Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:24:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons: A Journey Through Shit

Started by JamesTC, January 08, 2021, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapple MyPad?

Mapple MyPad
2 (7.1%)
Mapple MyPad
0 (0%)
Mapple MyPad
6 (21.4%)
Mapplethorpe
16 (57.1%)
Mapple MyPad
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 24, 2021, 08:55:16 AM

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on February 17, 2021, 10:14:41 PM
Honestly from your description it sounds like it's having a dig at people who care about consent.
oh god you just reminded me that there's a newish shitty episode about SJWs only they don't say SJWs they say millenials or college students but anyway they're all special snowflakes.

Remember how Homer Badman had nuance? In that even though he didn't grab the babysitter he still creeped her out and then pulled something off her ass while making a perv-face? So she had a reason to freak out and wasn't hysterically making things up for attention? Zombie Simpsons doesn't.

idunnosomename

interesting how they just trace photographs of the church of the holy sepulchre (something which would've been almost impossible in pre-image-rich internet 90s) and other Jerusalem sites as backgrounds instead of uh, writing jokes. utterly bizarre show at this point really

madhair60

QuoteHomer falls asleep in Jesus' tomb but thinks it is Porky Pig's tomb which enrages Flanders

Sorry but this made me laugh

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on February 17, 2021, 10:14:41 PM
Honestly from your description it sounds like it's having a dig at people who care about consent.

It's very Old Man Yells At Cloud. There's a line from Chalmers along the lines of "We're all here because something happened between a boy a girl that would've been fine 100s of years ago" (?)

There's probably an episode about the type of relationship advice a young Bart is getting from the people in his life and the conflicts that come from that with what he learned is wrong or something like that. But instead we get a "Boys can't even kiss girls anymore!"

JamesTC

The Simpsons is both behind culturally and socially now. And evidently in 2010 too.

I was shown a clip of one recent episode by somebody which was taking the piss out of political correctness and offensiveness in universities. Basically the type of humour were right-wingers guffaw at owning the libs. It couldn't have been from long ago as it was in the last couple of years when I was shown it. I just feigned a smile.

Maybe I am being harsh and they have picked up recently. I see they did an episode recently about podcasts.

St_Eddie

I'm at my mate's and Zombie Simpsons is on.  There was just a bit where Homer was swimming in the ocean.  He started splashing around and then said "There better not be any killer fish in here" (I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea).  Then do you know what happened?  A shark appeared!  Fuck me, they're not even trying anymore:

"I hope this thing what would be a convenience doesn't happen.  Oh no, that thing that would be a convenience and progress the plot just happened.  Gahhhhh!".  What a shit show.

JamesTC

I'd really depressed myself reading a sad story this afternoon so why not cheer myself up by watching some Simpsons!

Season 21 - Episode 17 - American History X-cellent

Homer, Lenny and Carl are guards at the jail and enter a cell with Mr Burns in it. We flash back to Mr Burns announcing to all the employees of the power plant that they will be working at his picnic. He has all the employees perform a play for him. Lenny, Carl and Homer are angry at Mr Burns, so they drink all the wine from Mr Burns' win cellar. Smithers calls the police but when they arrive to arrest Homer, Lenny and Carl they find that Mr Burns has stolen artwork. Mr Burns is arrested and is taken through the town for everybody to throw rotten fruit at. Mr Burns appoints Smithers as head of the plant which is the plot of the episode.

Lisa has an ant farm. Bart feeds the ants pop tarts. Bart and Lisa fight over the ant farm, and it drops on the floor for Santa's Little Helper to eat all but one of the ants. Lisa says she will never forgive Bart. Mr Smithers says happy workers are productive workers so institutes changes at the plant. Lisa takes care of her one remaining ant.

Bart: It was an accident, I didn't mean to kill our ants
Homer: Huh? Patty and Selma are dead? Double funeral! *Homer sings and does a dance*

The workers start taking advantage of Smithers. Smithers then overheard Lenny, Carl and Homer badmouthing him and talking about how much of a pushover he is, so he changes into a hard ass. An inmate at the prison tries to get Burns to accept Jesus and then he sucks out all the evil from him. Mr Burns becomes a changed man. The remaining ant is slowing down in her old age. Lenny, Carl and Homer decide things were better under Burns, so they need to break into the prison and get him out.

Lisa and Bart release the remaining ant in a heart-warming moment and then Santa's Little Helper eats her. The inmate tries to stop them taking Burns but Burns still has some remaining evil. Burns returns to the plant and the inmate tries to convert Fat Tony to Jesus. Credits roll.

