Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who's Been Jabbed With The Vax?

Started by Dr Rock, January 09, 2021, 06:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencalx

No that seems to be that. All tests came back normal. I think they're just very hot on doing them at the moment.

JamesTC

Fully Pfizered. You can all spit in my mouth all you like and it won't do a thing LOSERS!

chveik

it's done.

come at me you covid slags

zomgmouse

Sorry if this has been answered but I would like to get the vaccine (I am in Australia) and I think I can be eligible for Pfizer or AZ. But I'm not sure which one is best ("whichever one you can get" notwithstanding). I've heard a lot of people vastly preferring Pfizer but then most of the UK is getting AZ and it seems to be fine? I'm not entirely sure of the pros and cons of either and I'm a bit scared of all the side effects (obviously covid is worse etc) - or whether it's worth waiting for a different one to come along or just get it over with. Basically just lots of factors and questions and it's all a bit overwhelming. Does anyone have any advice or handy comparison sheets or things like that? Thanks in advance.

Vitalstatistix

I'll let smarter people comment on comparisons, but I'm fairly sure "waiting for a different one to come along" is the incorrect answer.

4.43 billion doses have been administered globally. It's safe. Ignore the grifters. Get that shit down ya!

Consignia

If you have a choice, get Pfzier. But don't turn down AZ if offered. Pfzier is a slightly higher efficacy value, but AZ is effective as well. There are some very small chances of adverse affects from all vaccines (and medicine in general), but they are generally very safe genuinely much better than suffering from COVID. You'll also be helping other people by getting the vaccine, by reducing your chance to be a burden on your local health service you'll free it up for people. Not only is it good for you, it's the socially conscious thing to do.

Ferris

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 09, 2021, 06:06:24 AM
whether it's worth waiting for a different one to come along

I don't think waiting is a good call at all - better vaccines aren't really gonna be a thing. AZ and Pfizer are both very effective with essentially zero risk outside of what you'd expect for your annual flu shot if you're allergic to eggs or whatever they put on the label.

Pfizer has a slightly higher rate for preventing cases, but AZ is also very effective. If you think of three categories for covid vaccine efficacy as [prevents cases] / [prevents hospitalization] / [prevents death], I think AZ is 70/95/99 and Pfizer is 90/95/99 or something. With either vaccine if you end up getting covid you will likely get a very mild or asymptomatic case. I think AZ has a higher risk of serious side effects but it is still negligible - it's like buying two lotto tickets instead of one: you're still not going to win.

I'm sure someone will be along to correct those numbers, but that's my understanding of it.

Tl;dr Pfizer has a slight benefit in the one category that isn't massively important, but both are very good so take whatever you can get.

JamesTC

Basically: take either one and don't die.

steveh

In addition to what the others have said, Pfizer invokes a slightly faster immune system response whereas AZ protection builds over time but there's ample evidence by now that both are performing really well. Incidence of blood clots has turned out to be much the same for both, and detecting and treating that very rare event has improved too.

greencalx

Indeed, as our recent experience indicates, if you do get a headache that won't go away after the vaccine, you will get taken very seriously. And I believe the adverse effects are treatable if caught sufficiently quickly.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Consignia on August 09, 2021, 10:31:01 AM
There are some very small chances of adverse affects from all vaccines (and medicine in general)
This is a very important point, I think. How many anti vaxxers have never taken a paracetamol or a spoonful of delicious Calpol?

Hell, there's almost nothing that is risk free. I'm sure we've all seen that mock petition for banning water. Sunlight causes skin cancer. Cars kill fuck knows how many people through crashes and pollution. A bloke I know who refuses to get a covid vaccine was desperate to get back to poisoning his liver down the pub.

chveik

Quote from: chveik on August 07, 2021, 11:03:18 AM
it's done.

come at me you covid slags

no side effects, other than going to bed early.

pfizer you magnificent bastard

Chedney Honks

Wait for the after shock mate RIP :(

X

mothman

Neomod

Second Moderna this arvo. Felt the jab this time. Arm immediately aching a bit but has eased off an hour later. No other symptoms to report as of yet.

