Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:16:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021: well done, he's 13

Started by sevendaughters, January 09, 2021, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Sorry resident Spurs fans.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/17/tottenham-left-reeling-after-harry-kane-tells-club-he-wants-to-leave-this-summer

On the plus side you'll probably get a shitload of cash to spend on 4 or 5 players that wont fill the gap left by the player leaving.

The Culture Bunker

Not a surprise, just a question of whether he goes to Man City or Chelsea, the former being the favourites I would say.

imitationleather

We'll recover, just like Barcelona did after Messi left them last summer.

Bernice

If he wants to leave he probably shouldn't have:

a) signed a very long contract
b) at a club with a chairman who refuses to sell for less than top dollar
c) while developing a slightly worrying injury record.

I honestly can't see him going anywhere.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bernice on May 17, 2021, 10:39:11 PM

Dont clubs like to sign players up to new long term contracts so they can get as much money for them as possible?

Bernice

Well it protects the value of the asset - that means you can sell for big money or you can keep without significant risk of short-term depreciation. How much do you reckon Levy would demand for Kane, and then how many clubs do you reckon could afford to pay that this summer?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Bernice on May 17, 2021, 10:42:39 PMHow much do you reckon Levy would demand for Kane, and then how many clubs do you reckon could afford to pay that this summer?
There's only two, and I already mentioned them. City can afford whatever Spurs want and I suspect a fit Kane next year will see them sweep the lot.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bernice on May 17, 2021, 10:42:39 PM
Well it protects the value of the asset - that means you can sell for big money or you can keep without significant risk of short-term depreciation. How much do you reckon Levy would demand for Kane, and then how many clubs do you reckon could afford to pay that this summer?

Man City? Aguero is leaving at the end of the season.

Bernice

I guess, but then why go for Kane who will be crazy expensive? They could probably pick the younger Haaland up for a similar price, or get Lukaku, who they've also been linked to, for cheaper. Plus, when was the last time City even splashed out like that? They spread the cost around their ridiculous squad, rather than go for the big Galáctico buys.

Dunno, I could be wrong. I just really don't see him going anywhere.

imitationleather

Wherever he goes, this will be the biggest transfer in football since Sancho went to Man Utd last year.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bernice on May 17, 2021, 10:51:05 PM
I guess, but then why go for Kane who will be crazy expensive? They could probably pick the younger Haaland up for a similar price, or get Lukaku, who they've also been linked to, for cheaper.

Kane is proven in the premier league I suppose? Wouldn't take a season to adjust.

But then if any team could wait for a player like Haaland to spend a season finding his feet in the league it'd be City.

DrGreggles

Man City have just won the league with no centre forward in most games.
Would Pep change formation for Kane?

Chelsea seems a better fit in the PL.

I wonder if Bayern would be interested.
Bob L can't go on forever, and Kane would be an ideal replacement.

Kankurette

I thought Kane would go to Real Madrid like Bale and Modric did.

The Culture Bunker

I would think that Kane knows who is interested for him to come out with this - surely there's been some messages back and forth to establish he's not left holding his wad when it turns out everyone is "nah, we're sorted for strikers"?

Kankurette

If Richarlison leaves, and he will, we're even more screwed. I'm sure we can spunk a few mill on some ESL reject though. 

I don't even know why I care so much.

Captain Z

I rarely dream, or at least don't remember them, but last night I clearly imagined seeing a BBC article "Spurs accept £110m bid for Kane". Think it was PSG though.

badaids

Quote from: Kankurette on May 17, 2021, 11:24:50 PM
If Richarlison leaves, and he will, we're even more screwed. I'm sure we can spunk a few mill on some ESL reject though. 

I don't even know why I care so much.

Richi has been poor the second half of the season though we couldn't afford to spunk the money on a complete waste of space like Iwobi. The bigger issue is that something is rotten at the club and has been for years - our teams have no ambition, intensity or edge. And not even Ancelotti knows how to fix it.