5/10

A high point for the season. This says much more about the quality of the season thus far. Still it gave a good few laugh out loud moments. Homer walking in on the conversation and Santa's Little Helper eating the ant to undercut the sweet moment were very good.

What the fuck is the title about? Just take a film about racists and make a pun? Christ.

JamesTC

Season 21 - Episode 18 - Chief of Hearts

The kids are going to a birthday party. At the party Bart sees some kids playing a card/toy game called Battle Balls. Homer is going to the bank, but the sign outside says no food so he takes a big bite out of his candy apple and then puts it in his pocket. Homer's hand is stuck in his pocket and his mouth is stuck from the candy, so people think he has a gun in his pocket and that he is taking hostages. Homer is tasered and then sentenced to 100 hours of community service for disturbing the peace. At the community service, Homer and Wiggum bond over sandwiches. Wiggum and Homer become friends which is the plot of the episode.

Wiggum is excited about making a new friend. Bart and Ralph play Battle Ball but Martin overhears and taddles to Skinner as he thinks something more nefarious is going on. Skinner calls Marge in as they believe Bart has been dealing drugs. Marge returns home and overhears Bart and Milhouse talking about Battle Ball but believes they are talking about drugs. Homer and Wiggum continue to do stuff together but then they need to go to an armed robbery. Wiggum is shot saving Homer but he wasn't wearing his bulletproof vest. Homer stays with Wiggum all through his recovery. Homer wants to go home to his family but Wiggum guilts him into staying.

Marge searches for drugs in Bart's room. She confronts Bart and he explains it was Battle Ball. Marge things Battle Ball is cool so he instantly stops liking it. Homer is drinking at Moe's and Wiggum bursts in to tell him he is a bad friend. Homer is depressed and feeling guilty at home. Lou and Eddie arrive at the Simpson house and tell Homer they haven't seen Wiggum for days. Homer finds Wiggum but they are both captured by Fat Tony. Homer and Wiggum are tied up in the boot of Fat Tony's car and are being driven to the body dump. Wiggum manages to use a CD to untie himself and Homer. Wiggum and Homer overpower Fat Tony and his cronies and arrest them. Homer and Wiggum take the police helicopter to make Flanders think the rapture is happening by shining the spotlight through his window and telling him to take off all of his clothes. Montage of pictures of Homer and Wiggum getting up to hijinks. Credits roll.

4/10

It was fine.

This is the first episode in which Lisa doesn't say a single word.

Blumf

Ee-he-he-heh

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56166823
QuoteThe Simpsons actor Harry Shearer is to be replaced as the voice of Dr Hibbert, after the show said white cast members would stop portraying characters from other ethnic backgrounds.

Kevin Michael Richardson, known for his voice work on Family Guy and American Dad!, will take over in an episode that will air in the US this weekend.

Shearer had voiced the jolly medic, among other characters, since 1990.

He will continue to play Mr Burns, Ned Flanders and Principal Skinner.

<shrug>

idunnosomename

Quote from: JamesTC on February 20, 2021, 08:00:08 PM
What the fuck is the title about? Just take a film about racists and make a pun? Christ.
why did they just call it The Yellow Mile

Bernice

I love KMR's work, he was an excellent Shredder in NickTMNT and a dead ringer for 87 Shredder in that one crossover episode but it feels like TV thinks there aren't any other black voice actors.

Ferris

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 23, 2021, 02:17:25 PM
why did they just call it The Yellow Mile

Thought they had to have used that. Googled it and only found a Simpsons fanfic under that name on a forum. Amused reading this review of it:
QuoteThere's too much swearing. I stopped reading when Maggie swore at Bart in capital letters.

JamesTC

Quote from: Blumf on February 23, 2021, 01:56:53 PM
Ee-he-he-heh

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56166823
<shrug>

The Simpsons really dug their heals in with all this. The fact they made that embarrassing Apu episode (not seen it yet, I'm so looking forward to it) just makes them look so disingenuous with these changes. They don't give a toss about representation, everybody is just angry at them for being stuck in the past, so they were forced to act.

If they genuinely wanted to make a point, they should have introduced three or four non-white cast members to the main cast and have them voice various new characters of all ethnicities. So white actors can continue to play non-white characters but non-white actors would play white characters too. Thinking about it, it would be a shot in the arm to the voice acting that the show could use. But this isn't about making a point about racism, it is about them not realising why people are annoyed about the lack of representation and how their all white cast is emblematic of that.

