Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:46:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021: well done, he's 13

Started by sevendaughters, January 09, 2021, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernice

I would think it's way beyond even their considerable combined wealth.

The Culture Bunker

I'd imagine a considerable barrier is not only the asking price of the club, but also the huge debt the Glazers saddled on the club. The ground is in a right state as well, in dire need of (presumably expensive) work.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Bernice on May 03, 2021, 03:35:41 PM
I would think it's way beyond even their considerable combined wealth.

Could bring in their buddy Lim. Who I'm sure could recruit some of his billionaire buddies to help. I'm sure they wouldn't want any slice of the ESL pie.

The Culture Bunker

Bit strange, in a pleasant way, to see that some of the most high profile support for the protests by United fans is coming from Jamie Carragher - including slating "lazy punditry" from those saying (Souness, I guessed) it's only happening because United aren't wining titles anymore.

Captain Z

Had to snort last night during MOTD2 when Chappers was interviewing some Man Utd fan group spokesman. He ended by politely pointing out that pundits don't appreciate that they have some of the most powerful voices in football and it would nice to see them taking more of a stance on these issues. Chappers goes "OK, thanks very much [name]. Anyway, on to some actual football...".

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Captain Z on May 03, 2021, 06:14:04 PM
Had to snort last night during MOTD2 when Chappers was interviewing some Man Utd fan group spokesman. He ended by politely pointing out that pundits don't appreciate that they have some of the most powerful voices in football and it would nice to see them taking more of a stance on these issues. Chappers goes "OK, thanks very much [name]. Anyway, on to some actual football...".

yeah that was a beautiful moment

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on May 03, 2021, 03:58:15 PM
Could bring in their buddy Lim. Who I'm sure could recruit some of his billionaire buddies to help. I'm sure they wouldn't want any slice of the ESL pie.

Already doing wonderful work with Valencia.

chveik

lol. what a massive cunt. ruining football clubs must be his kink

finnquark

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on May 03, 2021, 03:12:21 PM
Salford FC who them top football blokes in the "Class of '92" sold half of to Singaporean billionaire Peter Lim and have a massive wage bill for their current division?

Nev doesn't mention that too often.

Nev actually does, in order to add credence to his half baked ravings. 'And I own a football club, by the way, I run one, I know what it's like.' His hypocrisy is a hobby horse of mine, so I won't go on about it, but suffice to say Salford suits Nev down to the ground - big bullying fish in a small pond.

Kankurette

Quote from: chveik on May 03, 2021, 09:26:52 PM
lol. what a massive cunt. ruining football clubs must be his kink
Destroy and exit!

ETA: apparently Neville is a giant pain in the arse who turns up at meetings for the buildings he owns and tells them to do stupid shit like remove a lift shaft. The silly sausage.

On a non-Super League note, I'm enjoying Alex Miller's Wednesday book. Football was a different world back then. Players getting drunk off their tits, Ron Atkinson (who doesn't approve of female fans, which is...awkward) lobbing teacups at the team, John Sheridan calling David Hirst all sorts of things on the pitch, Stan Boardman as guest of honour, Nigel Pearson covering an apprentice's face in polish for not cleaning his boots properly, apprentices sweeping the floor and being bullied by senior players, and lots of machismo and laddishness. It's a shame Chris Turner is a raging Brexit Party supporter, he was a decent keeper. Speaking of which, I had no idea Kevin Pressman had the mental age of five and got kicked out of the final squad and told to change his attitude because he was wandering around throwing a gigantic strop after he got dropped. While the other players were partying and getting twatted after that final, he was sitting on a park bench drowning his sorrows. Atkinson's harshness paid off though.

Monster trucks!

phantom_power

I know people don't have any sympathy for United and, well fair enough I suppose, but they are the club probably most affected by modern football's descent into capitalist free-for-all. They went from a well-run, financially solvent club that had all its funds generated by revenue rather than debt or some oligarch, to a debt-ridden mess that would cost billions to be freed from the clutches of its awful owners.

It is simply not true that fans are only complaining now because they are not successful. They have been doing various disparate, ineffective protests for years but I think the Super League stuff has emboldened them to realise that they might be able to make a difference if they push a bit harder.