The vaccine centre had downsized from the large performance hall previously to the entrance area.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: JamesTC on August 06, 2021, 08:59:06 PM
Fully Pfizered. You can all spit in my mouth all you like and it won't do a thing LOSERS!

Perhaps I have tuberculosis. Still want me to gob in your mouth?

Neomod

Quote from: Neomod on August 10, 2021, 03:21:18 PM
Second Moderna this arvo. Felt the jab this time. Arm immediately aching a bit but has eased off an hour later. No other symptoms to report as of yet.

The vaccine centre had downsized from the large performance hall previously to the entrance area.

Feeling a bit knackered today. I'm guessing the second jab is stronger than the first or maybe it's a cumulative effect. Anyway should disappear with 48 hours apparently.

Neomod

Just woken from a 5 hour sleep. Totally wiped me out.

chveik

Quote from: chveik on August 09, 2021, 01:10:21 PM
no side effects, other than going to bed early.

pfizer you magnificent bastard

what next? who wants to fuck?

Mr Farenheit

Got the call today! Sent to the school across the road for vaccination, queued for an hour or so, and.... they ran out!

Oh well, will try again tomorrow. A bit of lockdown excitement at least. They're aiming to have 70% of the city (Ho Chi Minh City) vaccinated with one shot by end of the month, which will be pretty good going if they pull it off given the size of the place and that it was at about 5% jabbed two weeks ago.

Fr.Bigley

Fr.Bigley

You tried Bangkok yet or you just saying Phuket?

JesusAndYourBush

From posts I read on facebook, I see that people in Israel are having their THIRD jab!

zomgmouse

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I know this is something I need to do but I'm finding myself still a bit spooked by the potential side effects (particularly the heart stuff) and the idea of getting boosters. I'll probably get the Pfizer if I do - but they've now announced that Australia will be getting some Moderna in the next month, so is there a particular difference?

It's one of those things where I think my anxiety is getting the better of me and I'm not sure how to overcome it.

katzenjammer

My 13 year old son got his first jab yesterday, on the one hand, yay! but on the other it does seem wrong and shortsighted that kids in rich countries get it despite being low risk whilst people who are high risk in poor countries can't

Drygate

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 12, 2021, 01:56:23 AM
From posts I read on facebook, I see that people in Israel are having their THIRD jab!

and still got infected and hospitalized! https://freewestmedia.com/2021/08/09/israelis-who-got-third-jab-infected-with-covid-19/

Quote from: katzenjammer on August 12, 2021, 08:43:04 AM
My 13 year old son got his first jab yesterday, on the one hand, yay! but on the other it does seem wrong and shortsighted that kids in rich countries get it despite being low risk whilst people who are high risk in poor countries can't

How did you swing that?

It's not like if you don't have one, they're going to ship it overseas, so I guess if they are giving them, you might as well have one.

katzenjammer

How did you swing that?

We live in Madrid. They opened vaccination for 12-16 year olds this week.

buttgammon

It's open to the same age group in Ireland now. I think the logic is that they want to avoid a spike when the secondary schools reopen.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Drygate on August 12, 2021, 09:19:11 AM
and still got infected and hospitalized! https://freewestmedia.com/2021/08/09/israelis-who-got-third-jab-infected-with-covid-19/

the state of that website

Quote from: https://freewestmedia.com/about/The political landscape of Europe is changing. New parties and movements grow from below, propelled by enthusiastic grassroots. Parties like Alternative für Deutschland, Front National and Freiheitliche Partei Österreich gain momentum, in spite of harsh opposition from the establishment and harassment from street thugs. Even more so, the old establishment parties that like to call them "populist" are slowly and silently adapting their policies to mimic those new rivals in the hope of stopping the flight of the voters, thus proving the "populists" right.

Drygate

It wasn't a great link but if you Google it there are 1000s of sites to choose from. That one was just at the top in ddg.