Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,341
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:29:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021: well done, he's 13

Started by sevendaughters, January 09, 2021, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

The idea of 'Captain Pay Off' protesting greed in football is most amusing though.

Hat FM

are Fulham going to be in the super league? as an arsenal fan i'm not sure i could handle the pressure of playing teams that good every week.

Captain Z

Spurs continue to baffle me. I was assuming it would be a formality of waiting to see the cup final result. I don't think we're any more likely to win that now.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Captain Z on April 19, 2021, 12:04:36 PM
Spurs continue to baffle me. I was assuming it would be a formality of waiting to see the cup final result. I don't think we're any more likely to win that now.

At least more people now want you to win.

Beagle 2

He was the first man to guide them to the European Super League and this is how he is repaid.

jobotic

Who are they playing in the Fanta cup? I don't even know/can't be arsed to look it up. Man City presumably.

DrGreggles

Quote from: jobotic on April 19, 2021, 12:17:26 PM
Who are they playing in the Fanta cup? I don't even know/can't be arsed to look it up. Man City presumably.

It's a domestic cup, so it'll be either them or Chelsea.

Thursday

What exactly were Tottenham expecting? 7th in the league is slightly below the best they could reasonably achieve but is countered by the League Cup final.

Maybe they figure it's a good time because of the boost a team gets once Mourinho leaves a club.

Captain Z

I suppose if we had won the cup (lol) there would have been some justification for sticking with him, which nobody wants. All fairly moot with this ESL business now anyway.

Bernice

I think the main issue is that all the players fucking hate him.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Thursday on April 19, 2021, 02:41:05 PM
What exactly were Tottenham expecting? 7th in the league is slightly below the best they could reasonably achieve but is countered by the League Cup final.

Not sure the League Cup counters much these days in the eyes of the money men. Certainly not CL qualification anyway.

Most of the whispers seem to suggest that the atmosphere between Mourinho and the players was "poisonous", so they're obviously going for that new no manager bounce.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Thursday on April 19, 2021, 02:41:05 PM

Maybe they figure it's a good time because of the boost a team gets once Mourinho leaves a club.

Ages ago, it was reported that Mourinho had been set the target of CL qualification in order to stay in post. Recently, there has been a fair of speculation about how safe his job is.

Today, there has been rumours that the decision was made on Friday evening and is based on results. It's also been suggested today that he had completely lost the dressing room - if there's no confidence in the manager, then arguably his continued presence is a counterproductive and a distraction.

The league cup isn't much of a counter. Nice to have a bit a silverware, but CL qualification is much more important.

*edit* beaten by Dr G..

Also, there has been various punditry about Kane's future at Spurs with a suggestion that CL qualification next year was a factor. Still, top-half finish and league cup final isn't too shabby.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Wouldn't surprise me if Levy didn't want to give him the chance of winning the Caramac and using that as a smokescreen for his failures elsewhere, forever boasting 'at Tottenham I win trophy, is what they asked of me, but is not enough?'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe league cup isn't much of a counter. Nice to have a bit a silverware, but CL qualification is much more important.

To the management of the club, yes. I would assume fans would quite like to win something.

If not, can I ask in future that Spurs and other teams don't enter the competition so they can be contested by teams who do want to win it? Cheers.

Thursday

Quote from: Bernice on April 19, 2021, 03:17:48 PM

This has been true everywhere he goes.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on April 19, 2021, 03:32:47 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Levy didn't want to give him the chance of winning the Caramac and using that as a smokescreen for his failures elsewhere, forever boasting 'at Tottenham I win trophy, is what they asked of me, but is not enough?'

When I was talking to a friend earlier, I felt the timing was partly to do with being able to draw a line under his departure, whereas a cup win makes that more difficult - but wouldn't be surprised by that now that you have said it.

druss

This is even worse because when City inevitably demolish Spurs he will be able to say "If I had been in charge, maybe different result.".

Kankurette

Quote from: Bernice on April 19, 2021, 03:17:48 PM
That does seem to happen a lot with Mourinho. He always ends up pissing players off. Mind you, according to the Athletic some Spurs players complained that mean ol' Mauricio worked them too hard, so not feeling too sad for them.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 19, 2021, 03:38:07 PM
To the management of the club, yes. I would assume fans would quite like to win something.

If not, can I ask in future that Spurs and other teams don't enter the competition so they can be contested by teams who do want to win it? Cheers.

If participation was optional half the teams wouldn't bother.
But it isn't, so they use it to play the reserves or youth team.
4 of these teams (Man City + 3 others) then find themselves in the semi-final, so they start trying.
Then Man City win the final and no one cares.

Kankurette

king_tubby

DrGreggles

Klopp looked fucking furious during that interview!
He's going to walk at the end of the season, I think.

bgmnts

I wouldnt want to be passively bollocked by Big Dunc to be fair, as a child or an adult.

That half scottish, half scouse accent is absolute dynamite.

Beagle 2

Not sure the prospect of a visit would be something I'd relish. Best enjoyed from a safe distance.

BlodwynPig

He's a cunt and I'd spark him right out.

BlodwynPig

Thursday

He's making any potential "if this goes ahead, I walk" threats a bit moot.