Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who's Been Jabbed With The Vax?

Started by Dr Rock, January 09, 2021, 06:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: flotemysost on January 15, 2021, 11:45:49 PM
Just heard my mum and dad (70 and 71) are getting it next week. Apparently some areas (including theirs) are fast tracking groups 3 and 4 to avoid doses being wasted, which possibly suggests they might be getting Pfizer'd (possibly not, I dunno). The thought of potentially being able to see them again within the next few weeks feels quite weird.

Woah my mum and dad are both 73 and they haven't been offered it yet.

WHAT THE FUCK

bgmnts

Are they in the Kent area as well? Isnt Kent close to going full Mad Max?

Durance Vile

Quote from: jobotic on January 16, 2021, 09:42:27 PM

WHAT THE FUCK

Mine are in Medway, over 80 and pissed off that they haven't heard a word yet.

Blinder Data

EVERY adult will be offered the vaccine by September, the UK government claim.

Will believe it when I see it obvs, but it would be amazing. Now I can just about make out a glimmer of hope in the distance...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/17/all-adults-uk-offered-coronavirus-vaccine-september

olliebean

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 17, 2021, 02:13:14 PM

Will believe it when I see it obvs, but it would be amazing. Now I can just about make out a glimmer of hope in the distance...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/17/all-adults-uk-offered-coronavirus-vaccine-september

QuoteIn an interview with Sophy Ridge on Sky News, Raab was unable to guarantee that all of those who have already received a first dose of vaccine would get their second within the recommended 12-week timescale – though he said he was "quietly confident" it could be done.

"Unable to guarantee". Sounds like that 12-week timescale is gonna end up stretching.

Also, where does that "recommended" come from? Wasn't the whole point that the "recommended" timescale was 3-4 weeks, but the government decided to extend it to 12 to make the figures look better?

jobotic

Quote from: Durance Vile on January 17, 2021, 02:06:15 PM
Mine are in Medway, over 80 and pissed off that they haven't heard a word yet.

Two vaccination centres have opened up now (apart from the hospital). I wanted to volunteer at one but work wouldn't release me (despite being in public sector). One is near me and I've walked past and seen it's in action.

Hope they hear something soon.

stonkers

If they do manage to get up to the 500K a day target - which isn't looking out of the question - then we're on track for every adult in the UK getting both dose before the end of the summer.

Brian Freeze

I was chatting to a homeless chap we are friendly with and he and all the people at the hostel he stays at have been offered and given the jab if they wanted it.

It has restored my faith in humanity and our local council.

lebowskibukowski

My wife got her first jab on Friday. All sounded very efficient - room split into three blocks, blocks of thirty people at a time, three nurses coming down the lines, quick hello, jab and go, next thirty ushered in. Probably less than 10 minutes for the three blocks.

finnquark

Quote from: Brian Freeze on January 18, 2021, 08:06:47 AM
I was chatting to a homeless chap we are friendly with and he and all the people at the hostel he stays at have been offered and given the jab if they wanted it.

It has restored my faith in humanity and our local council.

A member of Oldham council was being grilled about this on North West Tonight last week. The line of questioning essentially amounted to 'what about more valuable people?' The councillor said he wore the backlash against it as a badge of honour, which was a nice line.

flotemysost

Quote from: jobotic on January 16, 2021, 09:42:27 PM

WHAT THE FUCK

Hope they hear something soon.

My mum and dad are in Greater London. They both assumed the text from their GP surgery was a phishing scam when it came through (they're not like suspicious conspiracy theorist types at all, they just really weren't expecting to be called up this soon).

Quote from: finnquark on January 18, 2021, 11:08:17 AM
A member of Oldham council was being grilled about this on North West Tonight last week. The line of questioning essentially amounted to 'what about more valuable people?' The councillor said he wore the backlash against it as a badge of honour, which was a nice line.

This is great.

jobotic

Thanks, I'm only joking. Not really expecting them to get it until the end of the month at least.

olliebean

I updated my contact details with my GP practice over a week ago, having realised they didn't have my mobile number and my landline is no longer connected, but I've yet to receive any confirmation from them and the change is still showing as pending, so the probable upshot is my GP practice's admin is shit and I'm going to end up getting a "reminder" letter about the vaccination from the NHS a month or two after I ought to have been offered it by my GP, the same as what happened with the flu vaccination.

katzenjammer

Quote from: jobotic on January 18, 2021, 11:35:29 PM
Thanks, I'm only joking. Not really expecting them to get it until the end of the month at least.

My parents are 75 and just got an appointment for Tuesday. Does seem like the UK are getting their shit together with the vaccination program,  certainly compared to Spain

Got an email about the jab on Tuesday and then got it done 9pm yesterday. It's the Pfizer one, with the second jab happening early April. The only weird part was waiting for 15 minutes afterwards in a socially distance circle or chairs.

