Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:29:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons: A Journey Through Shit

Started by JamesTC, January 08, 2021, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapple MyPad?

Mapple MyPad
2 (7.1%)
Mapple MyPad
0 (0%)
Mapple MyPad
6 (21.4%)
Mapplethorpe
16 (57.1%)
Mapple MyPad
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 24, 2021, 08:55:16 AM

king_tubby

Quote from: Jumblegraws on April 21, 2021, 10:17:17 PM
Presumably the script had stuff that wouldn't have made much sense if you hadn't seen the Hank Scorpio episode

But he was just a generic Bond villain. If you're trying to pitch something to an audience who are entirely ignorant of James Bond, then what is your audience?

idunnosomename

i think there was also an issue for him as an antagonist in that the Simpsons never recognised him as one. i dont think it ever got to test audience stage.

the president Schwarzenegger was so weird though considering they have total simulacrum of him in their universe, and he didn't even do the voice

Video Game Fan 2000

I wonder if this was a long running debate for the writers since the villain of the Kamp Krusty story moted for the first attempt at the movie was the practically anonymous replacement in a suit Mr Black. Supposed to be a reoccuring villain but he never came back.

President Schwarzenegger definitely had the feel of something that was a product of a long boring debate rather than an actual joke

Mr. Ssmsslth

Quote from: king_tubby on April 21, 2021, 09:32:20 PM
If that character was made up for the film why would it matter if Hank Scorpio wasn't recognised by test audiences for the film?

That's exactly what I thought when I first heard about this! But it is mentioned on the DVD commentary.

JamesTC

Khan was in a single episode of Star Trek from 15 years earlier before when he was the main villain in Wrath of Khan. Hank Scorpio could easily have been the main villain, they just needed to write it in a way that it didn't matter if you had seen the earlier episode.

purlieu

Quote from: JamesTC on April 21, 2021, 09:30:30 PM
The seventh episode of Season 10 includes my favourite B plot in all of The Simpsons. I love Pinchy.
Yes, that's probably the best bit of the whole season. It still felt like a stretch for me, though.

Blumf

Don't think Scorpio would have worked in the Cargill role, at least for those of us who know who he is.

However, I wonder if a script that had Hank making a second attempt on the US would have made a good film. Have him re-hire Homer and we follow the Simpsons around seeing things from the opposite end of a James Bond story. Maybe have the whole town employed as henchmen.

thr0b

Scorpio would've been a crap villain, and would've required some writing around. The Simpsons never saw him as a villain, only the audience did. So for the plot to work, you'd have to spend a good portion of the film re-establishing the character and making the Simpsons note that he is and always was a villain.

Far simpler to just introduce a character who is an out-and-out villain or just use Burns, who was always an out-and-out villain.

JamesTC

Just realised that the longer The Simpsons goes on, the higher the chance they do "Who Shot Mr Burns Again!"

It is going to happen at some point, innit?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: thr0b on April 22, 2021, 02:11:54 PM
Scorpio would've been a crap villain, and would've required some writing around. The Simpsons never saw him as a villain, only the audience did. So for the plot to work, you'd have to spend a good portion of the film re-establishing the character and making the Simpsons note that he is and always was a villain.

Yeah. Scorpio working depended on no established characters acting as though they're in a James Bond parody. I have no faith that they'd have used to character without having Homer do James Bond shit for half the film.

Video Game Fan 2000

He'd have said "Simpson. Homer, Simpson" to the Krusty Burger booth and insisted that someone shake a donut or made martinis with Duff.

Jerzy Bondov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNwD2Wjdz0 Always found this quite funny, just because of the way Homer is smiling

Video Game Fan 2000

petril

Quote from: JamesTC on April 22, 2021, 02:52:05 PM
Just realised that the longer The Simpsons goes on, the higher the chance they do "Who Shot Mr Burns Again!"

they'd definitely kill him off and make that the premise of the episode. that they're killing off a tired character. one.