BlodwynPig

Replace with Ellen White, no-one would notice

Inspector Norse

He has? He's had the occasional injury like any player but he's missed three league games this season and overall played 229 out of 264 Spurs PL games over the last seven years. Not exactly Darren Anderton. If he moved to a "bigger" club it might be beneficial to his fitness as well as they could afford to rest him more often.

Quote from: Kankurette on May 17, 2021, 11:20:22 PM
I thought Kane would go to Real Madrid like Bale and Modric did.

It would be a logical move, too, as Benzema is approaching pensionable age (and has his court case pending), and Kane's game is quite similar these days. And would fit the bill of big star signing for Real.

The only issue is that last I heard Real Madrid had debts the size of a small planet and probably can't actually sign Kane, unless they convince Spurs to accept a player exchange with Bale and one or two others going to London.

Chedney Honks

I would be a great gaffer at Everton. Just kill all the players and staff.

Ignatius_S

Contract lengths often don't mean too much. One report I read about this news mentioned that Modric had to play hardball to leave Spurs; what wasn't mentioned was that when he did in was two years into a six year contract extension.

Also, football agents have a lot of influence on contracts being signed and in various discussions recently, there's been mention about how player families can also impact that, both of who don't always have the players' interests at heart.

I don't tend to have a huge amount of sympathy with footballers and contracts, but its a weird industry and sometimes we're talking about very young people, who are reliant on the advice of people they think they can trust. 

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Ignatius_S on May 18, 2021, 08:49:31 AM
Contract lengths often don't mean too much. One report I read about this news mentioned that Modric had to play hardball to leave Spurs; what wasn't mentioned was that when he did in was two years into a six year contract extension.

Also, football agents have a lot of influence on contracts being signed and in various discussions recently, there's been mention about how player families can also impact that, both of who don't always have the players' interests at heart.

I don't tend to have a huge amount of sympathy with footballers and contracts, but its a weird industry and sometimes we're talking about very young people, who are reliant on the advice of people they think they can trust.
I suspect from a club perspective, they don't want to play too hardball on the issue of contracts and players wanting to move on, in case it puts off future targets from signing. Put up enough of a fight to appease the fans a little and show you're not a complete pushover (and help get the biggest fee), but not too much.

Utter Shit

Kane won't be allowed to go to United or Chelsea. City is possible if the money is huge. I suspect PSG is the most likely destination if he is willing to move abroad (and it's as easy to get back to London from Paris as it is from Manchester), but in all probability he will stay because Levy knows he will get a similar fee for him next summer.

There's no motivation to sell, regardless of how much Kane wants to go. He would be mad to choose to stay at this point, but it's out of his hands.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 18, 2021, 09:57:40 AM
There's no motivation to sell, regardless of how much Kane wants to go. He would be mad to choose to stay at this point, but it's out of his hands.

The motivation to sell is purely down to Kane wanting to go.
They'll get a shitload for him, so they should cash in on someone who doesn't want to be there.
I suppose they'll wait until after the Euros though, as a good tournament from Kane will bump the price up a bit.

badaids

Kane probably signed the contract because it was a shit load more money and he was hoping Spurs would challenge, plus he seems loyal enough to allow Spurs to command a fee for him if he did want to leave. And I suppose there will be all kinds of clauses in there that cover the terms of how and who they can and can't work.

I'd be surprised if his agent and he didn't already know which clubs were in for him. Spurs can only have so much say in the matter as Kane could make life very difficult for him. Chelsea or City are favorites I guess.

With no manager and their best player leaving Spurs are screwed. I wonder if they'll try and prise Ancelotti from us.

Kankurette

Quote from: Chedney Honks on May 18, 2021, 08:08:34 AM
I would be a great gaffer at Everton. Just kill all the players and staff.
Duncan Ferguson considers rewrite[nb]I would keep Pickford as a pet[/nb].