Blumf

TheRealJims has done a listing of 20 'HD era' Simpsons episodes to check out. Six of them suggested by Simpsons writer Matt Selman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4InInaXFho

I don't know, the few eps I could remember seeing weren't that good, so not convinced the list is all that. Still, maybe as good a jumping off point as any for anyone wanting to sample death-march Simpsons.

idunnosomename

Quote from: JamesTC on February 26, 2021, 04:40:09 PM
Thought they had to have used that. Googled it and only found a Simpsons fanfic under that name on a forum. Amused reading this review of it:
yes i did check too. Still, there might actually be a real simpsons episode further down the results for all i know!

madhair60

something I've noticed is that these episodes all seem to have a pop song in em, a pop song montage. Every single episode. do they own a record library or something that they have to use? it's the same with American Dad, there's some contemporary song in every episode somewhere. really odd.

buttgammon

Could it just be a desperate attempt to convince people that they're still in some way relevant? Presumably the songs are a few years out of date too.

Blumf

Quote from: madhair60 on March 01, 2021, 12:10:56 PM
it's the same with American Dad, there's some contemporary song in every episode somewhere. really odd.

Eh? Outside of that cringey My Morning Jacket episode, most the music seems to be original stuff in AD.

RetroRobot

Quote from: madhair60 on March 01, 2021, 12:10:56 PM
something I've noticed is that these episodes all seem to have a pop song in em, a pop song montage. Every single episode. do they own a record library or something that they have to use? it's the same with American Dad, there's some contemporary song in every episode somewhere. really odd.

I believe it's a library? Didn't they fire their composer and hire one of those firms to do it? Maybe something to do with that.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: RetroRobot on March 01, 2021, 02:26:52 PM
I believe it's a library? Didn't they fire their composer and hire one of those firms to do it? Maybe something to do with that.
They fired Alf Clausen in 2017 (various reasons have been suggested, from Clausen having Parkinsons to Clausen not actually doing any of the work and subcontracting it all out) and replaced him with Hans Zimmer's company Remote Control. This doesn't really explain the use of pop songs, which is probably more due to the preference for a lazy montage over writing jokes; probably Fox/Twentieth Century Television has a deal with a record company or companies to get lots of cheap or free music (Disney owns Hollywood records and has close relations with Universal, but the Simpsons thing presumably predates that).

madhair60

Quote from: Blumf on March 01, 2021, 01:54:27 PM
Eh? Outside of that cringey My Morning Jacket episode, most the music seems to be original stuff in AD.

I haven't seen it for a while but I recall the TBS episodes using a lot of songs you wouldn't expect to show up and seemed to almost be shoehorned in

Quote from: madhair60 on March 01, 2021, 05:45:48 PM
I haven't seen it for a while but I recall the TBS episodes using a lot of songs you wouldn't expect to show up and seemed to almost be shoehorned in
They played Pour Some Sugar on Me over the montage of Steve and Stan washing the car in that episode where they both get huge boobs.

They played The Touch over the training montage in the episode where Roger joins the police force.

They played Hall of Illusions in a cutaway gag about Klaus wearing his Insane Clown Posse hoodie to Steve's funeral.

They played some 80s song, I know I looked it up before but I can't remember what it's called, over the photo collage of Roger doing a shoot for Playgirl in... I want to say the episode where he joins the CIA to investigate all the sightings of him.

EDIT: They played Majestic in the episode where Jeff ends up on the alien spaceship and has to prove his love for Haley is true and pure or else he'll be neutered.

RetroRobot

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 01, 2021, 05:58:59 PM
They played Pour Some Sugar on Me over the montage of Steve and Stan washing the car in that episode where they both get huge boobs.

They played The Touch over the training montage in the episode where Roger joins the police force.

They played Hall of Illusions in a cutaway gag about Klaus wearing his Insane Clown Posse hoodie to Steve's funeral.

They played some 80s song, I know I looked it up before but I can't remember what it's called, over the photo collage of Roger doing a shoot for Playgirl in... I want to say the episode where he joins the CIA to investigate all the sightings of him.

EDIT: They played Majestic in the episode where Jeff ends up on the alien spaceship and has to prove his love for Haley is true and pure or else he'll be neutered.

To be fair the Majestic scene is fantastic

The Kid is Hot Tonite, that's the one from Roger's Playgirl shoot.

There's an episode where Steve and his friends hump an ottoman to Pony by Ginuwine.

idunnosomename

On that quite fun retro-80s couch gag by Steve Cutts they just use Push it to the Limit when you know in classic Simpsons they'd have crafted a pastiche instead

JamesTC

Oh goodie. The Simpsons has been renewed for Season 33 and 34.

Quote from: Deadline"Woo Hoo! With any luck the show will soon be older than I am," noted Homer Simpson.

No he didn't.

Wonderful Butternut