Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:52:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021: well done, he's 13

Started by sevendaughters, January 09, 2021, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vainsharpdad

Quote from: Kankurette on April 05, 2021, 03:20:24 AM
Agreed. Fucking Newcastle are cursed, they beat us twice this season. Geordie Twitter thinks this is Newcastle's biggest achievement ever, judging by their habit of posting photos of Pickford getting owned in response to anything Everton's account posts. I don't get it tbh. I know they hate Pickford but we're not their rivals, Sunderland are.

Pickford's been an extra-special prick about Newcastle in the past, even for a Mackem, so Karma.

Quote from: Kankurette on April 05, 2021, 03:23:22 AM[/size]
Only problem is that Ashley will replace him with IDK Remi Garde or something. Or one of the British Managers' Lunch Club. As a Geordie friend said, Ashley only cares about Newcastle staying up, nothing more.
[/size]

This is true. If the PL and Big 6 really do block the takeover, then we need to go down, down, down or even bust before we get our/a club back.

I'd take a club in the Conference with hope over a Zombie club in the bent PL.

Kankurette

Quote from: vainsharpdad on April 05, 2021, 11:16:13 PM
Pickford's been an extra-special prick about Newcastle in the past, even for a Mackem, so Karma.

This is true. If the PL and Big 6 really do block the takeover, then we need to go down, down, down or even bust before we get our/a club back.

I'd take a club in the Conference with hope over a Zombie club in the bent PL.

Assuming Ashley let's that happen. Maybe he'll bugger off if you do go down.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kankurette on April 06, 2021, 12:21:40 AM
Assuming Ashley let's that happen. Maybe he'll bugger off if you do go down.

He hasn't in the past.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 05, 2021, 10:28:13 PM. crypto futures is where the smart people are putting their money now

Already there.

Brian Freeze

We watched The Damned United at the weekend and wanted to ask you more knowledgeable peeps about Peter Taylor. The film did labour the point that Clough was nowt without him but I've never heard that before. How accurate is that opinion?

sevendaughters

Quote from: Brian Freeze on April 06, 2021, 11:56:07 AM
We watched The Damned United at the weekend and wanted to ask you more knowledgeable peeps about Peter Taylor. The film did labour the point that Clough was nowt without him but I've never heard that before. How accurate is that opinion?

an ace scout and the velvet glove to Clough's iron fist, and Clough agreed with the general assessment too.

The Culture Bunker

I suppose you just need to check out how Clough did without Taylor, at Leeds and after the latter left Forest in the early 80s.  Taylor wrote a book in 1980 or so, where he puts across his side of their relationship, and it's a decent read as far as football books go. Clough got a bit sniffy about it, however, and it was perhaps the start of the end of things.

Clough's drinking, I believe, really spiralled out of control after Taylor died, with them never having patched things up, and Forest were relegated not long after, a state from which they've never really recovered, that one season (94/95) with Frank Clark aside.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brian Freeze on April 06, 2021, 11:56:07 AM

The general consensus is that Taylor could find players to complement Clough's teams, but his magic touch had arguably left him by the time he 'retired', after Forest spunked millions on poor signings in the early 80s.
Taylor then unretired to become manager of Derby, which Clough took as a personal slight against him and led to the falling out.

bgmnts

If Clough had the sensible presence of Taylor around him in his later years perhaps he wouldnt have said the Hillsborough victims brought it on themselves.

king_tubby

That half of the Damned United about Derby winning the league is ace. I don't care for the rest of it.

Kankurette

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 06, 2021, 08:26:19 AM
He hasn't in the past.
You never know!

Is Mbappe to Liverpool a thing or just a rumour?

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Kankurette on April 06, 2021, 10:46:17 PM
Is Mbappe to Liverpool a thing or just a rumour?

Even if we could do the transfer fee by selling or part exchanging Mane or Salah, I can't see us matching his reported wage demands. He's meant to be on about £350k a week, which is £150k more than our current top-earners.

In other news, any doubts that Keita is a lazy, bone idle shit who is defruading Liverpool by continuing to accept wages to be a footballer should now be dispelled.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: king_tubby on April 06, 2021, 10:24:32 PM
That half of the Damned United about Derby winning the league is ace. I don't care for the rest of it.

Wayne Rooney's Derby.

The Culture Bunker

Another little thing about Peter Taylor, from reading his book: he does seem to resent the perception that he was Clough's 'assistant', seeing himself as co-manager in an equal relationship. He felt the two of them should have been allowed to lead the team out together at Wembley for a League Cup final and got the right hump when the FL said "no".

