Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:38:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021: well done, he's 13

Started by sevendaughters, January 09, 2021, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteClinton Morrison

Former Republic of Ireland striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

If I'm Porto's manager, I'm disappointed in my goalkeeper - your hands are there to save it

This kind of analysis is what earns the big bucks

imitationleather

Bayern v PSG is a seriously good game.

buttgammon

Quote from: imitationleather on April 07, 2021, 09:23:11 PM

It really is. Along with the second leg of Porto v Juventus, one of the best games I've seen all season.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Brian Freeze on April 06, 2021, 11:56:07 AM
We watched The Damned United at the weekend and wanted to ask you more knowledgeable peeps about Peter Taylor. The film did labour the point that Clough was nowt without him but I've never heard that before. How accurate is that opinion?

Some truth definitely but Forest were still a very good side after Taylor left and the team of the late 80s that won two League Cups was of Clough's making. Taylor was a renowned talent spotter and if not for his scouting then Forest would never have been as successful as they were but Clough wasn't too shabby at it either (his failure to sign Collymore earlier for Forest was a sign to himself that his powers were on the wane). As a man motivator and able to get the best out of his players, Clough was very adept at doing that with or without Taylor. I'd argue it was more of a personal than professional loss for Clough to fall out with Taylor but obviously impacted both. Going from best mates, literally spending hours in each other's company for years on end, to having no communication whatsoever must have been painful and compounded a feeling of something not being quite right.

The other factor is unquestionably the drink and as that took it's toll, so it did on Clough's behaviour and judgement. If Taylor was around, would he have been able to reign him in as much? Probably not. But problems are always much easier to face when you've got a mate around. The rise in Clough's drinking and timing of Taylor's departure doesn't appear to be entirely coincidental.

The Robertson story hides a lot of simmering resentment that had built up between the two of them - Taylor feeling that he was owed more money and Clough annoyed at Taylor for not doing enough work. Both of them were probably right. If it wasn't Taylor buying Robertson then there surely would have been another incident that would have made the two of them fall out. A shame that they were both too bloody stubborn to do anything about it before Taylor's passing.

I recommend Duncan Hamilton's book Provided You Don't Kiss Me which is a fantastic telling of Clough in the 80s by a journalist who was close enough to almost understand what made him tick before being completely flummoxed by him again. It's an affectionate and well-rounded look though, giving credit where due but not afraid to point out Clough's numerous flaws. Jonathan Wilson's biography focuses far too much on the latter, depicting Clough as a horrific, unfeeling bully indicating that the author never grasped the appeal of the man or was particularly interested in doing so.

chveik

lankyguy95

It was huge fun. Everything in football is so exposed and constant now that the fun can easily get sucked out of it but that was a joy to watch. Even with PSG getting the away win, which should be a huge advantage, it still feels like it could go either way, such was the way of that match.

DrGreggles

Seems weird to hear about the importance of away goals when both legs are being played in empty stadiums. Not much home advantage is there.

I'm not sure the original introduction of the away goals rule was actually much to do with playing in front of other teams' supporters, although it might have been part of the thinking.  It seems to have been based on teams playing negatively away from home due to factors that no longer really apply, such as being able to find out little about their opponents, and having to put up with gruelling travel arrangements (particularly in the old Eastern bloc).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45460290

QuoteIt was principally devised to avoid the need for costly third games and to end the need for a coin toss should this game also end all-square. (Penalty shootouts were yet to be widely adopted.)

This was not the only reason. Back in the 60s, travelling around Europe was neither quick nor cheap and players were often heading into the unknown to face opponents of whom they had little or no prior knowledge, on pitches of wildly varying quality.

It is hardly surprising then that away wins in two-legged ties were so rare and visiting teams so eager to dig in for 90 minutes in order to claim a score they could overturn at home - a tactical approach Uefa were keen to discourage.

George Oscar Bluth II

Yeah one of the few genuinely good games of the Covid era for me, Clive.

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 08, 2021, 12:13:43 AM
Seems weird to hear about the importance of away goals when both legs are being played in empty stadiums. Not much home advantage is there.

Particularly bizarre that it applies in the Chelsea/Porto tie where both legs are being played in Seville! Two crucial away goals for Chelsea in the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán, a good cushion to defend when they host Porto at the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán next week.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on April 08, 2021, 10:57:50 AM
I'm not sure the original introduction of the away goals rule was actually much to do with playing in front of other teams' supporters, although it might have been part of the thinking.  It seems to have been based on teams playing negatively away from home due to factors that no longer really apply, such as being able to find out little about their opponents, and having to put up with gruelling travel arrangements (particularly in the old Eastern bloc).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45460290

Particularly hate it when a team goes through on away goals AET.
They've had an extra 30 minutes to score a goal that counts for more!

Since UEFA and the 'elite' clubs seem to want more and more games that they want to show on TV, they could try the old system of limitless replays that they used to have in domestic cup games.

(Jumpers for goalposts isn't it, mmm?)

I'm sure I read something once about the finals of minor Scottish cup competitions going to replay after replay on consecutive nights at the end of the seasons (in pre-floodlight days) and playing on for as long as there was daylight until someone eventually scored a winner.

The best one I could find from an online forum statto was a tie from the 1908/9 Scottish Cup where it took 5 games to separate non-league sides Beith and Broxburn, including the last 3 on consecutive days before the eventual winners Beith, by now knackered and apparently having lost three days wages from being away from their actual jobs, went on to lose to St Mirren at Love Street, where they had won the semi-final previous day.

