Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:14:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who's Been Jabbed With The Vax?

Started by Dr Rock, January 09, 2021, 06:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencalx

Just got my blue letter, so being done next week.

flotemysost

Really genuinely heartened to read about so many of you getting penetrated (DP in some cases). Hope everyone's feeling OK.

Apparently under-40s might be offered Pfizer or Moderna over clot panic: https://uk.yahoo.com/news/under-40s-offered-alternative-astrazeneca-184116810.html

I mean if there is actually enough supply of the other brands to meet demand then I suppose that's OK, but isn't the risk of clots still vanishingly negligible compared to, you know, actually getting COVID (and also loads of other things, which many under-40s are probably already doing, like smoking or taking oestrogen-based contraceptives)? Also are they gonna give the unused AZ supplies to India or what? From a completely selfish perspective of course I'm actually thrilled to know I'll be getting the red-carpet Michelin-star PRESTIGE vax, whenever it's my turn.

In seriousness I've literally been having dreams about getting vaccinated. What a bizarre time.

Kankurette

A 40-year-old friend has had hers, hopefully not long for me now.

Drygate

Quote from: flotemysost on May 07, 2021, 12:00:07 AM
I mean if there is actually enough supply of the other brands to meet demand then I suppose that's OK, but isn't the risk of clots still vanishingly negligible compared to, you know, actually getting COVID (and also loads of other things, which many under-40s are probably already doing, like smoking or taking oestrogen-based contraceptives)?

I think the risk of getting a clot is getting worse the more younger people are having it. BBC is saying 1 in 60,000 for peeps in their 30s when before it was "one in a million".

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57021738

Also, just because people are doing risky stuff, doesn't mean they should be made to do more risky stuff, though I get your point! Bit like saying if someone is taking risks with their health by being obese, they should take risks and not wear a mask/social distance.

popcorn

Quote from: Drygate on May 07, 2021, 03:04:16 PM
Also, just because people are doing risky stuff, doesn't mean they should be made to do more risky stuff, though I get your point! Bit like saying if someone is taking risks with their health by being obese, they should take risks and not wear a mask/social distance.

I don't think that's a fair comparison - in this case the options are A) get the vax or B) don't get the vax. Both options have dangers, but one is much more dangerous than the other. It's not like you're stacking dangers as in your obesity + no-mask scenario.

Drygate

True. But is getting the vax really less dangerous than not getting the vax? Or did you mean the other way around?

What if you've already had covid and were fine and are now immune. Would having the vax have any upside and only potential downsides (from side effects)? I don't know but I'm not sure it's all that clear cut is it? If you had covid once and were fine does that mean you will be fine the second time around?

monkfromhavana

Has anyone had problems with the NHS website in booking your jabs?

NHS website says you HAVE to book your first and 2nd jabs at same time. Enter details for first and all fine, then it says I need to book the 2nd appointment and i have the choice of same place as first jab. Choose this but no appointments available (meaning I cannot book first one either). It says don't bother ringing 119 as they have same appointment data (I.E. None)

I redo the above, but this time choose a different site for my 2nd jab - it gives me a centre 50 miles away as the closest option, which isn't very helpful.

So I can't book 1st appointment, as it appears impossible to book the 2nd.

Anyone?

Fishfinger

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 07, 2021, 05:39:29 PM
Has anyone had problems with the NHS website in booking your jabs?

NHS website says you HAVE to book your first and 2nd jabs at same time. Enter details for first and all fine, then it says I need to book the 2nd appointment and i have the choice of same place as first jab. Choose this but no appointments available (meaning I cannot book first one either). It says don't bother ringing 119 as they have same appointment data (I.E. None)

Try it first thing in the morning. I say that because I used this system to book my mum's jabs in February, and at least three times I'd get right to the end and be informed that date/time I'd selected was no longer available. You may be experiencing some other issue, but it's likely to be something like that.

ETA: I got around it by booking afternoon appointments, because it seemed like the morning ones were gobbled up more quickly. i.e. in the time it took to fill out the form the timeslot was taken by someone else. Shit system.

Thought this was very interesting. Prof. Sucharit Bhakdi (infectious diseases expert at the University of Mainz) discusses his misgivings about gene based vaccines, the risk of them giving rise to blood clots and how that comes about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyPjAfNNA-U&t=690s

Fishfinger

I should add I got my own jabs via my local GP surgery. They contact you when there's a spot with a link to a different website and it seems a lot more efficient. Both times I could book an appointment within a day or two.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Fishfinger on May 07, 2021, 06:00:22 PM
Try it first thing in the morning. I say that because I used this system to book my mum's jabs in February, and at least three times I'd get right to the end and be informed that date/time I'd selected was no longer available. You may be experiencing some other issue, but it's likely to be something like that.

ETA: I got around it by booking afternoon appointments, because it seemed like the morning ones were gobbled up more quickly. i.e. in the time it took to fill out the form the timeslot was taken by someone else. Shit system.

