Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Great choices of music for the end credits

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 09, 2021, 01:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

The ending of Birdy,  the way it shifts from an intense hectic Peter Gabriel score, ends on a gag and then cuts to an upbeat 50s classic over the credits, has long been a favourite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiExTlrJhCo

Spoiler, obvs. If you haven't seen Birdy, then you must. It's a gem.

buzby

Quote from: greenman on January 09, 2021, 02:55:56 PM
Staying political Lennon's Bring On The Lucie at the end of Children of Men works very nicely, the film itself being quite am effective counter to any claim the song is a bit simplistic.
Also having it followed by Jarvis Cocker's Cunts Are Still Running The World for the rest of the credits.

joaquin closet

Bizarre Love Triangle over the end credits of Demme's Married to the Mob.

The 80's baybeeee

greenman

As obvious as it is I think The Lonely Shepherd swelling for Kill Bill 1 might be my favourite, wouldn't be surprised if that was the start point for making the whole thing.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: greenman on February 16, 2021, 01:48:02 PM
As obvious as it is I think The Lonely Shepherd swelling for Kill Bill 1 might be my favourite, wouldn't be surprised if that was the start point for making the whole thing.

Apparently, it was quite the opposite. I remember QT talking in an interview about how he struggled to end Kill Bill 1, having envisioned it as one long film, and he heard The Lonely Shepherd one night in a restaurant and only then did he realise he found the ideal piece of music - The panpipes, the mariachi vibe, the whole epic sound. Perfect for a kung-fu, spaghetti western revenge story.

greenman

He did actually use it during the Hanzo segment as well although that might have been a late addition? doesn't seem like the scene is built around it compared to the Lily Chou Chou track.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Tarantino is generally great at this. The Lively Ones' "Surf Rider" at the end of Pulp Fiction is just perfect, especially juxtaposed with Jules and Vince in their borrowed shorts & t-shirts, tucking guns into their waistbands and heading off into the metaphorical sunset.

I've always found "Coconut" by Harry Nilsson at the end of Reservoir Dogs to be a strangely brilliant choice. Although in these enlightened times, I can't help but think the 'patois' accent it's sung in has a bit of a Goodness Gracious Me vibe about it.

Fight Club was mentioned earlier but a couple of other David Fincher ones I really liked were "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane at the end of The Game, and Bowie's "The Heart's Filthy Lesson" at the end of Seven (or Se7en, if we must).

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: SOMK on February 15, 2021, 06:12:46 PM
I can't think of a film that pulls that kind of trick with a final song choice and pulls you from the kind of dream reality of the film into the now

BlacKKKlansman. The ending of that was like a slap in the face, a punch in the stomach, a kick in the nuts and a bucket of cold water all at the same time. That's maybe more to do with what's happening on screen, but the use of "Mary Don't You Weep" by Prince was really effective.

Another good use of Prince which brought me as a viewer right back to reality was "The Cross" at the conclusion of The Day Shall Come. I felt the message of that film was too diluted by all the satirical wackiness right up until the ending, in fact.

The Prodigy's "Funky Shit" at the end of Event Horizon.  On the face of it, it seems like a bit of an odd choice but it just works....

U2's "The Hands That Built America" in Gangs of New York.  I'm not a massive U2 fan but after Leo's monologue leads into the images of New York progressing through the years and then the song starts with those strings, it's a real lump-in-the-throat moment.  Fantastic stuff.

greenman

Rewatching it again last night the harpsichord version of Skyline Pigeon in The Favourite, obviously suits the film in well in the merger of period and contemporary but also adds I think a somewhat nicer sentimental coda to the film.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on March 12, 2021, 03:17:00 PM
The Prodigy's "Funky Shit" at the end of Event Horizon.  On the face of it, it seems like a bit of an odd choice but it just works....

Any excuse to put out another one of those "music inspired by the motion picture" CD soundtracks that flooded the market in the late 90s.

timebug

After all the 'moon' related songs in the film, I just love the way The Marcels version of 'Blue Moon' comes booming out at the end of 'An American Werewolf in London'. Class!

Chedney Honks

Yeah, totally agree. All-timer, especially after the tone of the ending. Absolutely perfect.