Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:52:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons: A Journey Through Shit

Started by JamesTC, January 08, 2021, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapple MyPad?

Mapple MyPad
2 (7.1%)
Mapple MyPad
0 (0%)
Mapple MyPad
6 (21.4%)
Mapplethorpe
16 (57.1%)
Mapple MyPad
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 24, 2021, 08:55:16 AM

idunnosomename

You don't wanna know what Newman does at the end

purlieu

I always had it in my head that 10 was the end of classic Simpsons, but when it came to watching it I found is very, very hard going. Totally disjointed plots that make no sense, barely any warmth, weird out of character jokes. Uncomfortable viewing and I had to stop.

idunnosomename

that's what I feel about 10 onwards. I genuinely find it unpleasant to watch because Homer in particular is such a horrible person. there's a few good jokes here and there but I don't think any episodes are "classic". I think then you have the slump from Family Guy years into the general mud this thread is about

JamesTC

purlieu

What I will say about 10 is it does feel like they're experimenting and trying to push the show, it's just being pushed into a largely unpleasant thing.

idunnosomename

I mean although it's got some funny bits I can't say I enjoy the joke it's contrived towards that Homer's going to eat his new pet. it's clearly pushed towards a new sort of humour that you wouldn't have in earlier seasons.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Per the e-book/blog post "Zombie Simpsons", around seasons 8-10 the writers and showrunners genuinely thought the show wasn't going to be on the air much longer, and that's why they went with more outlandish episodes like The Principal and the Pauper, and metacommentary episodes like Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie. Who could've known the show would be renewed and "live" for another 22 seasons. Boy, I bet their faces are red.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: JamesTC on June 23, 2021, 05:08:24 PM
Elaine rapes Jerry in a steroid fuelled passion.

George and Jerry drug a woman to gain access to her vintage toys happened.

Other stuff that was an indication of where it was heading:

Elaine stealing and eating antique wedding cake while dancing around the office.
George and the Frogger machine.
Gross gag of Newman laughing with his mouth open while eating junk food occurs in at least two episodes.
Puerto Rican Day.

Seinfeld never became anything less than great but there were plenty of clues of what he equivalent of Simpson seasons 15-20 would've been like. One of the things is they carried on with the thing of mentioning brand names and making brand names a part of the plot, which was a hallmark of excellent early episodes but once that became stale it was over. The later episode where George has a weird mantra about Twix bars that he repeats to everyone they meet in a car dealership is close to Zombie Seinfeld, even though its a decent episode. 

Also Seinfeld would still be dating hot 25 year old hipsters as the show rolled into season 35.

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 23, 2021, 10:34:08 PM
I mean although it's got some funny bits I can't say I enjoy the joke it's contrived towards that Homer's going to eat his new pet. it's clearly pushed towards a new sort of humour that you wouldn't have in earlier seasons.

Pinchy would have wanted it that way.

Just like many shows, it tried a new direction. Even if the direction wasn't ideal, I think enough of the writers were still there to keep the quality to an above average level. The production run that starts a few episodes into Season 11 is such a clear drop from the previous one that I can only assume that is where things really changed in the writer's room.

Season 11-12 hover in and around average to slightly below average. From them on it is a nearly constant droning of bad with barely the odd highlight grimly fazing through. The television equivalent of the sixth stage of Everywhere at the End of Time.

Video Game Fan 2000

I think keeping the Simpson family the center of the show was the fatal error, they should've used the 22 Short Films episode as a template and gradually rebranded to Springfield Stories or whatever was suggested. 22 Short Films and the 138th Episode Spectacular near the same tone and humour as Zombie Simpsons but they're brilliant. A slightly meaner tone and crueller humour would've been ok so long as it wasn't beloved characters being mean to family members for no reason.

JamesTC

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 23, 2021, 10:46:41 PM
Seinfeld never became anything less than great but there were plenty of clues of what he equivalent of Simpson seasons 15-20 would've been like. One of the things is they carried on with the thing of mentioning brand names and making brand names a part of the plot, which was a hallmark of excellent early episodes but once that became stale it was over. The later episode where George has a weird mantra about Twix bars that he repeats to everyone they meet in a car dealership is close to Zombie Seinfeld, even though its a decent episode. 

