Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:10:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons: A Journey Through Shit

Started by JamesTC, January 08, 2021, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapple MyPad?

Mapple MyPad
2 (7.1%)
Mapple MyPad
0 (0%)
Mapple MyPad
6 (21.4%)
Mapplethorpe
16 (57.1%)
Mapple MyPad
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 24, 2021, 08:55:16 AM

JamesTC

It is the episode where Homer becomes a Chinese acrobat.

gib

The only way you're allowed to stop watching these is when you home a retired greyhound.

JaDanketies

Funeral for a Fiend and Eternal Moonshine were some of the episodes that stand out in my memory, so by being memorable they are better than most later-era Simpsons.

There's a period where the animation is occasionally technically gorgeous, even of the jokes are shit. Vague memories of an episode about CCTV and one where Bart and Lisa chase their parents around as they try to have a romantic holiday as examples of this.

Pink Gregory

The Catch me if You Can pastiche?  I'm sure that was pre-movie, I remember liking it enough, though that sequence is good in itself.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: JamesTC on January 10, 2021, 01:17:32 PM
Every wacky ridiculous storyline that would never happen that they mentioned in 2002 has subsequently happened in one form or another. Although it was Maggie who got a bear instead of Bart.

did they manage to write an episode around 'doo doo doo doo doo'?

Marner and Me

Why are you putting yourself through this? Series 8 of Red Dwarf sounds better.

Pink Gregory

I think the most recent episode that I've seen (must have been in the 20s, season-wise) the actual gags were fairly decent, but the characters are basically wafer thin at this point, almost like trying to shoehorn sketch humour into what is nominally a sitcom. 

Shit Good Nose

I stopped watching at the end of season 11 as I thought it had well worn out its welcome by then but, from memory, the only episode I actually thought was any good in that season (bar the odd gag here and there) was the one with the monkey knife fight.

Reading this thread is quite something, to the point where, in retrospect, JamesTC's episode overviews make The Movie seem like a completely decent entry rather than the ho-hum-shrug-shoulders-it's-alright-I-guess-but-I-doubt-I'll-watch-it-again feeling that most people had when it came out.

Quote from: JamesTC on January 09, 2021, 08:53:06 PM
Season 19 - Episode 7 - Husbands and Knives

A new comic book store opens and it is owned by Jack Black. Marge compares herself to a Wonder Woman cut-out and decides she needs to go to the gym. Comic Book Guy trashes the new comic book store but gets beat up by some comic book artists led by Alan Moore. He then closes his store.

Marge hates the gym so opens a women's only gym in the location the old comic book store was and it becomes really successful which is the plot of the episode.

Homer initially enjoys the newfound success but is then convinced by some men on "wife support" that she will trade him in for a better man. He realises he needs his stomach stapled in order to keep Marge. Newly thin Homer now needs more plastic surgery which turns him into Frankenstein's monster. Jesus fucking Christ just look at this.

Turns out it was a dream and he never got the surgery. A meteor heads for the earth. Credits roll.

I honestly thought I had missed a line of dialogue about Marge's successful business ending but I didn't. They just completely ignore it at the end. They also ignore Comic Book Guy losing his store. You had 15 seconds for an Ok Go reference but none for a couple of lines of dialogue to resolve the plot of the episode?

2/10 - Baffling. They just don't give a shit.

This is pure desolation.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 10, 2021, 01:10:33 PM
Can't tell if that's a real storyline or not.
It is. Selma starts having hot flushes and realises the menopause is imminent, so she tries to adopt from China but they won't give a single woman a baby. She and Marge get Homer to pretend to be her husband. The ruse falls apart and Selma appeals to the woman in charge of the adoption agency "bureaucrat to bureaucrat" with a line that seems like it belongs in Futurama. The adoption woman was raised by a single mother and lets Selma take the baby whose name escapes me, she's that forgettable. They go home and three Chinese dragons that Homer hallucinated earlier sing

"American jerks are going home
Now we sleep for a thousand years
When we wake the world will end"

Wonderful Butternut

JamesTC

Quote from: gib on January 10, 2021, 01:29:39 PM
The only way you're allowed to stop watching these is when you home a retired greyhound.

If I keep overpaying my mortgage at the current rate then I should be able to afford it in 4 years time...

ajsmith2

Wonder if The Simpsons will make it to season 50 now.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 10, 2021, 03:53:12 PM
Wonder if The Simpsons will make it to season 50 now.

They've been losing about half a million viewers per season for the last 10 years or so and numbers are at an all-time low, but that's only relative to current viewing habits with streaming and on-demand - audiences are spread so thin now, I'm pretty sure the average is still good enough to carry on flogging the horse for a while yet.

