Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:20:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who's Been Jabbed With The Vax?

Started by Dr Rock, January 09, 2021, 06:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Quote from: Mr Banlon on April 21, 2021, 02:49:11 PM
Missus had her second AZ jab a couple of days ago. No side effects this time.
She was at the hospital for a non-Covid related reason yesterday. The doctor asked if she'd had the vaccines and whether she had side-effects from the first one. She said yes. He said the side-effects were because she had already been exposed to Covid.
It seems to be a common claim, but I'd prefer to hear it from a more-direct, credible source - disrespect to Mrs. Banlon! - before I start thinking I have had COVID...

Pranet

Got my second Pfizer jab today. Recognised some of the people in the waiting room from last time, which makes sense I suppose as we seem to book both appointments at the same time here. The nurse said to me they have found that people who have few or no symptoms on first jab tend to have it worse second time around, but so far I'm fine.

Jockice

Part two on Friday. I claim diplomatic immunity.

BlodwynPig

timebug

Had second dose on Tuesday. First lot gave me every side effect they said could happen;second one,nothing! Which was nice!

Harry Badger

Had the AZ 1st jab yesterday evening at the MVC in Cardiff Bay. My friend had gone the day before and there were massive queues but I was in and out in about twenty minutes. Felt a bit of pain when the dose went in which the nurse said was unusual (like 1 in 6), then she chatted to me about how football and cricket have been ruined by big money. Felt a bit tired last night, then woke up this morning feeling a bit ropey but nothing to prevent me from coming downstairs to do my public sector non-job.

One interesting thing I have noticed is that the supermarket shelves round here are completely out of aspirin. Not sure if this is a result of blood-clot scaremongering or just a shortage due to supply-chain fuckdown.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: mothman on April 21, 2021, 07:23:26 PM
It seems to be a common claim, but I'd prefer to hear it from a more-direct, credible source - disrespect to Mrs. Banlon! - before I start thinking I have had COVID...

There's some data that indicates that people who have had COVID can have a more pronounced reaction to vaccination, but the operative word is 'can'. One of my mates is a hospital consultant and was chatting to them about side-effects of jabs and they said there are so many factors at play here.

Quite a few friends work in healthcare and have had the Pfizer jab - most reported no reaction to the first jab, but one to the second; this included people who have tested positive COVID in the past. My understanding is that with the Pfizer jab, that's what usually happens, whereas with the AZ one, people tend to have a reaction to the first, but not so much with the second.

I've had the Moderna vaccine and have read like the Pfizer, you're more likely to have a reaction to the the second, not the first but had definite side-effects so I'm a delicate little flower.

Billy

Quote from: popcorn on April 21, 2021, 05:33:56 PM
Just tried my luck at my nearest place. They said they sometimes give them to people at the end of the day if they've got some left over. I said "Ah right, well, I only live around the corner so perhaps I'll pop back". At this they all laughed, I don't know why, I must have appeared opportunistic.

So I was almost literally laughed out of the vaccination centre.

Thanks a lot Billy. Now I'll never be vaccinated and die.

Whoops, sounds like exactly what I thought would happen to me (and would have put me off ever trying again tbh). Could have been a very lucky fluke on my part that I rocked up just at the time they were giving out the spares, which I guess varies by centre. Woman who jabbed me said I was the only First Dose she'd given out all day as they're mostly sticking to seconds right now.

Really nicely I was able to book my second dose online today, as now my first dose is on the system it gives me timings for 11 weeks on (so early July) which are pretty much all available right now so I could pick when I wanted. Chose the Science Museum as it's near me and a rather fun place to get double-vaxxed.

Oh, and no mad side effects for me, unless "feeling a bit tired" counts approx 24 hours after the jab but I'd had a long day anyway so nothing out of the norm. Fairly comparable to a bit of a hangover and all gone by this morning.

Uncle TechTip

Same for me, AZ-1 yesterday and i feel like i have a mild hangover, though that might have been the several glasses of scotch i had last night. Literally no other symptoms. B cell count high thanks to massive weed abuse.

SteveDave

I (43) got done on the 3rd of April after a friend sent me a link (that I shared here I think?) to get some of the excess that the Science Museum had (somehow). The friend (45) went and got hers on the 1st, I got mine on the 3rd but my brother-in-law (44) and wife (40) (two separate people) were turned away saying there'd been a mistake and the link was never meant to be shared and that "You're young and healthy". When I got into the museum, the woman on the front desk said that they'd do me as a "gesture of goodwill" which was nice. I did have a concussion that day so there's a chance my eyes were bouncing all over the place and they took pity on me.

I've got my second one on the 18th of June. Can't wait to get back to not washing my hands and licking everything. 

MrMrs

does the vac reduce transmission then? or just reduce the effect of the vid if you catch it?

stonkers

Quote from: MrMrs on April 22, 2021, 01:32:26 PM
does the vac reduce transmission then? or just reduce the effect of the vid if you catch it?