I should replace Chansiri. Sell all the out of contract players, give Moore free rein over transfers and coaching staff, actually listen to the other staff instead of my teenage son, have Carlton Palmer as club ambassador, and make Kevin Pressman goalkeeping coach with Westwood as his minion. Or Stephen Bywater, so he can frighten the keepers into playing well.
Quote from: badaids on May 18, 2021, 06:27:21 AM
Richi has been poor the second half of the season though we couldn't afford to spunk the money on a complete waste of space like Iwobi. The bigger issue is that something is rotten at the club and has been for years - our teams have no ambition, intensity or edge. And not even Ancelotti knows how to fix it.
Which is exactly why the Old Boys' Network mentality needs to die. And a lot of that is down to Kenwright, IMO.

Moshiri clearly has ambition, but how is it not filtering down to the teams? And it's all very well saying 'sack Ancelotti' (not you btw) but we've gone through 5 managers since Moyes, 7 if you count Unsworth and Ferguson, and not one of them has lasted more than 2 seasons, though Bob came close, and in that time we've won no trophies and barely achieved anything except a couple of semi finals and two European campaigns, one OK, one disastrous. And most of the Moyes/Martinez era players are gone. Coleman is the only Moyes era player left.

BlodwynPig

Utter Shit

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 18, 2021, 10:44:00 AM
The motivation to sell is purely down to Kane wanting to go.
They'll get a shitload for him, so they should cash in on someone who doesn't want to be there.
I suppose they'll wait until after the Euros though, as a good tournament from Kane will bump the price up a bit.

If Kane kicked up a fuss to move then yeah, there's your motivation to sell. He doesn't strike me as the type to do that, but then neither did Bale or Modric. My gut says he is forced to stay another year, but it's not impossible that he goes either to City or abroad if he is willing to uproot his family.

United and Chelsea have no chance, in fact I'd be surprised if they even try given what we know about the relationships between the clubs and
the people in charge. The only way it could happen is if there is a release fee, which isn't something I've heard.

As much as I'll be gutted to see him go, part of me is excited to see what he can achieve at a top side. I'm not sure there is a better player in the world at the moment - you can make arguments for a number of players like Messi, Lewandowski, de Bruyne and Neymar but the number of goals and assists Kane gets while playing for such an average team is pretty mad.

badaids

Quote from: Kankurette on May 18, 2021, 11:41:43 AM
Duncan Ferguson considers rewrite[nb]I would keep Pickford as a pet[/nb].

I should replace Chansiri. Sell all the out of contract players, give Moore free rein over transfers and coaching staff, actually listen to the other staff instead of my teenage son, have Carlton Palmer as club ambassador, and make Kevin Pressman goalkeeping coach with Westwood as his minion. Or Stephen Bywater, so he can frighten the keepers into playing well.Which is exactly why the Old Boys' Network mentality needs to die. And a lot of that is down to Kenwright, IMO.

Moshiri clearly has ambition, but how is it not filtering down to the teams? And it's all very well saying 'sack Ancelotti' (not you btw) but we've gone through 5 managers since Moyes, 7 if you count Unsworth and Ferguson, and not one of them has lasted more than 2 seasons, though Bob came close, and in that time we've won no trophies and barely achieved anything except a couple of semi finals and two European campaigns, one OK, one disastrous. And most of the Moyes/Martinez era players are gone. Coleman is the only Moyes era player left.

And - not by coincidence - Coleman is the only still player with some guts. We've signed a lot of very skilful footballers to play in different positions all over the last 7 years but they are all the same between the ears - languid and relaxed. The few players we've signed that do have a bit of fight (Richi, digne) have softened to the fit in with the rest. Need 5 or 6 Allan/Godfrey type players basically before they slacken off too. I love Ancelotti but he does seem baffled about how to deal with it. Personally I'd get rid of Brands and let Ancelotti sign and sell who he wants. My fear is that he'll have had enough and sod off to Spurs or back to Madrid.

Utter Shit

Blimey I didn't know Everton fans were that upset. Felt like you were having having a decent season, nor brilliant but not bad. Plenty of good players there - DCL, Richardson, Digne, Godfrey.