Also Seinfeld would still be dating hot 25 year old hipsters as the show rolled into season 35.

I've seen some people say that the Season 7 finale was too far. I loved it myself. And for me the more slapstick Season 8 was my favourite (although there is very little between 4-8).

I do think if Zombie Seinfeld happened, then people would probably draw the line at the end of Season 7 or the end of Season 8. Much like the debate over whether the line with The Simpsons is Season 8 or 9.

It is interesting that I think the longevity of The Simpsons changes the perception of the early seasons and perhaps leaves them not getting the credit they deserve. Framed as the behemoth of The Simpsons, the first nine seasons are just the "good" or "classic" seasons of the show. Framed as a sitcom, the first nine seasons are up there with the very best. But I don't think The Simpsons comes to mind as a sitcom like any other. If I'm being kind I could say it is a victim of its own success in that it has transcended its genre.

Video Game Fan 2000

I love the Envelopes. The scene where George is told his fiancé is dead and is trying not to smile one of the most incredible things ever put in a comedy show. The conceit is clearly too far but the execution is unreal, the pay off is worth it.

I think the biggest issue was keeping it obvious that the cast were all horrible people. I actually like the finale for this reason: Larry David comes back to pound it home that these people are arseholes through and through. I'd probably skip if most of the time if I was doing a rewatch but I think its mostly well done.

The last season has wacky stuff like The Frogger and The Butter Shave that are still good episodes but show where it was heading. Then there's The Maid. It's interesting to think if people drew the line at series 7, would that mean that later stuff like Festivus and "the pig says my wife is a slut" wouldn't be remembered as well?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 23, 2021, 11:14:54 PM
I think keeping the Simpson family the center of the show was the fatal error, they should've used the 22 Short Films episode as a template and gradually rebranded to Springfield Stories or whatever was suggested.
Nah man the fatal error was keeping it on the air. I'm sure I've said it earlier in the thread but with live action sitcoms there's a natural end-point. The child actors age out, the break-out star/main one wants to do movies, the actors generally get fed up and want to move on with their careers. With animation, all the actors have to do is read lines. The original creator(s) might get fed up of the show, but there's nothing to stop them signing over some or all of the rights to a production company and continuing to get royalties. The Simpsons will keep going "until such time as the show becomes unprofitable".

Video Game Fan 2000

The sketch show format worked so amazingly well, though. The writers really seem revitalised and the characters are lively again. I'd gladly trade season 9 or 10 for a six episode series of sketch shows to see if it could work. Probably not as you say, but I'd have loved it if they tried.

JamesTC

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 23, 2021, 11:44:57 PMI think the biggest issue was keeping it obvious that the cast were all horrible people. I actually like the finale for this reason: Larry David comes back to pound it home that these people are arseholes through and through.

I thought I was the only one who liked the finale. Though at least we got a tremendous season of Curb out of the bad reputation of it.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 23, 2021, 11:44:57 PMThe last season has wacky stuff like The Frogger and The Butter Shave that are still good episodes but show where it was heading. Then there's The Maid. It's interesting to think if people drew the line at series 7, would that mean that later stuff like Festivus and "the pig says my wife is a slut" wouldn't be remembered as well?

There are still well regarded moments in Season 9-10 of The Simpsons. The leader song and Max Power come to mind as regularly repeated stuff. Even in the shit clip show in Season 9 you've got the Paint Your Wagon song.

Just look at Only Fools. It is generally considered by most that the last trilogy was awful yet the general public still consider "Gary" to be a classic moment. I once had a job in a call centre for a short time and while training we were taught by a guy called Gary and loads of people started doing the "Gary" quote. I was shocked at just how pervasive that was.

