Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Orange Cunt Finally Booted Off Twitter

Started by Small Potatoes, January 08, 2021, 11:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jittlebags

Anyone done the Not Looking Good For Corbyn one yet? If not, that's mine.

Mr Banlon

Trump tried tweeting from his @POTUS account, but the tweets were removed and the account was locked.
He then tried to tweet from @teamtrump account, but that's now suspended. He'll probably try from Ivanka's or Jr's next.

Quote from: Mr Banlon on January 09, 2021, 02:39:48 AM
Trump tried tweeting from his @POTUS account, but the tweets were removed and the account was locked.
He then tried to tweet from @teamtrump account, but that's now suspended. He'll probably try from Ivanka's or Jr's next.

What did he say? Bet it was something calm and reasonable.

Sonny_Jim

Ooh stopping him tweeting from @POTUS is a bit rum.  I figured they were well within the law to stop a public person from using their service, gets a little bit tricky when that account is a government one.  More than likely it's going to end up in a lawsuit between twitter and Trump. 

What a great start to the year, eh lads?

EDIT:

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 09, 2021, 02:53:04 AM
Ooh stopping him tweeting from @POTUS is a bit rum.  I figured they were well within the law to stop a public person from using their service, gets a little bit tricky when that account is a government one.  More than likely it's going to end up in a lawsuit between twitter and Trump. 

The government cannot force its way into a private platform. The exception would be if Twitter was ruled some type of public utility, like the old broadcast frequencies (in a very confusing and ineffectual way), though that would be a good thing.

He's also nullified any legal argument by reactivating under @POTUS to advertise his private business dealings. Not government content.

Ferris

Ooh stopping him tweeting from @POTUS is a bit rum.  I figured they were well within the law to stop a public person from using their service, gets a little bit tricky when that account is a government one.

Not really. It's their service, they can do what they like. Doubt there's anything trump can do about it.

Actually it would be funny if Trump seized bandwidth on Twitter as a claimed use of eminent domain. Seems defensible to be honest.

Sonny_Jim

Yeah I can't see Trump winning any lawsuit over Twitter, although I do find it utterly amusing that the 'FREEDOM OF SPEECH' people don't seem to realise it can work the other way. 

No business has to serve you if it doesn't want to (outside of protected classes).

St_Eddie

Haha.  He's actually gone full on Glinner and is looking into building his own social networking platform.  Brilliant.  Perhaps he could call it Twatter.

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 09, 2021, 03:27:42 AM
Haha.  He's actually gone full on Glinner and is looking into building his own social networking platform.

Dondr

Trumpr

Cuntr

Something like that anyway.

Uncle TechTip

Those tweets are weird, when i looked at the POTUS account about 3 hours ago it was plain retweets of standard business, looked just like it was controlled by the White House press office rather than directly by him. How did he get the password? Do you think those tweets are real?

Sonny_Jim

Screenshot came from CNN so who knows.  How did he get the password?

'Hello, is that the socialmedia team?  This is President Trump, I want the @POTUS password..."

Mister Six

Odd that Twitter wouldn't pre-emptively lock the POTUS account.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Mister Six on January 09, 2021, 04:17:15 AM
Odd that Twitter wouldn't pre-emptively lock the POTUS account.

... Enough rope, perhaps?

Sonny_Jim

That.  They removed the tweets and locked the account in less than 5 minutes, so someone was definitely watching it.  Plus that was the account that Obama used to use, so it makes sense for it to be left 'open', especially considering Trump didn't really use it.

sirhenry

Reading through Twitter's announcement, the Overview section has me a bit worried:
QuoteOverview

On January 8, 2021, President Donald J. Trump tweeted:

"The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!"

Shortly thereafter, the President tweeted:

"To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th."

Due to the ongoing tensions in the United States, and an uptick in the global conversation in regards to the people who violently stormed the Capitol on January 6, 2021, these two Tweets must be read in the context of broader events in the country and the ways in which the President's statements can be mobilized by different audiences, including to incite violence, as well as in the context of the pattern of behavior from this account in recent weeks. After assessing the language in these Tweets against our Glorification of Violence policy, we have determined that these Tweets are in violation of the Glorification of Violence Policy and the user @realDonaldTrump should be immediately permanently suspended from the service.

Are they claiming that by saying he won't be at the inauguration, he's inciting violence? That it's safe for his followers to blow everyone there up because Trump won't be there?

Urinal Cake

Sort of. I think it's more that his supporters have taken it as a sign that they should disrupt the event since he won't be there and presumably sees it as illegitimate.

Anyway Trump has a pattern of amping the rhetoric up, waiting for shit to happen and then calling for calm. Then wishing goodness and  love for his side.

daf

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 09, 2021, 01:17:44 AM
Guardian now reporting Parker has been removed from the play store. 

Yus, Milady!

Buelligan

I'm really hoping he sends in Rudy Giuliani, all oiled up with spray on hair, to sort it for him using trial by combat.

Zetetic

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 09, 2021, 02:57:34 AM
The exception would be if Twitter was ruled some type of public utility, like the old broadcast frequencies (in a very confusing and ineffectual way), though that would be a good thing.
There are more suitable concepts already available and in use like "common carrier", which have worked reasonably well where they've been applied.

Or you do what Trump's EO 13925 was aiming to do, which is make it easier to argue that Twitter has engaged in "editorial conduct" and thereby forfeited its "safe harbor" protections - under "Section 230" - from liability for other people's content.[nb]The aim being to dis-incentivise Twitter from banning people etc., because of the risk of losing safe harbor protections was too great?[/nb]

Twitter is presumably trying to do what it can try to stay ahead of whatever the new government might have in mind regarding Section 230 [nb]which are probably more explicitly around making them more for responsible for content, regardless, not pushing them closer to common carrier sttus.[/nb] ...

Edit: I suppose, I find it hard to believe that Master Dorsey actually gives a shit either way about Trump tweeting this or that which can be construed one way or the other, but find it very easy to believe that he'd like to take the opportunity to signal that he's a good boy who'll proactively censor stuff without the government having to actually tell him to (now that the Bad Orange Man and his threat of enforcing Free Speech are out of the way). That for some of his users it will be like the 2012 Olympics come again is, maybe, a nice bonus.

Zetetic

Zetetic

Wonder if we'll see something around payment services soon.

lipsink

Does this mean that Farage and other cunts who use inciteful language like "take the knife to these people" will now have to watch what they say. I see he's tweeted about it but he must be thinking he could be next.

Thursday

Quote from: lipsink on January 09, 2021, 09:22:55 AM
Does this mean that Farage and other cunts who use inciteful language like "take the knife to these people" will now have to watch what they say. I see he's tweeted about it but he must be thinking he could be next.

They'll probably be fine, nobody cares enough about this shitty little country.