Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:27:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Orange Cunt Finally Booted Off Twitter

Started by Small Potatoes, January 08, 2021, 11:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2020/suspension.html

QuoteAfter close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence.

In the context of horrific events this week, we made it clear on Wednesday that additional violations of the Twitter Rules would potentially result in this very course of action. Our public interest framework exists to enable the public to hear from elected officials and world leaders directly. It is built on a principle that the people have a right to hold power to account in the open.

However, we made it clear going back years that these accounts are not above our rules entirely and cannot use Twitter to incite violence, among other things. We will continue to be transparent around our policies and their enforcement.

The below is a comprehensive analysis of our policy enforcement approach in this case.

Overview

On January 8, 2021, President Donald J. Trump tweeted:

"The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!"

Shortly thereafter, the President tweeted:

"To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th."

Due to the ongoing tensions in the United States, and an uptick in the global conversation in regards to the people who violently stormed the Capitol on January 6, 2021, these two Tweets must be read in the context of broader events in the country and the ways in which the President's statements can be mobilized by different audiences, including to incite violence, as well as in the context of the pattern of behavior from this account in recent weeks. After assessing the language in these Tweets against our Glorification of Violence policy, we have determined that these Tweets are in violation of the Glorification of Violence Policy and the user @realDonaldTrump should be immediately permanently suspended from the service.

Assessment

We assessed the two Tweets referenced above under our Glorification of Violence policy, which aims to prevent the glorification of violence that could inspire others to replicate violent acts and determined that they were highly likely to encourage and inspire people to replicate the criminal acts that took place at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.

This determination is based on a number of factors, including:

President Trump's statement that he will not be attending the Inauguration is being received by a number of his supporters as further confirmation that the election was not legitimate and is seen as him disavowing his previous claim made via two Tweets (1, 2) by his Deputy Chief of Staff, Dan Scavino, that there would be an "orderly transition" on January 20th.

The second Tweet may also serve as encouragement to those potentially considering violent acts that the Inauguration would be a "safe" target, as he will not be attending.

The use of the words "American Patriots" to describe some of his supporters is also being interpreted as support for those committing violent acts at the US Capitol.

The mention of his supporters having a "GIANT VOICE long into the future" and that "They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!" is being interpreted as further indication that President Trump does not plan to facilitate an "orderly transition" and instead that he plans to continue to support, empower, and shield those who believe he won the election.

Plans for future armed protests have already begun proliferating on and off-Twitter, including a proposed secondary attack on the US Capitol and state capitol buildings on January 17, 2021.

As such, our determination is that the two Tweets above are likely to inspire others to replicate the violent acts that took place on January 6, 2021, and that there are multiple indicators that they are being received and understood as encouragement to do so.

C_Larence

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 08, 2021, 11:49:43 PM
Probably alrite given that his entire tweeting history has probably been archived 1000-fold.

https://www.thetrumparchive.com/

Right you are

The Mollusk

Crock of shite. "Oh he's really gone too far this time!" Right yeah, this time.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Of course Twitter couldn't do the football referee thing of an 'accumulation of offences' as that would leave them open to all kinds of attack, so instead they have chosen to latch on to some tweets that his base can easily argue are harmless just because they happen to be timely in coinciding with him doing something legitimately illegal.

They really fucked themselves over by continuing to let him gradually up the ante without properly stepping up.

Even if this won't convince the die-hards, Trump and the Republican Party must be bleeding casual voters right now.

Wonderful Butternut

Really nice to see social media banning Trump and all his White House staff jumping ship when he has a whole 11 days of his Presidency left.

It's not like the entire bloody world were telling them that this guy was a dangerous lunatic for 4 years.

Still about worth a "get rekt, scrub" I suppose.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 09, 2021, 12:09:01 AM
Even if this won't convince the die-hards, Trump and the Republican Party must be bleeding casual voters right now.

The Republicans will have them back by mid-term. Trump will be written off as a 4 year aberration and really the fault of the liberal elites in any case. A guy who believes 99% of the same stuff but is just less overt and deranged? Sign me up! The Democrats will raise my taxes and make me use proper pronouns.

imitationleather

Zetetic

Thanks, Lord Dorsey, for all your close reading.

Thursday

Oh I see, so we're no platforming presidents now eh!? And the left thinks this is good? Unbelievable.

Thursday

Looking forward to his article about this in the guardian tomorrow.

imitationleather

Quote from: Thursday on January 09, 2021, 12:19:26 AM
Looking forward to his article about this in the guardian tomorrow.

And his appearance on a Glinner stream while wearing a paper crown.

idunnosomename

he actually still has this: https://twitter.com/POTUS

which I think Obama used to use a lot? even primarily? donald for some reason kept using his old account even though it wasn't even a very good handle

Mister Six

I'm assuming they decided the potential lawsuit payouts in the event of being found liable for terrorism or a civil war outweighed the traffic he brought in.

Blue Jam

Zetetic

Quote from: Mister Six on January 09, 2021, 12:29:58 AM
I'm assuming they decided the potential lawsuit payouts in the event of being found liable for terrorism or a civil war outweighed the traffic he brought in.
Nah. Section 230 and similar currently protects them pretty well from anything like that.[nb]Edit: The emphasis on their part that this is about incitement to violence and the Trump Admin's work to reform 230, is interesting. The aim of that reform was, broadly, to make it harder to do things like suspend Trump's account without Twitter making itself liable for all the actual straightforward threats it doesn't catch.[/nb]

The longer-term cost-benefit calculation of trying to avoid government regulation by pre-empting it, perhaps.

Edit: Not just Trump who was aiming at reworking 230, of course...

Ferris

Does he have a platform left now? I'd love to check in and see him taking all this with his usual dignity, but actually don't think I am able to.

Is he on Parler? Or Gab? Bet he is.

Zetetic

jobotic

I hope Toby Young's Free Speech Union has an International Officer to lend their help.

Zetetic

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 09, 2021, 12:32:48 AM
Does he have a platform left now?... Is he on Parler?
Being removed from Apple and Google App Stores by the look of things.

Wonder if he'll be able to leverage emails to pull people to a platform.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Oh, well done, Twitter. Here's a fucking medal.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Just wait till the Better Business Bureau get wind of this.

Sonny_Jim

Guardian now reporting Parker has been removed from the play store.  Web client should still work, however.  Plus it's a piece of Pisa to sideload software on Android

chveik

idunnosomename

do you think Brendan O'Neill has started his bit yet or will he toss it off in the morning?

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 09, 2021, 01:17:44 AM
Plus it's a piece of Pisa to sideload software on Android

Not for Fox News grandpas

St_Eddie

Neomod

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 09, 2021, 01:17:44 AM
Guardian now reporting Parker has been removed from the play store.

Quite right too.