Video Game Fan 2000

Max Power is truly horrible. but I'm a big fan of the Paint Your Wagon parody. I'd put Trash of the Titans up as a candidate for a late good one, but it pales to City of New York v Homer Simpson which is my personal Simpsons last season finale.

I've still never seen the Gary! episode of Only Fools. I was genuinely pissed off by the Christmas trilogy before I'd completely sworn off it. Aside from Triggers broom it was three episodes of piss-off after piss-off. I remember my friends at school were all anticipating it and straight after the christmas holidays we all got together and tore it apart.

JamesTC

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 24, 2021, 12:06:54 AM

I've still never seen the Gary! episode of Only Fools. I was genuinely pissed off by the Christmas trilogy before I'd completely sworn off it.

You're in luck. The classic Gary clip is on YouTube.

Video Game Fan 2000

Video Game Fan 2000

I was imagining someone called Gary doing something funny and Del Boy shouting Gary! or summat

Fuck me thats a long way to drop from broken lawnmower engines.

JamesTC

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 24, 2021, 12:17:31 AM
I was imagining someone called Gary doing something funny and Del Boy showing Gary! or summat

Fuck me thats a long way to drop from broken lawnmower engines.

They accidentally kidnap him from France when bringing over some booze in Denzil's truck. Later on in the episode, Boycie comes over to stay as Marlene has kicked him out for smelling of onions and he accidentally threatens Gary with a knife while making a sandwich.

Earlier in the episode it was revealed that Uncle Albert had fucked every bird in this French town and now everybody from there has an Uncle Albert beard.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: JamesTC on June 24, 2021, 12:21:56 AM
Earlier in the episode it was revealed that Uncle Albert had fucked every bird in this French town and now everybody from there has an Uncle Albert beard.

I've on and off lurked on this forum for over 10 years, probably 15 at least and been convinced the whole time that this was a CaB in joke.

Hat fucked.

idunnosomename

is this the only fools shitposting thread good sirs

Video Game Fan 2000

Turns out Del Boy himself beat us to it 20 years ago and nobody told me.

madhair60

Quote from: JamesTC on June 24, 2021, 12:21:56 AM
They accidentally kidnap him from France when bringing over some booze in Denzil's truck

which is the plot of the episode.

purlieu

Hate to drag this thread further into a OFAH Final Trilogy hole, but I still think the famous 'Gary' line is a great joke, because it works so well in the episode's context, showing up Del and Rodney's increasingly ridiculous lie. The desperation in his voice as he says the word is great. But, as with most famous OFAH gags, it doesn't live well outside the episode itself. Stewart Lee's takedown of the bar gag is spot on, not because it's unfunny, but because there's no sitcom joke in history that actually stands up on its own, out of the episode's context, as a repeatable gag.

Although if there was one, it would absolutely be a classic-era Simpsons joke.

Video Game Fan 2000

The irony of the Stewart Lee bit is that 10 years later its now a comedy bit whose context is now long gone.

I don't think in the age of memes those "classic comedy moments" things are such monocultural unifiers. You can just watch stuff whenever,  I can't imagine seeing montages of "classic moments" with we're on to a winner here Trig, a pint that's nearly an armful, don't tell him pike, is mr kodobo a coloured gentleman? its joined the choir invisible, etc just cycled through with only the slimmest context. Just the line and audience reaction. You can go online or one of 1000 digital channels and see the whole thing.

With all the stuff about the Friends reunion, its not classic moments people care about its more about the vibe or aesthetic of the show. Or maybe Friends is just awful.

idunnosomename

I think we're on to a winner here Bart! Play it nice and cool: if you know what I mean...

D'oh!

Leej88

The Max Power episode is funny until they tie them up to the trees then it goes bad.

JamesTC

I don't think discussing the OFAH final trilogy is off topic for this thread. It is fascinating comparing how other long loved sitcoms fared in their later years.

Frasier went off the boil in later seasons but actually had a strong Season 11 to end it. Will be interesting to see how the new follow-up fares in comparison to New Simpsons or OFAH.

Leej88

I like to think one of the kids nicked the bus when Krusty was left there lol.