. Homer and Marge arrive at the Shelbyville Fertility Clinic. They reveal the last of his sperm has just been given out, but the couple who want to use it let them have it after they see Homer. Marge looks at a board of pictures of babies born from the fertility clinic, and they are all baby Homers. Marge believes there is enough Homers in the world.

Homer takes the family to see Itchy and Scratchy The Movie 3D at a drive in theatre despite the fact that Bart doesn't see it until he is considerably older as established many many seasons ago. A car pulls up next to them with octuplet Homers and they all go d'oh. Credits roll. The credits are in cursive.

3/10

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 03, 2021, 05:35:41 PM

I don't know how common this is but it did happen a lot with the final series of the 60s Spider-Man show. They also used animation from completely different shows as well.

H-O-W-L

Happened with TUGS overseas too, it got chopped up and renarrated as the execrably shit Salty's Lighthouse, with a cartoon octopus involved. Absolute shite compared to the mastercraft that was the original TUGS.

JamesTC

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 03, 2021, 08:25:58 PM
I don't know how common this is but it did happen a lot with the final series of the 60s Spider-Man show. They also used animation from completely different shows as well.

It was very commonplace to re-use shots in animations to save money. Though I didn't realise some did it with whole episodes.

It apparently happened in The Simpsons between Season 2 and 6.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: JamesTC on October 03, 2021, 08:25:03 PM
Season 24 - Episode 3 - Adventures in Baby-Getting
Oh god what a pointless stupid episode. Love how Marge and Homer just forgot that Homer is sterile from the nuclear power plant.

Better plot: Maggie's walking all the time and hasn't crawled in weeks which means she's growing up. Marge realises all her kids are growing up and will soon be gone (insert metajoke about the series being frozen in time here). She wants another baby but Homer's sterile so that's out the window. Maybe she talks to Homer about IVF or donor sperm (funny joke about Homer imagining what Marge and Ned Flanders' baby would look like or something). Maybe she babysits Apu's octuplets and realises what could happen if she goes the IVF route. Maybe she babysits Selma's adopted daughter (that we never fucking see) at the Simpson house, and realises Maggie would be jealous of a new baby and four kids would be too much. Maybe the episode could end on Homer reassuring Marge that they can always have another kid once Bart and Lisa are out of the house and Maggie's no longer cute enough for the ratings.

QuoteShe buys a Tissan

fuck's sake

god remember the Canyonero and how it was a comment on SUVs in general and not some lazy bullshit like a Jevy Bronzerado

Mobbd

we follow the journey underground as we pass the corpses of the Tracy Ullman versions of the Simpsons.

I don't like that.

Oh, Nobody

Moe mentions the sperm Homer sold to Shelbyville Sperm Bank 15 years earlier to buy Marge's pearl necklace.

Oh boy.

Quote from: JamesTC on October 03, 2021, 08:25:03 PMMarge looks at a board of pictures of babies born from the fertility clinic, and they are all baby Homers.

joke recycled from season 4

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on October 05, 2021, 11:37:16 AM
Oh boy.

Hilarious joke isn't it?

Also Homer didn't buy her the necklace, it's a 'priceless family heirloom' as per the cat burglar episode, but she also has an entire ball of them in her drawer.

Quote from: Petey Pate on October 01, 2021, 11:31:02 PM

I've been watching some of Dark Simpsons and do they all end with someone committing suicide?

H-O-W-L

Sometimes they hilariously end with a person being bummed. Sometimes the dog!

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 06, 2021, 02:06:48 PM
Sometimes they hilariously end with a person being bummed. Sometimes the dog!
Yeahhh I stopped after the one where someone rapes Bart.

H-O-W-L

I respect the legitimate effort it takes for them to comb hours of the show to find the clips they need but the humor it services is far from my taste.

JamesTC

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on October 06, 2021, 02:12:28 PM
Yeahhh I stopped after the one where someone rapes Bart.

Is this Dark Simpsons or the real Simpsons? Because I bet it has happened in both.