Bernice

Mr Burns has a gay cousin who brings the tips of his fingers together and says "fabulous".

thr0b

Quote from: JamesTC on April 22, 2021, 02:52:05 PM

Season 12.

https://comb.io/u6PUJl

Pink Gregory

Isn't Harry Shearer not on the show any more? 

I suppose it's different to voice actors who do one character being dropped.

Say, since Martin's VA died is he still around?

ajsmith2

Harry Shearers still on the show. He's threatened to quit roughly a billion times, but never followed through. His POC characters have recently been given over to POC actors though.

Martin's still on the show, they just got a replacement voice actor in, and no one can tell the diddly-ifference (except many have observed that they can).

Pink Gregory

For God's sake Harry, just do it.  You'll be a hero.

JamesTC

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 22, 2021, 08:34:02 PM
Martin's still on the show, they just got a replacement voice actor in.

Backup Martha

Old Nehamkin

In surprising but very welcome news, John Swartzwelder has just done his first ever major interview:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/john-swartzwelder-sage-of-the-simpsons

idunnosomename

Too bad this isn't really John Swartzwelder though!

wrec

Funny that he won't be drawn on Zombie Simpsons discourse but cites season 3 as the peak

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on May 02, 2021, 03:44:00 PM
In surprising but very welcome news, John Swartzwelder has just done his first ever major interview:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/john-swartzwelder-sage-of-the-simpsons

This feels monumentous enough to warrant its own thread, but I'm very tired.

Thursday

So many incredible quotes throughout that interview.

JamesTC

The stuff about him working from home and getting the dining booth installed in his home wasn't due to smoking! Myth busted. He just wanted to work from home and finds dining booths a good place to write.

Also agree with this:
Quote from: John SwartzwelderGrimey was asking for it the whole episode. He didn't approve of our Homer. He was asking for it, and he got it.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 02, 2021, 11:09:20 PM
This feels monumentous enough to warrant its own thread, but I'm very tired.

Agreed! Get this split from shit simpsons

JamesTC

Season 22 - Episode 1 - Elementary School Musical

Not to be confused with the South Park episode titled Elementary School Musical which aired two years earlier. SOUTH PARK DID IT!

Lisa and another bunch of nerd kids are watching the Nobel Price announcements on TV. Krusty wins the Novel Peace Prize.  Krusty picks Homer to go to Oslo with him to accept the award because he is so easy to make laugh and Homer gets Bart to tag along. Lisa is jealous. Marge makes Lisa feel better by taking her to performance arts camp. All the kids at the camp sing and dance. The Flight of the Concords guys are there as counsellors.

Turns out Krusty wasn't going to Oslo to accept an award, he was there to answer for crimes such as dropping a monkey of the Eiffel Tower. Flight of the Concords do a song and then Steven Hawking turns up with a turntable and a gold E=mc2 necklace. The week is up and Lisa is sad which is the plot of the episode.

Lisa goes to school but is depressed that she can't express herself the way she can at arts camp. Homer and Bart must find evidence of Krusty doing good works to free him from prison. Lisa is still sad at the dinner table and then she sneaks out at night. She tracks down The Flight of the Concords guys at a rundown flat in a dodgy neighbourhood (Sprooklyn). The Flight of the Concords do a song about how being an artist is bad.

Homer and Bart arrive at Krusty's trial with a DVD with information which can free Krusty but it is on a Region 1 DVD so they cannot play it. However one of the judges says he has a multi-region DVD player so it is all okay. Turns out Krusty accidentally freed Nelson Mandela because he refused to perform at Sun City until he was brought some potato chips. Lisa goes home but the Flight of the Concords guys do some mural for her which is supposed to be heartfelt but isn't. Then the Flight of the Concords go to their job as sandwich artists at Sprubway.

3/10

Blumf

Quote from: JamesTC on May 03, 2021, 07:27:40 PM
Then the Flight of the Concords go to their job as sandwich artists at Sprubway.

American Dad's take on Subway is 'Sub Hub' which a) sounds a lot more like a real business name, and b) actually reference 'sub' in it's name, the important bit that actually means long sandwich, what the fuck is a sprub here?

'Mapple', 'Blocko'... Zombie Simpsons is crap at these details.