General consensus[nb]Based entirely on following a bunch of immunologists, virologists and epidemiologists on Twitter, rather than any of my own knowledge[/nb] seems to be the vaccines all very likely reduce transmission.

NoSleep

Quote from: MrMrs on April 22, 2021, 01:32:26 PM

They were developed principally to reduce transmission by making you immune.

mothman

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 22, 2021, 09:54:27 AM
There's some data that indicates that people who have had COVID can have a more pronounced reaction to vaccination, but the operative word is 'can'. One of my mates is a hospital consultant and was chatting to them about side-effects of jabs and they said there are so many factors at play here.

Quite a few friends work in healthcare and have had the Pfizer jab - most reported no reaction to the first jab, but one to the second; this included people who have tested positive COVID in the past. My understanding is that with the Pfizer jab, that's what usually happens, whereas with the AZ one, people tend to have a reaction to the first, but not so much with the second.

I've had the Moderna vaccine and have read like the Pfizer, you're more likely to have a reaction to the the second, not the first but had definite side-effects so I'm a delicate little flower.

Thanks Iggy! Also, I seem to have lost a "no" in my original post - as in, "NO disrespect to Mrs. Banlon."

falafel

Had mine yesterday (AZ). Fine until bedtime, woke up at 2AM with shivers, chattering teeth, fever, aches and involuntary spasms in my diaphragm which kept making me randomly exhale unless I concentrated really hard on breathing. Basically like a sudden flu. Went on until 5 when I drifted back to sleep out of exhaustion. Got out of bed at 10, tried to do a bit of work, have basically felt severely hung over all day. But it's nearly passed. It was the worst I've felt for about 10 years. No regrets mind, the alternative is much worse.

Pinball

I had a jab today. Not a vaccine- I just like inserting needles into myself.

non capisco

Booked my first one for Friday morning , immediately realising once the booking completed that I've mugged myself off choosing a Friday and practically guaranteed a bank holiday weekend of side effects. All good, don't care, gerrit in me!

buzby

Had my first one on Sunday - Moderna (the St Helens Stadium centre used to be AZ but it seems they have switched over now). No noticiable side effects, other than a massive pain a couple of hours  afterwards where it was injected in my upper arm which has only really started receding now, and feeling slighly more knackered than usual the following evening. I'm guessing the arm pain was an immune system reaction.

shiftwork2

So all the old farts and medically-crocked of CaB have now been done.

Now we move on to the young bucks!

Captain Z

Just had mine this morning, 28 (plus 7) I was.

Cuellar

Just give it to me! Why aren't they giving it to me??

jobotic

So I just missed out on the Moderna?

Fuck my life.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 28, 2021, 10:17:45 AM
So all the old farts and medically-crocked of CaB have now been done.

Now we move on to the young bucks!

Just Thomas then

Icehaven

I'm 42, got a text yesterday saying my age goup had reached the top of the queue and there was a link to book. I presumed it was fake at first as I've had a run of scam phishing texts pretending to be from banks recently but it seems to be genuine, so I've got the first booked for the 13th May, the second for end of July.

I do wonder how many people around my age and younger who are getting our first jabs in the next month or two will end up forgetting/not bothering with the second because it's so far away and if everything goes according to plan and we're back to relative normality by then it'll be too easy to just think 'sod it'. When I was booking mine I was half thinking I hope it's easy to rearrange in case something comes up in the next 3 months.

shiftwork2

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 28, 2021, 12:46:38 PM
Just Thomas then

Time passes and now sadly even Thomas is 79 years old.

George White

Got first pfizer shot yesterday. Arm still sore.

wooders1978

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 22, 2021, 12:20:45 PM
Same for me, AZ-1 yesterday and i feel like i have a mild hangover, though that might have been the several glasses of scotch i had last night. Literally no other symptoms. B cell count high thanks to massive weed abuse.

I had AZ and noted the same, hadn't touched a drop but the familiar feel of a hangover was on me for a couple of days - dull headache, slight nausea

DrGreggles

Tomorrow!

Shitting it. Can't handle needles.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on April 28, 2021, 02:24:28 PM
I'm 42, got a text yesterday saying my age goup had reached the top of the queue and there was a link to book. I presumed it was fake at first as I've had a run of scam phishing texts pretending to be from banks recently but it seems to be genuine, so I've got the first booked for the 13th May, the second for end of July.

I do wonder how many people around my age and younger who are getting our first jabs in the next month or two will end up forgetting/not bothering with the second because it's so far away and if everything goes according to plan and we're back to relative normality by then it'll be too easy to just think 'sod it'. When I was booking mine I was half thinking I hope it's easy to rearrange in case something comes up in the next 3 months.

Well that would be foolish - just because it 'looks normal' doesn't mean it is.