Chollis

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 06, 2021, 10:55:48 PM
In other news, any doubts that Keita is a lazy, bone idle shit who is defruading Liverpool by continuing to accept wages to be a footballer should now be dispelled.

Phenomenal underlying numbers for those 42 minutes though. He'll be great once he gets a run of games!

Kankurette

Yussef Dent

What is deemed as the final straw with Clough and Taylor was when Taylor signed John Robertson from Forest effectively behind Clough's back. Robertson's best days were behind him and his time at Derby was largely forgettable as a result, however it looked as if Taylor signed him just because he could, just a really sad episode in what was one of football's great double acts.

The Culture Bunker

Weirdly, Clough re-signed Robertson two years later, despite the fact he'd struggled in the third tier the year before. Not sure if he was trying to prove a point to Taylor or not.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Chollis on April 07, 2021, 10:59:54 AM
Phenomenal underlying numbers for those 42 minutes though. He'll be great once he gets a run of games!

I'm sure the Keita hype squad will be back next time we see him in the team. If we see him in the team again.

This is what someone I was having an argument on the interweb said about him 4 hours before the game:

QuoteI feel like we're talking about different players with this bolded bit... I'd literally say all the things you think he doesn't do, are the things he does best. He's awesome at pressing high and nicking the ball, or intercepting panicked passes. He's an all action runner who chases down everything off the ball, and with the ball drives straight at the heart of the opposition.

I knew that was bollocks before the game, but I wasn't expecting Keita to prove so thoroughly that it was bollocks. Took a lot of restraint for me not to re-quote the post and say "wow, he did a great all action job tonight jogging slowly at Real Madrid players who had the ball." But I didn't say it cos I don't wanna be the guy who seems happy when his team loses cos he gets to be right on the internet.

Of course cunts have decided that this is all an excuse to racially abuse him. Cos of fucking course.

Crabwalk

lankyguy95

I think there's going to be a point soon where clubs start being a lot more careful about buying attacking/progressive players from the Bundesliga. I enjoy watching those matches when they're on but the space that teams get to run into is often huge. It's no wonder Havertz, Keita, Werner, Haller, Joelinton, Jovic etc have struggled to come anywhere near replicating their form since they moved. Be interesting to see if Haaland will be the exception.

Captain Z

Quote from: Crabwalk on April 07, 2021, 05:09:54 PM
IPSWICH FUCKING BRONCOS ARE COMING FOR ALL YOU BIGBOY LEAGUE CUNTS

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/07/ipswich-enter-new-era-with-40m-takeover-by-gamechanger-20

Will it be a breath of fresh air for the club, or as I suspect, suck the wind out of them?

From an ex-tractor fan.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: lankyguy95 on April 07, 2021, 05:11:17 PM
I think there's going to be a point soon where clubs start being a lot more careful about buying attacking/progressive players from the Bundesliga. I enjoy watching those matches when they're on but the space that teams get to run into is often huge. It's no wonder Havertz, Keita, Werner, Haller, Joelinton, Jovic etc have struggled to come anywhere near replicating their form since they moved. Be interesting to see if Haaland will be the exception.
Both Kagawa and Mkhitaryan came to Man United with big reputations due to their spells at Dortmund but (for the main part) struggled in the PL. To his credit, the latter did play a very important part in us winning the Europa League, which perhaps says something.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.football365.com/news/parachute-payments-evil-leaking-premier-league-john-nicholson

Some persuasive arguments here, but given that the payments are intended, albeit clumsily, to help clubs from immediate financial problems, perhaps a more lasting reform would be to alter the nature of club ownership; granting majority fan ownership with the aim of increasing accountability at board level, preserving not only club finances but the character of the club their own fans want to see.

Or, if it's all about making relegation exciting make relegation last 3 years, guaranteeing some new clubs in the top flight and forcing relegated clubs to fundamentally rethink their approach. More long-termism, good. You'd flush some of the dreck out of the Premier League too (including Newcastle).

buttgammon

imitationleather

PSG's manager is very dishy. Anyone know anything about him?

Inspector Norse

I think what Neuer just did is what they call a "gaffe"

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Captain Z on April 07, 2021, 05:28:22 PM
Will it be a breath of fresh air for the club, or as I suspect, suck the wind out of them?

From an ex-tractor fan.

Ken bates. Draw the life. Take the dividend. Get to fuck. No impetus to take a nothing town and a nothing club to anything.  Its fronting. No offence meant.