First Round
Sat 23 Jan ... Broxburn Athletic 1-1 Beith
(R) Sat 30 Jan ... Beith 0-0 Broxburn Athletic
(2R) Wed 3 Feb ... Beith 1-1 Broxburn Athletic (aet - at Ibrox)
(3R) Thu 4 Feb   ... Beith 1-1 Broxburn Athletic (aet - at Ibrox)
(4R) Fri 5 Feb     ... Beith 4-2 Broxburn Athletic (at Love Street)

Second Round
Sat 6 Feb ... St Mirren 3-0 Beith

Mobius

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on April 08, 2021, 11:28:05 PM
Since UEFA and the 'elite' clubs seem to want more and more games that they want to show on TV, they could try the old system of limitless replays that they used to have in domestic cup games.

(Jumpers for goalposts isn't it, mmm?)

I'm sure I read something once about the finals of minor Scottish cup competitions going to replay after replay on consecutive nights at the end of the seasons (in pre-floodlight days) and playing on for as long as there was daylight until someone eventually scored a winn
In more recent(ish) times, it took four games to get a winner between Liverpool and Arsenal in the 1980 FA Cup semi final. There was also a league game between the two sides after the first replay that - you'll never guess - ended in a draw

Arsenal ended up playing 11 games over a month long period and perhaps unsurprisingly lost both the FA and Cup Winners Cup finals.

Leeds vs Arsenal 1990/91: 0-0 1-1 0-0 1-2  (I had the VHS of the 1990-91 FA cup)

Record is 6, two non-league sides that ended up playing at the Manor Ground and Villa Park.

El Unicornio, mang

niat

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 09, 2021, 12:10:45 PM
Steve Guttenberg predicting a win for Newcastle this weekend

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56633070

And a win for Palace at Chelsea. That picture of him in his latest film is hilarious.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: niat on April 09, 2021, 12:22:19 PM
That picture of him in his latest film is hilarious.

Check out the trailer. Astonishing stuff.

lankyguy95

Thread. Some wonderful examples of Michael Owen's pettiness in his most recent memoirs.

https://twitter.com/GraceOnFootball/status/1380296739089965057?s=19

Wonderful Butternut

"Fabio Capello caused catostrophic damage to both my career"

Michael, are you sure that what caused catostrophic damage to your career was Capello? Are you sure it wasn't that you'd been trained into being a one trick pony that was always likely to become a Championship level player once your pace went?

And Liverpool fans hate you because you were a poisonous malevolent little troll who bullied youth players, forced Fowler out of the club because you wanted all the limelight, were generally obnoxious to anyone other than your mates Stevie and Carra and then ran your contract down so you could flounce off to Madrid for a pittance. At least we got a decent wedge of cash in for the racist cannibal from Uruguay. Once Rafa had been tipped off to what you were, he never seriously tried to get you back from Madrid.

lankyguy95

The funny thing is I've just been reading the sample extract from his book and in his own introduction he writes this:

"Similarly, in my post-playing career, the ability to banish negative opinions and criticism has been an important attribute."

bgmnts

I cant think of a football autobiography that would be as pointless and dull to read as Michael Owen's.

jobotic

Years ago in the library I worked in we were processing new books and there was kid's book about Michael Owen. He was asked a few questions to get some Michael Owen Facts for the Michael Owen Fact Fans.

q. what's the last film you saw? Cool Runnings

q. what's your all time favourite film? Cool Runnings

Honest

The Culture Bunker

I can imagine Michael Owen would try to portray himself as a key man in Man United's 2010/11 title win.

El Unicornio, mang

He notoriously hates films

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/3176324/michael-owen-hates-watching-films-heres-his-best-reviews

These are the 8 he's watched in his life (as of 2017)

Rocky, Heat, Ghost, Jurassic Park, Cool Runnings, Sea Biscuit, Karate Kid and Forrest Gump

Quote"Didn't like Rocky I," came the curt response. "It's rubbish."

On Heat: "I've seen it. Wasn't great," was Owen's brilliantly blunt assessment.

My favourite ever Michael Owen tweet.

QuoteChristmas is underrated. Best day of the year by far. #Family

DrGreggles

Whenever Michael Owen is mentioned I automatically think about that time he made a video of a 'helicopter flight' over Dubai - and made it sound shit.

https://youtu.be/CFnymJDZAS8

Kankurette

I wondered when someone was going to mention the Owencopter.
Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 09, 2021, 02:58:26 PM
"Fabio Capello caused catostrophic damage to both my career"

Michael, are you sure that what caused catostrophic damage to your career was Capello? Are you sure it wasn't that you'd been trained into being a one trick pony that was always likely to become a Championship level player once your pace went?

And Liverpool fans hate you because you were a poisonous malevolent little troll who bullied youth players, forced Fowler out of the club because you wanted all the limelight, were generally obnoxious to anyone other than your mates Stevie and Carra and then ran your contract down so you could flounce off to Madrid for a pittance. At least we got a decent wedge of cash in for the racist cannibal from Uruguay. Once Rafa had been tipped off to what you were, he never seriously tried to get you back from Madrid.
And he played for Man United, the traitor.

peanutbutter

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 09, 2021, 03:27:32 PM
He notoriously hates films

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/3176324/michael-owen-hates-watching-films-heres-his-best-reviews

These are the 8 he's watched in his life (as of 2017)

Rocky, Heat, Ghost, Jurassic Park, Cool Runnings, Sea Biscuit, Karate Kid and Forrest Gump
Cannot imagine he watched all 3 hours of Heat

mjwilson

Quote from: lankyguy95 on April 09, 2021, 02:42:19 PM
Thread. Some wonderful examples of Michael Owen's pettiness in his most recent memoirs.

https://twitter.com/GraceOnFootball/status/1380296739089965057?s=19

OK but being paid every 6 months does sound weird.
Not the end of the world if you're on footballer wages obviously, but still weird.

Wonderful Butternut