I'm NHS staff but currently all my work is WFH on telephone or video calls.

The Culture Bunker

Somehow, due to my job I'm getting the jab on Tuesday. I think it's because my department is considered front-line/essential service, even though my own role doesn't involve leaving the desk.

thugler

Is it just me who thinks it seems rather a long time to wait until September? Given the scale of the shit China did to respond for example. What is the major holdup anyway?

Inspector Norse

"Offered"

not "given"

Enables them to just send out a mass e-mail in August "offering" the vaccine to the 30 million who still haven't had it because Matt Hancock's mate has used half the reserve in his casserole.

JamesTC

My grandad and his wife have had their second jab. I believe they had the first in December but that still seems early considering the change to a three-month gap. Not that I'm complaining though as it is a great relief. They both had major surgery in 2019 and one nearly died multiple times at the end of 2019 and start of 2020, so they are as vulnerable as they come.

timebug

Two relatives of mine, one almost 80 and one 84,have both had their jab. My mate Col took his Dad for his yesterday,which gives me hope,as his Dad is only a year older than me! But of course, Col being who he is*, tried his best to talk his Dad out of having it.

*Col believes the Moon landings never happened; Elvis is probably still alive; the Vaccination is a deep Government plot to fool us all into believing that it actually works. And many more.Strange guy,Col.

buttgammon

Quote from: timebug on January 25, 2021, 09:36:44 AM
Two relatives of mine, one almost 80 and one 84,have both had their jab. My mate Col took his Dad for his yesterday,which gives me hope,as his Dad is only a year older than me! But of course, Col being who he is*, tried his best to talk his Dad out of having it.

*Col believes the Moon landings never happened; Elvis is probably still alive; the Vaccination is a deep Government plot to fool us all into believing that it actually works. And many more.Strange guy,Col.

Your mate Col sounds a lot like my uncle, who thinks the whole covid thing is a conspiracy, but still got vaccinated last week. I'm glad he got it, especially as he's in a vulnerable group, but a little part of me is a bit miffed at the hypocrisy.

jobotic

It does seem odd to get a vaccine for something that doesn't exist.

buttgammon

Quote from: jobotic on January 25, 2021, 11:37:12 AM
It does seem odd to get a vaccine for something that doesn't exist.

Being charitable, it might be a bit of a Pascal's wager thing, as in it's insurance in case he's wrong, but I know my uncle has said nonsense about the vaccine - and explicitly told my mum he wasn't getting it for a number of spurious reasons - so it's quite the volte-face.

TrenterPercenter

Just got back from having it myself (old man as high risk had it on Sunday).

For all of those people worrying about having it don't, the microchip is really small and you barely feel it going in.

Seriously though it is a wondrous incredibly privileged thing for UK citizens (fuckers are not giving it to people without citizenship which is bonkers and just straight up disgusting) to get vaccinated and hopefully everyone can be one sooner rather than later.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on January 21, 2021, 10:39:18 AM
Got an email about the jab on Tuesday and then got it done 9pm yesterday. It's the Pfizer one, with the second jab happening early April. The only weird part was waiting for 15 minutes afterwards in a socially distance circle or chairs.

Hehe! yes this was weird. We were all put in socially distanced timed rows and forced to listen to uplifting soul music for 15 minutes.  There is definitely conspiracy $$ in this.

Blinder Data

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 25, 2021, 03:10:04 PM
Just got back from having it myself (old man as high risk had it on Sunday).

For all of those people worrying about having it don't, the microchip is really small and you barely feel it going in.

Seriously though it is a wondrous incredibly privileged thing for UK citizens (fuckers are not giving it to people without citizenship which is bonkers and just straight up disgusting) to get vaccinated and hopefully everyone can be one sooner rather than later.

you what??? is this true?! how could they exclude permanent residents if they're signed up to a GP or work for NHS? with the airports shuttered, it's not like we're full of "health tourists" at the moment...!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 26, 2021, 11:43:04 AM
you what??? is this true?! how could they exclude permanent residents if they're signed up to a GP or work for NHS? with the airports shuttered, it's not like we're full of "health tourists" at the moment...!

Hmmm it is what my Syrian friend told me - but I've just looked it up and guidance is different - weird as he is usually spot on with these things.  Just going to WhatsApp him now about it.

The Culture Bunker

No soul music for me to enjoy during my 15 minutes "recovery", though it clearly isn't very well monitored at Wythenshawe hospital as a fair few people fucked off after five.

katzenjammer

My parents just got their first, second one on 13th April. FFS

jobotic

Father's getting it on Wednesday.

Mother not heard anything even though she lives ten minutes walk from him and is six days younger. Oh well, shouldn't be long.