JamesTC

Season 19 - Episode 12 - Love, Springfieldian Style

"For the next two hours we'll be kid free. It'll be just like the time we lost them at the mall. That was the best Christmas ever" - I liked that line enough to quote it... good start.

The family visit a fair for Valentine's Day. After Bart plays a prank on Homer and Marge, they are trapped in a love tunnel and they must tell three tales of love. It is a Treehouse of Horror but with valentines stories.

Bonnie and Clyde

Marge and Homer are cast in the roles of Bonnie and Clyde. That is it. Nothing else happens of note.

Homer finishes telling the story with everyone getting shot. Marge tells the next story...

Shady and the Vamp

Marge and Homer are cast in the roles of Lady and the Tramp. Goofy gets murdered in a gas chamber. Oh actually he's okay and makes a joke about working for Disney.

They've already done this with Santa's Little Helper so why are they doing it again but turning actual humans into dogs? Baffling.

Homer gets bored with the story so Bart tells the next story.

Sid and Nancy

Lisa is Nancy Spungen and Nelson is Sid Vicious with a bunch of other kids as the rest of the Sex Pistols. Nancy and Sid have a chocolate addiction. Bart (Johnny Rotton) says bollocks a lot. What is the point in this segment? Why is Bart telling this story?

2/10 - They are running out of ideas at such an alarmingly bad rate. 

Leo2112

Dear god.  Keep posting more horrific screengrabs like this where necessary James.

JamesTC

Season 19 - Episode 13 - The Debarted

Marge murders Hans Moleman in a car crash while driving Homer's car. Bart is concerned when a new kid called Donny (played by Topher Grace) arrives and is really cool which is the plot of the episode.

Homer gets a loaner car while his is repaired. He loves his new car.

Bart plays a prank to try to convince the school that he is still cool. This involves some magnets in Skinner's shoes which lead to him doing a funny dance. The new kid takes the blame for the prank but it is then revealed that the new kid is a spy. Bart then befriends the new kid without knowing he is a snitch.

Homer takes Marge on a romantic drive but the evening is ruined by a call saying the repairs are finished on his car so he can now return the loaner car. Homer refuses to bring back the loaner car.

All of Bart's pranks are foiled in a montage. Groundskeeper Willie reveals to Bart that there is a snitch. Bart suspects Millhouse, so he locks him in a locker which Cletus mistakes for a futuristic outhouse. Celtus does a big poo and wee on Millhouse.

Homer sees his old car getting sold for $99 and about to be sold so he realises he loves the car and that is the end of that plot.

Bart realises Donny is the rat so reveals his going to do a huge prank involving mentos and Diet Coke but then it turns out that Groundskeeper Willie is a double spy and was actually working for Skinner the whole time. Bart is going to be sent to juvie but then Donny feels bad so he blows up the mentos and Diet Coke so Bart can escape. Donny and Bart say goodbye. Joke about Ralph in a bin and a rat which is a reference to a film from 2006 which I've not seen.

3/10

JamesTC

Quote from: Leo2112 on January 10, 2021, 04:33:51 PM
Dear god.  Keep posting more horrific screengrabs like this where necessary James.

I was going to say it is a shame that the Frinkiac doesn't go past Season 17 but actually it isn't.

JamesTC

Season 19 - Episode 14 - Dial "N" for Nerder

Homer is too fat to have sex so Marge puts him on a diet. He was put on a diet a few episodes ago. Marge gets him a nutritionist who suggests replacing everything he eats with bell peppers. Homer ends up putting on weight, so Marge thinks he is cheating on his diet. Marge calls a TV show designed for people to find if their spouses are cheating on them.

Bart and Lisa go to the Springfield National Park and find Martin on the top of the mountain. Gay joke. Bart plays a prank on Martin which leads to him falling off the mountain. The police believe he fell and was eaten by a cougar so Bart and Lisa are off the hook. Bart wants to turn himself in but Lisa is worried about going to prison so convinces him not to.

The TV show find that Homer is cheating on his diet.

Bart recovers all of Martin's old stuff which Groundskeeper Willie threw out. Nelson suspects foul play in Martin's death. Bart acts really weird as he is feeling guilty about the whole murder thing. Eventually Bart leaves a note saying he is going to end it all at Martin's house so Lisa goes to stop him committing suicide but it turns out that he is just finishing some of Martin's old projects that he found earlier mongst Martin's things.

Marge realises that the TV show is just trying to break them up so she tells them she doesn't care that Homer is overweight. The TV show say they will edit the show to make Marge look insane.

