Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:31:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons: A Journey Through Shit

Started by JamesTC, January 08, 2021, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapple MyPad?

Mapple MyPad
2 (7.1%)
Mapple MyPad
0 (0%)
Mapple MyPad
6 (21.4%)
Mapplethorpe
16 (57.1%)
Mapple MyPad
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 24, 2021, 08:55:16 AM

Thursday

I don't actually have an issue with the concept of them having Homer be a teenager in the 90's it's just I know it'll be shit, because it's current Simpsons.

Kankurette

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 17, 2021, 11:13:29 PM
Family Guy did the same "joke", too. At least when Francine got ripped on American Dad! she didn't rape Stan.
I'm not even surprised.

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 17, 2021, 07:33:47 PM
Matt Selman talking out his arse with that 'no canon' jive. Someone on that Twitter thread replied (rightly) that if that were the case they could just bring back Maude Flanders tomorrow with no explanation, and he replied with something to the effect of 'well deaths births and marriages are different'. YES WELL IN THAT CASE THERE CLEARLY IS A CANON THEN ISN'T THERE MATT YOU FIBBER.

Incidentally, this Sunday's episode apparently is a flashback one where it's revealed that Homer helped deliver Todd Flanders and his parents then named him Todd Homer Flanders in gratitude. :(

I replied to that great that it ruins engagement and Selman replied 'OH NOT BUT IT ALL HAPPENED"

I then suggested an episode where Homer talks to his fart cause who cares anymore.

earl_sleek

ajsmith2

Also worth staying tuned for the April 18th episode which apparently features ' Benedict Cumberbatch as a Morrissey-type character' and is entitled 'Panic in the Streets of Springfield'. Hmm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_(season_32)

dissolute ocelot

Stephen Fry is appearing soon too, doubtless playing a posh, camp man. But he and Olivia Colman (who's also been in it recently, sigh) inspired this super-Partridgey headline:

When Olivia met Homer - Norfolk stars land roles in The Simpsons

JamesTC

There is only so long I can put off watching more by instead watching good stuff like Doctor Who Season 8, Dawn of the Dead and The Terminator.

Season 21 - Episode 20 - To Surveil With Love

OH FUCKING HELL TIK TOK SHITE. Awful awful awful awful opening. Hate it. FUCK OFF.

Duff Man arrives in Moe's Tavern to give away Duff paraphernalia. Homer is now wearing Duff clothes. At the school, Nelson trips Milhouse in the cafeteria and Lisa defends him. A new teacher notices and asks Lisa to join the debate team. Lisa's debate partner is an arsehole and just doesn't allow Lisa to rebut any point and mocks her for being blonde.

At the Nuclear Power Plant, Smithers informs Burns that they have nowhere to put the nuclear waste so Burns sees Homer in the Duff clothes and tells Smithers to put the nuclear waste in his bag. Homer then leaves his bag unattended at the Springfield Union Station so it is blown up for some reason. Now they think terrorists are after them. Quimby suggests installing security around town which is the plot of the episode.

An overtly British guy (Eddie Izzard doing an exaggerated accent) called Nigel Bakerbutcher tells the town at a meeting about the security they have in London such as the London Eye being a literal eye. Lisa makes a point but because she is blonde she is told to shut the fuck up by Cleetus. The town agrees to add cameras all over the town. Cleetus says he has sex with animals.

Krusty is making blonde jokes which Bart loves so Lisa points out he is also blonde but he rebuts that blonde men are just evil rather than stupid. Cameras are now installed over town but Chief Wiggum can't be bothered monitoring the cameras, so townspeople are brought in to monitor instead (including Marge and Flanders). Flanders is controlling over everything by telling the town what to do through speakers on the cameras but Marge feels uncomfortable. Lisa dyes her hair. Bart discovers a blind spot to the cameras in the backyard by backing his arse into the paths of the cameras.

Homer: Hey boy, what ya doing?
Bart: Experimenting with my butt.
Homer: My little Einstein.

Bart and Homer open an area in the blind spot where people can pay to be free from the cameras. Marge arrives so everybody pretends to not be breaking the law. Homer tells Marge the truth and she accidentally reveals the blind spot to Flanders. Flanders moves a camera and can see everything. Lisa is really good at debate now she has brown hair but she then reveals she is blonde and has a rant about it. Flanders turns up in the backyard to try to stop the misbehaviour but Homer informs him that it was his nagging that caused everything to end up there. Homer and Flanders go around the city and destroy all the cameras. Turns out the cameras were recording a reality TV show for Britain and the Queen will miss Ralph. Credits roll with Get Ready for This by 2 Unlimited for some reason.

