Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:48:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021: well done, he's 13

Started by sevendaughters, January 09, 2021, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Taking the knee to show a symbolic solidarity against racism in football immediately after a minute's silence towards notorious racist cunt is incredible.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: bgmnts on April 11, 2021, 04:32:52 PM
Taking the knee to show a symbolic solidarity against racism in football immediately after a minute's silence towards notorious racist cunt is incredible.
Now, now, let's have less of this kind of talk. It's wrong, simple as that, and I can't let you carry on with this nonsense.

It was two minutes.

imitationleather

Gulftastic

Quote from: imitationleather on April 11, 2021, 05:02:21 PM
Fuck me, Spurs v Man Utd is shit.

Yeah, but funny VAR against Man Utd. Especially since earlier, Progba had committed a far more serious foul and got away scott free.

Inspector Norse

QuoteClinton Morrison
Former Crystal Palace striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

No way is that a foul. He's caught him but I don't think VAR will look at that.

What's that salary again?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Inspector Norse on April 11, 2021, 05:25:12 PM
What's that salary again?
It does seem the opinion across the Sky panel that is a duff decision.

But we're stuck with VAR, perhaps for good, unless it becomes a reason for declining ratings. My main gripe with it is that you can't really celebrate a goal anymore. When Cavani scored, I felt nothing, but I saw Son collapse in a heap and thought "oh, here we go"...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"I don't know the letter of the law anymore, I give up" - Clinton Morrison.

Is there a lower bar of basic performance than that of a football pundit? They aren't even pretending to do the basic work, it's an absolute joke.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 11, 2021, 06:18:20 PM
"I don't know the letter of the law anymore, I give up" - Clinton Morrison.

Is there a lower bar of basic performance than that of a football pundit? They aren't even pretending to do the basic work, it's an absolute joke.

I've sent several letters of complaint to the BBC about Morrison. Even Michael Owen is better than this chump. Gurning twit with his head on holiday in the Bahamas - for the whole season. I'd place a bet that not one person has been enlightened by his insight.

Captain Z

As soon as I saw Lawro predicting a Spurs win I knew we were doomed.

imitationleather

Going to say a little prayer asking for Mourinho to be sacked tonight.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 11, 2021, 05:30:44 PM
It does seem the opinion across the Sky panel that is a duff decision.

It was 50-50 at best. It's Morrison's "I don't think VAR" will look at that, published as VAR was looking at it and ruling it out, that had my eyebrows a-waggle.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: imitationleather on April 11, 2021, 06:28:15 PM
Going to say a little prayer asking for Mourinho to be sacked tonight.

Two more years at £300k a week

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Inspector Norse on April 11, 2021, 06:42:01 PM
It was 50-50 at best. It's Morrison's "I don't think VAR" will look at that, published as VAR was looking at it and ruling it out, that had my eyebrows a-waggle.
Well, yes, a bit of a silly thing to say given (I believe) VAR looks at every goal as a matter of routine.

Kankurette

Quote from: bgmnts on April 11, 2021, 04:32:52 PM
I'm beginning to understand why some players and teams have stopped. I think it was Brentford who recently stopped and one of the black players said he felt it was all a bit hollow by now.

Mourinho is toxic. I prefer the Portuguese manager we got to the Portuguese manager people wanted (not that Jose would ever come to Everton, who are but a tiny club). At least he brought us Richarlison and Digne.

mjwilson

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 10, 2021, 03:56:00 PM
What's special about it is that VAR was brought in to overturn 'clear and obvious' errors.

Someone on here told me once that the "clear and obvious" bit doesn't apply to offside under the VAR regulations. (Obviously I didn't read them to check.)

chveik

holy shit Joaquin is still playing for Betis at 39

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56709755

Absolutely unreal how this corpulent derelict still gets lackeys in the press coming out to bat for him.

QuoteA recent poll in a local newspaper showed 95% of fans wanted a change in management

Maybe focus on that.

QuoteWhatever Bruce's future there are huge issues to resolve at Newcastle, from board structure through to how much ambition the club has and the role of supporters. They are unlikely to be solved with a change of manager.

...But the team might be less shit and score more points in the meantime.

Oh no, the person hired to coach the team hasn't solved an institutional problem at board level!

Kankurette

He should never have left Wednesday.

Why do the media love Bruce? Because he played for Man United?

Chollis

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 11, 2021, 01:06:41 AM
It doesn't matter what you can measure, goals being ruled because of shirt sleeves being millimeters off is nonsense:

Podence is not offside. He's level with the defender. Even Stevie Wonder could see that.

Bamford's considered offside here because he pointed to where he wants the ball, thus moving his precious shirt sleeve. Will he not reach the ball if he's not pointing or something? Cos if his hand was by his side, he'd have been considered onside.

People who decided that decisions of officials in football matches are important did not want this sort of nonsense. VAR is supposed to be for ruling out obvious errors where there's a clear offside (ie. doesn't require loads of lines drawn on it to be visible) handball, foul etc. but the on-pitch officials miss it because they're behind the play, have their view obstructed, or are just plain useless. As Greggles says, VAR officials in other countries aren't whipping out electron microscopes to adjudicate offside calls.

I'm with gibbon-gloves on this one

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The people who believe that the game is gone still seem really interested in it, and in some cases professionally employed by it.

jobotic

They're like gangsters who want to get out of the life. Keys is in the game, you don't just quit the game.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Chollis on April 12, 2021, 10:37:16 AM

Although he did say that because there was a female pundit.

Utter Shit

Quote from: jobotic on April 12, 2021, 10:49:33 AM
They're like gangsters who want to get out of the life. Keys is in the game, you don't just quit the game.

He ain't never put his hairy hands on nobody that wasn't in the game.

ersatz99

Here's a new one. In the baggies game just now VAR couldn't draw the offside line because of the camera position and congestion so they went with the on-field decision. Hear that Clinton.

finnquark

Quote from: Chollis on April 12, 2021, 10:37:16 AM

The woke mob won't accept it, but Keys is right about VAR and officiating, and has been for some time. He warned them. Here he is today, banging another familiar drum:

QuoteUnited are now nearing 40 penalties across two seasons. I'll repeat what I've said before - that's an impossible stat. Compare it to penalties given to Burnley, West Ham, Newcastle and West Brom, who I don't think have had six between them. Hold on - there's a theme here. I'll come back to it.

Did you work the link out above? Yep. All four clubs are managed by Brits - who won't put up with the nonsense. It's ruining our game. It's time to stop it.

phes

Compare it to a bunch of teams who spend fuck all time in the penalty area and are mostly made up of immobile cloggers? Doesn't really seem the best way to go about it

Noted that he disregards Leicester's impressive penalty record in less than 2 years under Rogers (19) and Chelsea's in less than 2 years under Lampard (25)

DrGreggles

Actually Man U buck the trend of teams who have the most possession in the opposing area getting the most penalties, but generally it's true.
Look across Europe and you'll see there's a pretty strong correlation between touches in the penalty area and pens awarded, with most of the same teams at the top of both lists.

finnquark

Keys' blog is a great read, along with his podcast. He's currently campaigning for regime change at the PGMOL with the vigour of a neocon:

QuoteIt was good to read Henry Winter finally calling it out in The Times Monday. Too many of UK Press won't because they're too close to the PL and PGMOL. If they rock the boat they don't get fed tits bits. Grow some balls and call it as it is. We've got to remove Mike Riley before he inflicts anymore damage.