Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:07:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021: well done, he's 13

Started by sevendaughters, January 09, 2021, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I'm looking forward to reading Alex Miller's book about Wednesday when Wednesday were a decent side in the early '90s.

Jockice

No doubt this will be mentioned. https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/how-infamous-91-final-snub-tv-bosses-went-christen-sheffield-wednesdays-most-iconic-fanzine-2544096

Ironically, I was in Manchester that day but didn't see any of the match. Because I was watching a slide show about someone's trip to India. Don't ask.

Kankurette

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 09, 2021, 10:58:50 PM
Another VAR special:

https://youtu.be/F81IVvQ_3aA?t=78

What was special about it? That they applied the rules as they exist correctly to make the correct decision?

Jockice

El Unicornio, mang

So glad I put Dallas on the bench for this weekend

BlodwynPig

Have the BBC removed their thumbs up and down on the football live text to protect the Royals - i.e. to stop a load of thumbs down if Phil is mentioned? Yellow bellied twats.

jobotic

That's it keep it going until City equalise.

BlodwynPig

It's not like the BEEB have not been instrumental in sky rocketing Royal approval ratings and controlling dissent. Still scared that there are 1 or 2 republicans lurking to give a handful of thumbs down and usher in calls for you to be scrapped for being traitors? pathetic

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: lankyguy95 on April 09, 2021, 02:42:19 PM
Thread. Some wonderful examples of Michael Owen's pettiness in his most recent memoirs.

https://twitter.com/GraceOnFootball/status/1380296739089965057?s=19

What a wally. Absolutely remarkable that he continues to find work as a pundit. Thought the same watching Undr The Cosh's recent interview with Danny Mills where he came across as so unlikable I'm surprised anyone would offer him a job.

ersatz99

2 mins silence. Should be longer. One hour. No, two hour.

Kankurette

Sadio Mané getting racist abuse on the 'gram? SADIO FUCKING MANÉ?! As in one of Liverpool's best players? I mean, racist abuse is shitty anyway but what kind of fan attacks someone who's such a big part of Liverpool's squad?

Captain Z

It'd be quicker to list the black players that aren't getting it now. Not sure if there's even any names on that list.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Kankurette on April 10, 2021, 03:19:23 PM
Sadio Mané getting racist abuse on the 'gram? SADIO FUCKING MANÉ?! As in one of Liverpool's best players? I mean, racist abuse is shitty anyway but what kind of fan attacks someone who's such a big part of Liverpool's squad?
A troll who knows the increasing attention they're going to get.

BlodwynPig

Nevin doing a Nevin

QuotePat Nevin
Former Everton and Scotland winger on BBC Radio 5 Live
I think Liverpool will be OK. I think this is going to be given...

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 10, 2021, 11:48:22 AM
What was special about it? That they applied the rules as they exist correctly to make the correct decision?

What's special about it is that VAR was brought in to overturn 'clear and obvious' errors. Measuring offsides from shirt-sleeve is ridiculous (which I think was brought as part of VAR) unless the player actually uses his shoulder to control the ball, and a few millimeters offside is not a clear and obvious error.

Just happened again in Liverpool v Villa.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 10, 2021, 03:56:00 PM
What's special about it is that VAR was brought in to overturn 'clear and obvious' errors. Checking if a body part that the attacking player didn't even use to play the ball is a centimeter offside is not overturning a clear and obvious error.

What's that about Fergie time again?

bgmnts

Its weird they don't show like a straight camera angle but the line they were using looked a few inches in front of Jota's shoulder so I thought it was fine but whatever Liverpool are crap at home.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on April 10, 2021, 03:59:12 PM
Its weird they don't show like a straight camera angle but the line they were using looked a few inches in front of Jota's shoulder so I thought it was fine but whatever Liverpool are crap at home.

World Champions Liverpool are shit at home. *shrugs* Can we not taunt you for one season, please?

George Oscar Bluth II

I just don't think football is important enough to spend five minutes, or whatever that was, scrutinising an offside that must have been a matter of centimeters. This was supposed to formalise the process that saw Zidane sent off in the 2006 World Cup final, or stop incidents like the Henry handball v Ireland. Stuff that everyone at home saw but the ref didn't. Was anyone watching that at home screaming at the telly that it was an offside? If VAR didn't exist would anyone have given it a second thought?