I am still amazed that we have a financial system where a person can buy a company (or club) by borrowing loads of money and then put all that debt onto the company you just bought, essentially getting that company for nothing. That wouldn't work for most companies, but it does for a football club with a built-in, effectively captive audience.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: phantom_power on May 04, 2021, 09:45:30 AM
I know people don't have any sympathy for United and, well fair enough I suppose, but they are the club probably most affected by modern football's descent into capitalist free-for-all. They went from a well-run, financially solvent club that had all its funds generated by revenue rather than debt or some oligarch, to a debt-ridden mess that would cost billions to be freed from the clutches of its awful owners.
Quite. Something like a billion quid out of the club on debt repayments, as well as the Glazer mob having their share as "consultancy fees" or whatever label they use.

I expect zero sympathy, of course, because it's Man United and that's totally understandable, and I remember the general reaction from fans of other clubs in 2005 was almost celebration. But it showed a way of "buying" a football team for zero personal cost and all the risk stuck on the club. Even if United go bust tomorrow, the Glazer family loses nothing beyond potential future gains.

Kankurette

Explain it to me like I'm five: what exactly have the Glazers done to piss off so many United fans, and how did they rack up so much debt? Are we talking asset stripping/ridiculous wages/the kind of shenanigans the Oystons were getting up to with Blackpool?

After some thought, I've realised I do support the protests, personal triggers aside: I just don't like the violence or fans fighting each other. You're supposed to be on the same side!

imitationleather

Mourinho has joined Roma.

Surprising.

I'd feel sorry for Roma's fans, if they weren't all fascists.

Kankurette

On the plus side, this means we'll get to see him and Conte face off again, and Lukaku can remind him of how stupid he was to let him go.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Kankurette on May 04, 2021, 02:11:23 PM
Explain it to me like I'm five: what exactly have the Glazers done to piss off so many United fans, and how did they rack up so much debt? Are we talking asset stripping/ridiculous wages/the kind of shenanigans the Oystons were getting up to with Blackpool?

After some thought, I've realised I do support the protests, personal triggers aside: I just don't like the violence or fans fighting each other. You're supposed to be on the same side!

the loan which the Glazers took out to buy the club was secured against MU's assets, even though they had the cash to buy the team outright. they acquired nearly 800m debt but paid a lot of by issuing bonds (which quelled the fans, not 'winning stuff') but still have shitloads of debt which has gotten worse with COVID.

kitsofan34

That's how you'd explain it to a five year old?

sevendaughters

Quote from: kitsofan34 on May 04, 2021, 02:48:11 PM

this five year old knows asset stripping, I feel they're able to handle some relatively common financial products

EOLAN

Alan McLoughlin; who scored a cracker of a goal  in a hostile Windsor Park to qualify the Republic of Ireland for the 1994 World Cup has passed away at 54.

Kankurette

Quote from: kitsofan34 on May 04, 2021, 02:48:11 PM
A five year old who knows a bit about bad naughty chairmen, yes.

Captain Z

In other former Tottenham manager news, Andre Villas Boas is apparently now a World Rally Championship driver.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's nothing, Martin Jol announced he has plans to 'crush' AJ Styles in the Octagon.

imitationleather

Mbappe on the bench tonight.

Poch is coming back to Spurs, lads!

chveik

Inspector Norse

Quote from: imitationleather on May 04, 2021, 02:26:40 PM
I'd feel sorry for Roma's fans, if they weren't all fascists.

It's Lazio who are traditionally the fascists (see: Paolo Di Canio) while Roma are usually associated with more left-wing fans (and players, eg Damiano Tommasi) though I think they've got their share of loony ultras these days.

I always had a soft spot for Roma, one of my favoured teams on Football Manager. Feel sorry for them now.

imitationleather

Yes I messed that up.

And I wonder why we don't have more Roma fans posting on the forum.

bgmnts

Yeah I thought Lazio had the fascist fans and Roma were my Fifa and FM team for a long time and they had some great players I liked. They were my Italian FC Schalke.

No team deserves Mourinho though, not even Man Utd.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: imitationleather on May 04, 2021, 07:56:25 PM
And I wonder why we don't have more Roma fans posting on the forum.

Oh that's just because their English is shit

imitationleather

Poch up against it with their main man missing in a Champions League semi-final second leg...

We should have loaned them Moura for the evening.