Quote from: JamesTC on October 06, 2021, 02:16:43 PM
Is this Dark Simpsons or the real Simpsons? Because I bet it has happened in both.
I don't think regular Simpsons has gone that far yet. Then again Homer got frotted by a panda which was so hilarious u gais

JamesTC

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on October 06, 2021, 02:31:34 PM
I don't think regular Simpsons has gone that far yet. Then again Homer got frotted by a panda which was so hilarious u gais

Even worse Homer got comedy raped by Marge. Still think that is the nadir of the show and it is all the way back in Season 14.

madhair60

Dark Simpsons isn't funny or interesting

Quote from: JamesTC on October 03, 2021, 08:32:26 PM
It was very commonplace to re-use shots in animations to save money. Though I didn't realise some did it with whole episodes.

It apparently happened in The Simpsons between Season 2 and 6.

The bit in Lisa's Pony when she calls Homer at work while sitting on the couch in a robe is the most obvious example, bothered me so much even when I was a little kid and didn't know about recycled animation.

JamesTC

Season 24 - Episode 4 - Gone Abie Gone

Homer has burning onion rings thrown in his face at Krusty Burger due to the nervous teenager being nervous. Homer receives $5,000 for the payout. Lenny and Carl convince Homer to not keep the money in banks. Moe convinces Homer to put the money into a poker site. Marge informs Homer that they missed the visit to Grandpa, so they go to the retirement home. The retirement home tell Homer and Marge that Grandpa is missing. Marge finds a coaster for a bar in his room, so they decide to go and visit it.

Bart is gambling with Lisa's college fund and is also tipping virtual waitresses in order to give them bigger boobs. Lisa is annoyed and is about to log out when she sees she has a good hand, so she decides to play. Marge and Homer arrive at the bar and find that Grandpa used to work there. Flashback to Grandpa at the bar and he is fired whilst flirting with the singer there called Rita after he was playing piano. Marge phones Rita and they find that she is married to Grandpa which is the plot of the episode.

Lisa is getting advice on poker from Jennifer Tilly. Lisa has now turned the $5,000 into $360,000. Marge and Homer visit Rita. Rita recounts how they got married and Homer (as a child) ended up hitting his head multiple times whilst being dragged behind on the car which is why he can't remember things even though we know it was caused by both a crayon and genetics. Whilst in the hospital with Homer, Rita gets a phone call saying they want her and Grandpa to go on a European tour with their music, but Grandpa has to stay with Homer. Marge asks why she never reunited with Grandpa and she explains she got "super addicted to heroin".

Lisa goes all in on a full house with over $400k. Sideshow Bob has four of a kind and she loses all the money. Lisa is sad. Bart reveals that he is Sideshow Bob on the poker site but it turns out that the poker site found out they were underage and took all the money bar the original $5,000. Rita asks Homer and Marge to tell Grandpa where she is if they find him and gives them his cologne. They go to the cologne store and it turns out he works there and he moved out and got a job and his own place because they didn't visit him. He forgives them and moves back in the retirement home. Grandpa is reunited with Rita and they play piano and sing over the credits.

3/10

JamesTC

Not Shit era related but I saw this picture and I'd never noticed all the details before and it made me very happy. Especially Santa's Little Helper.

purlieu

He's totally absorbed in what's going on. Also, the mouse!

Fucking hell, what happened to this show

H-O-W-L

The "Wiggum Gets a Jetpack" episode also has Wiggum
Spoiler alert
brutally murder two teenagers by landing on them in his jetpack and grinding them up in the turbines
[close]
. This is not a joke.

buttgammon

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 27, 2021, 08:58:13 AM
The "Wiggum Gets a Jetpack" episode also has Wiggum
Spoiler alert
brutally murder two teenagers by landing on them in his jetpack and grinding them up in the turbines
[close]
. This is not a joke.

Chief or Ralph? Late Simpsons being Late Simpsons, I have to ask...