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: bgmnts on April 10, 2021, 03:59:12 PM

Haven't been crap today actually. Just saved our only composed finish or final ball for the disallowed goal. Salah missed a 1v1. Jota headed over from 6 yards. Salah & Bobby both had chances to play each other in after winning the ball back at the edge of the Villa area and fluffed them.

They'll probably get picked off again chasing the game now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on April 10, 2021, 04:04:45 PM
I just don't think football is important enough to spend five minutes, or whatever that was, scrutinising an offside that must have been a matter of centimeters. This was supposed to formalise the process that saw Zidane sent off in the 2006 World Cup final, or stop incidents like the Henry handball v Ireland. Stuff that everyone at home saw but the ref didn't. Was anyone watching that at home screaming at the telly that it was an offside? If VAR didn't exist would anyone have given it a second thought?

What Zidane did was legal. A travesty thanks to those cheating rat-Italians.

What Henry did was legend va-va-voom.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 10, 2021, 04:07:17 PM
Haven't been crap today actually. Just saved our only composed finish or final ball for the disallowed goal. Salah missed a 1v1. Jota headed over from 6 yards. Salah & Bobby both had chances to play each other in after winning the ball back at the edge of the Villa area and fluffed them.

They'll probably get picked off again chasing the game now.

It'll be great if you lose just to consign last week's BBC puff piece, RE: "Liverpool are Back, Baby!", to the dustbin of shit journalism

Kankurette

Quote from: lankyguy95 on April 10, 2021, 03:30:10 PM
A troll who knows the increasing attention they're going to get.
Sometimes I wonder if the BBC should stop reporting on it, if that's the reason. "Ooh, I'll call a black footballer a n***** after they[nb]Women get it as well, Rinsola Babajide - who plays for Liverpool's women - had some man send her a message telling her football was a men's game, and also called her racist slurs[/nb] have a bad game, that'll get me lots of attention. I am so smart."

lankyguy95

Quote from: Kankurette on April 10, 2021, 04:14:54 PM
Sometimes I wonder if the BBC should stop reporting on it, if that's the reason.
They probably should do, certainly on an individual basis. Given how much of it is from overseas - meaning the police can't do anything about it - and broadly anonymous (most of what you see isn't from someone's identifiable, personal account) it isn't going to stop. It's a social media problem and until those services find solutions, it'll continue. Media and club outlets publically reporting all these cases does raise awareness but it also increases the attention on the perversely thrill-seeking trolls.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 10, 2021, 03:56:00 PM
What's special about it is that VAR was brought in to overturn 'clear and obvious' errors. Measuring offsides from shirt-sleeve is ridiculous (which I think was brought as part of VAR) unless the player actually uses his shoulder to control the ball, and a few millimeters offside is not a clear and obvious error.

If it can be measured, which it can, then you can get a factual correct decision.

People have decided that the decisions of officials in football matches are important and that is precisely why we are here.

DrGreggles

The problem isn't with the technology itself though, it's with how it's being applied - and there will still be errors made by the people using it.
The lines being drawn for tight offside decisions are done manually, and often seems to be guesswork (even after a 4 minute delay).
So we've gone from human errors from a referee to human errors from blokes scribbling on a screen with Andy Gray's old magic pen. #progess

I saw a video on YouTube recently where a guy explained the inaccuracy of someone using 2D technology on a 3D image, and how measuring things at ground level (a forward's boot) against something off the ground (a defender's shoulder) is pretty much impossible from the angles available.

Incidentally, none of the other countries with VAR use it in this way.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 11, 2021, 12:11:55 AM
If it can be measured, which it can, then you can get a factual correct decision.

People have decided that the decisions of officials in football matches are important and that is precisely why we are here.

It doesn't matter what you can measure, goals being ruled because of shirt sleeves being millimeters off is nonsense:

Podence is not offside. He's level with the defender. Even Stevie Wonder could see that.

Bamford's considered offside here because he pointed to where he wants the ball, thus moving his precious shirt sleeve. Will he not reach the ball if he's not pointing or something? Cos if his hand was by his side, he'd have been considered onside.

People who decided that decisions of officials in football matches are important did not want this sort of nonsense. VAR is supposed to be for ruling out obvious errors where there's a clear offside (ie. doesn't require loads of lines drawn on it to be visible) handball, foul etc. but the on-pitch officials miss it because they're behind the play, have their view obstructed, or are just plain useless. As Greggles says, VAR officials in other countries aren't whipping out electron microscopes to adjudicate offside calls.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe problem isn't with the technology itself though, it's with how it's being applied

Agreed.

Lost Oliver