3/10 - Have I mentioned that the opening can fuck off? A television blog called TV Squad described the opening as "inspired". TV Squad was shut down in 2011.

JamesTC

Season 21 - Episode 21 - Moe Letter Blues

Moe is narrating the story. Moe is talking about how he understands the problems of everybody in the town. He especially understands the problems of the married couples. On TV, Krusty is encouraging the kids of the town to take a Krusty day cruise with their fathers in order to give their mother a happy Mother's Day. Homer agrees to take the kids as Marge says she needs to take care of something. Apu, Lovejoy and Homer are all on the cruise and they receive a letter from Moe saying that he is leaving town with one of their wives which is the plot of the episode.

Apu, Lovejoy and Homer try to work out which wife it is but they can't reach any of them. Homer thrown his phone overboard while trying to send a text. Homer says that him and Marge never argue but Lovejoy and Apu tell him that is a bad thing so they ask him when it started. Homer remembers during Marge's mother's 80th birthday that he called Patty and Selma "penis curling she devils" which angered Marge.

Now Apu is thinking back for any time that Manjula might have ended up with Moe.  He remembers a time that they went into Moe's to use the toilet and left one of the children so Manjula went back to recover it. Homer reveals he was at Moe's when Manjula arrives. Manjula played a dance game with Moe that he had gotten at the bar.

Lovejoy now thinks back. He had an argument with Helen as they never talk. Helen confided in Moe who was at the church. Apu was also at the church window (they didn't think that one through) and saw Moe reveal to Helen that he is in love with a married woman.

The three return home and see Marge packing in the window. Homer enters the home and she is actually putting away her painting supplies. She reveals that her mother revealed that it was Patty and Selma that riled Homer up. Lovejoy returns home to see Helen packing but she is actually packing for both of them to go on a trip together. Apu returns home last thinking it is his wife leaving him. Manjula is there with Moe but she says he has convinced her to stay with Apu. Moe then reveals he orchestrated the whole thing to fix their marriages. Moe mentions Mother's Day because this aired that day. A blow up doll passes by. Credits roll.

3/10

When I was writing this, I mentioned earlier that Homer throws his phone overboard while writing a text because it seemed to be the obvious thing that would come back later as a plot point. It didn't so it must just have been a gag. It wasn't funny.

JamesTC

Season 21 - Episode 22 - The Bob Next Door

Quimby is announcing cost-cutting measures at a town meeting which includes releasing all low level criminals from Springfield Penitentiary. Next-door to the right moves out and somebody new moves in. He has expensive furniture and drives a hybrid so Lisa and Marge love him but Bart goes over to introduce himself Bart style but the new neighbour (Walt) looks and sounds a little like Sideshow Bob which is the plot of the episode.

Bart tries to have Walt reveal the truth. Bart and Milhouse sing Gilbert and Sullivan but Walt doesn't join in. Bart sneaks into his house to try to find evidence but doesn't find any. Marge takes Bart to the Springfield Penitentiary to see Bob in the prison who is writing "Bart Simpsons will die" on a padded wall using a pen in his mouth. Just after they visit him, Bob manages to escape.

Walt feels bad that him and Bart got off on the wrong foot so he offers Bart a ticket to go to a baseball game. Sideshow Bob arrives at the window of the Simpsons house but he reveals he is actually Walt so Bart is now with the real Sideshow Bob. Walt was Bob's cellmate and was scheduled for early release so Bob orchestrated the whole thing in a Face-Off style face swap plan. Walt was writing "Bart Simpson will die" as a warning as he couldn't speak due to the face swap.

Walt and the family split up. Bob is about to shoot Bart across state lines so he doesn't get convicted of murder. Walt arrives but fails to stop Bob who now is pointing the gun at Walt and Bart. Wiggum and backup arrive and reveal that Bart pre-warned them as he was still unsure about Walt and they tracked him through his hybrid car. Bob is arrested.

Flanders' cousin moves in next-door and he is just like Flanders. Credits roll.

5/10 - I'm impressed they managed to do something new and interesting with Sideshow Bob. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either, just average. Which is enough at this point.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Sky One skipped from season 6 to season 12 on weekdays and are showing season 29 on Sundays. It's interesting to go from classic episodes like Who Shot Mr. Burns and Lisa's Wedding to "what celebrity can we get this week" season 12 to...