Lisa goes crazy and admits she committed murder which Nelson gets on tape. Then Martin arrives because he didn't die and had just spent three days crafting a skirt. Credits roll.

3/10

Phil_A

Season 19 - Episode 7 - Husbands and Knives

A new comic book store opens and it is owned by Jack Black. Marge compares herself to a Wonder Woman cut-out and decides she needs to go to the gym. Comic Book Guy trashes the new comic book store but gets beat up by some comic book artists led by Alan Moore. He then closes his store.

Marge hates the gym so opens a women's only gym in the location the old comic book store was and it becomes really successful which is the plot of the episode.

Homer initially enjoys the newfound success but is then convinced by some men on "wife support" that she will trade him in for a better man. He realises he needs his stomach stapled in order to keep Marge. Newly thin Homer now needs more plastic surgery which turns him into Frankenstein's monster. Jesus fucking Christ just look at this.

I saw that episode once, years ago, but I still remember how creepy the design of that beefed-up Homer was.

JamesTC

Season 19 - Episode 15 - Smoke on the Daughter

I saw this episode when it went out in 2008. I remember nothing aside from that.

A ballet academy is coming to Springfield and Marge reveals her shattered dreams of being a ballerina because her boobs came in disproportionately. Marge reassured Lisa that she will have her father's boobs. Lisa accompanies Marge to the ballet academy.

While Marge and Lisa are out, Homer takes Bart to the basement to show him a secret. Gay joke. Turns out Homer makes jerky in the basement.

Marge isn't limber enough to be a ballet dancer. Turns out Lisa could be one though so Marge forces her into it. Remember when Bart became a ballet dancer? I do. Remember when Lisa became a tap dancer? I do.

Turns out all the ballet dancers smoke and Lisa becomes addicted to the second hand smoke which also helps her become a better dancer and this is the plot of the episode.

All of Homer's home-made jerky is missing. Homer initially blames Flanders but it turns out it was some racoons. Homer and Bart try to trap the racoons with jerky laced with sleeping pills but Homer eats it leading to him shooting a crossbow close to a truck transporting archery targets which leads to the truck crashing into a tree and going on fire, presumably killing the driver.

Turns out the racoons are all just like the Simpson family including a Homer racoon, a Marge racoon, a Bart racoon and a Lisa racoon. Homer decides to be friends with the racoons.

Lisa nearly starts to smoke but Homer catches her and thrown the cigarette to the ground and shoots it. He goes home to tell Marge he is pulling her out of the dance class but Marge says Lisa is making her so happy so he can't do it. Homer enlists Bart to stop Lisa smoking. Lisa becomes uncoordinated without the second hand smoke and gives in to peer pressure, so Bart informs Homer.

Homer uses the help of a racoon to steal all of the cigarettes. All the ballet dancers desperately try to smoke random stuff like their own hair or the programme for the ballet show. Lisa quits ballet as she considers it oppressive to women (wait what?). Credits roll.

3/10

C_Larence

Quote from: JamesTC on January 10, 2021, 05:53:51 PM
Season 19 - Episode 15 - Smoke on the Daughter

I saw this episode when it went out in 2008. I remember nothing aside from that.

Christ, you're talking about them running out of ideas and these were 13 years ago?

JamesTC

Quote from: C_Larence on January 10, 2021, 06:01:09 PM
Christ, you're talking about them running out of ideas and these were 13 years ago?

Don't worry, loads of films and memes have come out since then which they can copy a year or two too late.

Blumf

Quote from: JamesTC on January 10, 2021, 01:17:32 PM
Every wacky ridiculous storyline that would never happen that they mentioned in 2002 has subsequently happened in one form or another. Although it was Maggie who got a bear instead of Bart.

I was going to say not the Marge becomes a robot idea (at least outside of Treehouse eps) but no, S31E11 Hail to the Teeth did.

Glad I swore off the show at the Lady Gaga episode.

JamesTC

Season 19 - Episode 16 - Papa Don't Leech

Grandpa crashes the car which has happened in an earlier episode. Homer murders Grandpa to stop his death costing him money. Oh it was all a dream and Homer had fallen asleep while driving Lisa to sell Girl Scout cookies.

Lisa tries to sell cookies to Mayor Quimby but they are out of money in the Springfield Treasury. Mayor Quimby organises a meeting to raise money... for the second time this season. Homer suggests faking a national disaster for relief money which the town agrees to but then they get scammed for even more money. Lisa discovers that the town has uncollected taxes in their history so Quimby says they should collect all the tax. One of the people who owes tax is Lurleen Lumpkin who the town are now searching for.