...well, the only season 29 episode I watched was about Moe reconnecting with his estranged father and siblings, who own a number of mattress stores (the family business). It was okay, in that there was a reason for the Simpsons to interfere with a secondary character's life and Moe stayed more or less in character. But it never made me laugh. Also the characters kept saying "reach around to" instead of "reach out to". Even Marge (the Simpson doing the most interfering this time). Was that supposed to be a joke? Huh huh "reach around" like gay sex. I don't even remember if the kids did anything.

RetroRobot

Quote from: JamesTC on March 26, 2021, 11:57:32 PM
Season 21 - Episode 22 - The Bob Next Door

Quimby is announcing cost-cutting measures at a town meeting which includes releasing all low level criminals from Springfield Penitentiary. Next-door to the right moves out and somebody new moves in. He has expensive furniture and drives a hybrid so Lisa and Marge love him but Bart goes over to introduce himself Bart style but the new neighbour (Walt) looks and sounds a little like Sideshow Bob which is the plot of the episode.

Bart tries to have Walt reveal the truth. Bart and Milhouse sing Gilbert and Sullivan but Walt doesn't join in. Bart sneaks into his house to try to find evidence but doesn't find any. Marge takes Bart to the Springfield Penitentiary to see Bob in the prison who is writing "Bart Simpsons will die" on a padded wall using a pen in his mouth. Just after they visit him, Bob manages to escape.

Walt feels bad that him and Bart got off on the wrong foot so he offers Bart a ticket to go to a baseball game. Sideshow Bob arrives at the window of the Simpsons house but he reveals he is actually Walt so Bart is now with the real Sideshow Bob. Walt was Bob's cellmate and was scheduled for early release so Bob orchestrated the whole thing in a Face-Off style face swap plan. Walt was writing "Bart Simpson will die" as a warning as he couldn't speak due to the face swap.

Walt and the family split up. Bob is about to shoot Bart across state lines so he doesn't get convicted of murder. Walt arrives but fails to stop Bob who now is pointing the gun at Walt and Bart. Wiggum and backup arrive and reveal that Bart pre-warned them as he was still unsure about Walt and they tracked him through his hybrid car. Bob is arrested.

Flanders' cousin moves in next-door and he is just like Flanders. Credits roll.

5/10 - I'm impressed they managed to do something new and interesting with Sideshow Bob. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either, just average. Which is enough at this point.

Is this the one with Family Guy-esque comedy gore with Bob's face falling off and such? I honestly thought it was a Mirtazapine and Guinness fever dream.

JamesTC

Season 21 - Episode 23 - Judge Me Tender

Homer and Bart are trying to get Santa's Little Helper to win an ugly dog contest by dressing him up and painting him. At the contest Moe is sad as nobody lets him sit next to them in the crowd. Krusty is judging the contest and Moe starts heckling and the crowd love it. Moe now judges the contest and the crowd are loving his pithy comments. Homer and Bart dressed up Santa's Little Helpers backside so they win the contest but Santa's Little Helper is sad they think he is ugly.

Moe is now asked to judge a ridiculous beards contest and does very well. Moe judges many contests around town. Santa's Little Helper is depressed. Homer is clingy to Marge at home because Moe's is closed. Moe is asked to be a judge on American Idol. Moe goes to Hollywood. Marge starts hyperventilating due to Homer's overbearing nature so she drives him to a sports bar. Homer doesn't fit in at the sports bar. Lisa cheers up Santa's Little Helper.

Simon Cowell shows Moe around town. Homer is back home and causing problems. Grandpa suggests golf as a way to get him distracted. Simon Cowell has grown fond of Moe so tells him not to become the mean judge as everybody thinks he is nasty and doesn't want to be his friend. Ellen DeGeneres does a dance. Moe decides to be a nice judge. Cowell makes nasty comments about Moe which enrages Moe to the point of holding a broken bottle to him and he is thrown out. Cowell was sabotaging him.

Marge meets an older guy at the golf course who talks about how he never sees his family because he is obsessed with golf and that all it took was one shot. She stops Homer from taking his first shot. Homer and Marge have sex. Moe is back in the tavern and he has been banned from watching Fox as part of his firing but this makes business boom at the tavern. Rupert Murdoch shows up and wants to watch Jay Leno. Credits roll.

2/10 - I don't like it when they are mean to Santa's Little Helper. He is a good boy. Also I really hope that two is enough appearances for Simon Cowell.

JamesTC

Quote from: RetroRobot on March 27, 2021, 12:20:41 AM
Is this the one with Family Guy-esque comedy gore with Bob's face falling off and such? I honestly thought it was a Mirtazapine and Guinness fever dream.

It is indeed. I guess I am desensitised to that sort of thing now. It didn't have the punch that the great shot from Season 4 had. As you say it was Family Guy style which took away from it. Unlike the shot in Season 4 which was one that stuck with you as a kid:

JamesTC

Looking ahead to Season 22, I see there is an episode about Moe turning the tavern into a gay bar and the episode is called Flaming Moe. Jesus.

neveragain

Worth mentioning they already made that joke in the classic era so it's not like they're plumbing new depths.

chveik

Quote from: JamesTC on March 26, 2021, 11:33:18 PM
Season 21 - Episode 21 - Moe Letter Blues

sounds like a very lazy 'parody' of a letter to three wives (and i'm guessing the vast majority of the current simpsons' audience has never heard of the film, so it's just baffling)

neveragain

Actually it's much more likely, as it's a reference they've done before, that it refers to the 1990 film Mo' Better Blues... so... yeah.

Pink Gregory

off topic drunkposting, but Ms Gregory just got a free Disney+ sub with her phone contract, and we watched "Brother's Little Helper" from season 9 or something?  Perfect exchange.

Bart's stolen a tank from a military base under the influence of ADHD drugs and is driving towards the school.  Marge steps in front of the tank and thanks him for stopping.

"the tank ran out of gas"
"...oh."

The faith that Marge has in Bart as ultimately good, and then then the disappointment.

just such a perfect exchange, built on exactly who tho
se characters are in that situation.  That's what it lost as time went on.

chveik

Quote from: neveragain on March 27, 2021, 07:09:42 PM
Actually it's much more likely, as it's a reference they've done before, that it refers to the 1990 film Mo' Better Blues... so... yeah.

i meant the plot of the episode, not its title. that'll teach me for not quoting the whole post

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: chveik on March 27, 2021, 05:49:34 PM
sounds like a very lazy 'parody' of a letter to three wives (and i'm guessing the vast majority of the current simpsons' audience has never heard of the film, so it's just baffling)
Late Simpsons seems stuffed with baffling parodies that make no sense and aren't funny (why use Moe as the mysterious lothario, for fuck's sake? Couldn't they remember any other characters' names?) One of the fun things about classic Simpsons was how they did parodies you didn't need to "get" because they were funny and plot-relevant anyway.

St_Eddie

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: JamesTC on March 26, 2021, 11:06:43 PM
Season 21 - Episode 20 - To Surveil With Love
Bart and Homer open an area in the blind spot where people can pay to be free from the cameras.
This episode has about 1 entertaining minute, and it's when Homer and Bart discover they have a blindspot and can fill it with childish antics. Bart and Homer mucking around is funny; nothing else is. I don't think anyone expects incisive satire from zombie Simpsons, but this kind of surveillance stuff was covered much better (and shorter) in season 11 when Bart was convinced Major League Baseball was spying on everyone.

As for the "Lisa is blonde" thing: still speechless. It might have made sense as a 5 second gag mocking how the Simpsons don't have proper hair, but after about 9000 episodes on how Lisa is ugly and an undiscovered genius and everyone hates her you can't just say "She's a blonde who everyone thinks is pretty but dim". Next week: Bart is taken to hospital because he only has 3 fingers.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

The best hair joke in The Simpsons was "speaking of hair, I have a question. Where does mine begin? Head, head, head, hair! ...I'm drawing on a hairline!"

madhair60

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 29, 2021, 02:20:13 PM
The best hair joke in The Simpsons was "speaking of hair, I have a question. Where does mine begin? Head, head, head, hair! ...I'm drawing on a hairline!"

Nah, it's Homer dreaming of having Marge's hair then going "heh heh, I don't need her at all anymore"

JamesTC

JamesTC

Listening to the avant-garde six-hour-long album Everywhere at the End of Time which is an auditory journey through the stages of dementia. Wondering if latter seasons of The Simpsons are the visual version of this.

JamesTC

Hank Azaria has apologised for voicing Apu. Not sure if he is apologising for just the last 20 seasons.

But seriously it seems a very open and honest apology, particularly welcome considering how the show originally reacted to criticism of Apu (I've not actually watched that episode yet, only read about it).

idunnosomename

the whole "What can you do?" bit was kind of a Prince Andrew thing in that it was so bad it made things worse

ajsmith2

Morrissey's management (and reading between the lines, almost certainly Morrissey himself) unamused by Moz parody in last nights episode:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/morrissey-blasts-the-simpsons-for-hateful-and-hypocritical-parody-075837650.html