Lurleen seeks out Homer's help to hide her from the town. Marge is not happy and says she must go to her own home, but it turns out she is homeless so Marge lets her stay. Chief Wiggum arrests Lurleen and she is told to pay off her debts. Lurleen has no money as it all went to her ex-husbands (who all look like Homer). Lurleen gets a job at Moe's and turns down advances from Lenny and Carl.

Marge works out that Lurleen has father issues somehow and goes to find her father. She tracks him down. They reunite and Lurleen writes a song. Then her father leaves her again and passes off the song as his own by selling it to the Dixie Chicks. Homer dons his Colonel Homer outfit to inspire Lurleen. Lurleen informs the Dixie Chicks of the plagarism so they attack Lurleen's father and offer Lurleen a job as an opening act. Lurleen marries another man who looks like Homer. Marge threatens to strangle Lurleen if she ever comes near Homer again. Credits roll.

3/10 - Really worth bringing Lurleen back for THAT.

mr. logic

Thanks for these. Loving them, especially the withering 'and this is this is the plot of the episode'

JamesTC

Season 19 - Episode 17 - Apocalypse Cow

Bart accompanies Homer to the beanbag store. On the way they encounter Martin Prince driving a combine harvester as part of the "4-H Club" so Bart joins.

Bart learns how to be a farmer. The club are all told about a competition to take care of a cow over Summer so Bart takes care of a bull named Lou and meets a girl called Mary which is the plot of the episode.

Bart wins the competition but that means Lou will go to the slaughterhouse. Gay cowboy joke. Bart wants to save Lou so enlists Lisa's help. They rescue Lou using a forklift.

Bart takes Lou to Mary's farm which is owned by her father Cletus. Cletus takes this is a formal proposal of marriage due to the rules of the hill folk. Lisa tells Bart to go along with it for the time being so Lou will be okay. Lisa asks for Marge and Homer's help.

Marge stops the marriage so Cletus sends Lou to the slaughterhouse, but it is actually Homer in a suit. Lou has been sent to India to be treated like a god.  Homer is rescued just before being minced. Bart reflects that he "had a cow, man".

3/10

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I'm getting flashbacks from all of these

please continue

JamesTC

Season 19 - Episode 18 - Any Given Sundance

The family go to a BBQ in the parking lot if the football stadium. Ralph eats his hand. Homer asphyxiates Hans Moleman while stealing his chops. Lisa begins recording the BBQ and believes it makes her a born filmmaker. Skinner takes an interest in Lisa's filmmaking and gives her access to the school equipment to do a film about her family which is the plot of the episode.

Lisa starts recording her film with a montage. Super Nintendo Chalmers takes interest in the film and wants the film to be shown at Sundance. Sundance agree to show the film so The Simpsons are going to Utah. The crowd make horrible remarks about the family ("DEATH TO MAGGIE") but give the film a standing ovation. The family are appalled by how they are portrayed. Comic Book Guy posts a glowing review.

Skinner and Chalmers sell the rights to the film. Lisa feels bad. Skinner and Chalmers' follow-up film is by Nelson and it convinces Lisa that other families have bigger problems so I guess that makes things okay. Marge asserts that there will be no more Simpsons movies as one was plenty.

John C. Reilly auditions for the part of "Ghost Willie". Credits roll.

3/10.

DrGreggles

These pun titles are shit too.
And I bet a lot of these were written 'title first'.

JamesTC

Season 19 - Episode 19 - Mona Leaves-a

Second episode of The Simpsons to have a Mona Lisa pun in the title. The well is dry.

The Simpsons are at the mall. Maggie wants to go to a build-a-bear style store. Homer murders some bears.

The family return home to find the front door open and somebody is in the kitchen. Homer's mother is back... again... which is the plot of the episode. Homer refuses to forgive his mother as he does not want to be disappointed by being abandoned again. After rejecting his mother again he feels bad and makes her a card but when he goes down to give it to her she is dead.

The family find a video will from Mona. She leaves an item to each member of the family. She wants Homer to release her ashes from the top of Springfield Monument Park. Homer does it but it turns out it is part of another protest from Mona which disappoints Homer.

The ashes disrupt a nuclear missile launch from Mr Burns which was to send some waste into the Amazon Rainforest. Mr Burns captures Homer. The family rescue Homer using the items left by Mona. Homer stops the launch and causes the missile to self-destruct.

Montage of clips of Mona and Homer from earlier episodes. Credits roll.

3/10

They couldn't make something with one tenth of the emotion of this if they tried...

Oh and by the way, this episode guest starred Lance Armstrong.