Cheers, I called 119 anyway, woman advised my to book 2nd appt anywhere, then 48 hours after 1st jab, cancel it and rebook it for somewhere local.

Fishfinger

Bonkers system, but that sounds like it'll work. Good luck.

Ferris

Sounds like your boy ferris could be eligible for his dose of mind-controlling microchips in a few short weeks.

If my post quality degrades you'll know it's because of the microchips.

Full lockdown til then though as cases explode here. Fun, and doubly so with a toddler.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Had my first one this afternoon. Arm feels heavy (Mom's spaghetti). How long does it take for the nanomachines to burrow their way into your cerebral cortex?

hamfist

Had my 1st today too, AstraZeneca pumped into my rig. Feel quite normal at the moment

flotemysost

Quote from: Drygate on May 07, 2021, 04:10:42 PM
True. But is getting the vax really less dangerous than not getting the vax? Or did you mean the other way around?

What if you've already had covid and were fine and are now immune. Would having the vax have any upside and only potential downsides (from side effects)? I don't know but I'm not sure it's all that clear cut is it? If you had covid once and were fine does that mean you will be fine the second time around?

What I meant was, as far as I know, the risk of getting blood clots is generally thought to be far higher (regardless of age) from actually getting COVID than from getting the AZ vax.

Re: your second point, personally I definitely wouldn't want to bank solely on (potentially temporary) immunity from having had COVID at some point. Everyone I know who's tested positive for COVID at any point plans to be vaccinated (don't think anyone of them are particularly arsed about which one).

Quote from: Drygate on May 07, 2021, 03:04:16 PM

Oh no no, I didn't mean it in the sense of "if they're willing to take risks anyway, fuck 'em", and the example you're comparing to here just sounds misanthropic and irresponsible and doesn't seem to be the same thing at all. I meant more that a lot of the public concern and official measures around the risks of AZ sort of came across as ignoring the fact that there are loads of other very established, commonplace drugs and activities which also carry a risk of blood clots. Apologies if I wasn't very clear though.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be doing other things that carry that risk (well, smoking probably isn't advisable for anyone's health) and it's absolutely right that we're kept informed of the risks of any drug, but at the same time some people (I don't mean anyone here) seem to be acting as if this is the first time anyone ever had any side effects from anything. I know someone who became incredibly ill and nearly died from a rare reaction to Ibuprofen, which is obviously horrifying and absolutely something health professionals should be aware of, but at the same time I don't think everyone who does need to take Ibuprofen should sack it off (and neither does said friend, fwiw).

I mean, I'm under 40 and personally I've got a family history of clotty strokey type stuff, and being of South Asian descent puts me at a higher risk anyway, although I don't have some other danger factors like being overweight or a smoker. I did take the combined Pill for years, which can certainly also increase the risk. Anyway, if AZ was the only option, I'd take it without a doubt. If I'm offered another option, then I'm genuinely not sure - I suppose it makes sense to go for a potentially safer one. My brother had AZ last week but said he'd probably have taken another if he'd had the option.

peanutbutter

2nd Pfizer just there today, 32. Clinic was wayyyy busier than it was the first time round so I dunno if they've just started speeding things up or if I only got the first dose so early due to a quiet patch.

How long until I can spit at people now? 2 weeks?

mothman

You can do now, but wear a mask while doing so.

Jasha

Astra Zenica yesterday afternoon and other than the constant stream of eggy farts pumping out my arse felt fine, it's fucking hit now though with sweats shivers and a crap night's sleep in a soaking wet bed. Time to curl up and die

flotemysost

Quote from: Jasha on May 09, 2021, 07:50:30 AM
soaking wet bed

Think you're meant to wait a week or two before you can start having orgies.

Hope you all feel better soon!

I had my astrazeneca today.
Doesn't take much to knock me off breezy straight and prod me up anxiety parkway so I'm trying not to focus on how I feel too much but I'm looking forward to rank farts and sweaty orgies though!

Five worrying symptoms to keep an eye out for, apparently :(

Quotea severe headache that is not relieved with painkillers or is getting worse;
    a headache that feels worse when you lie down or bend over;
    a headache that is unusual for you and occurs with blurred vision, feeling or being sick, problems speaking, weakness, drowsiness or seizures;
    a rash that looks like small bruises or bleeding under the skin;
    shortness of breath, chest pain, leg swelling or persistent abdominal pain.

Ferris

Are people losing their minds about astra zeneca over there? AZ hesitancy is a huge thing here - they're struggling to give it away and have to keep lowering the age requirement because of some overzealous reporting.

I don't think so. They're still giving it out and people are taking it.
I'm feeling normal so far.

Cuellar

Yeah I think people are just taking what they're given. That being said, as a 30-39 if they offer me AZ or Pfizer, say, it's Pfizer every time for me.

Ferris

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 09, 2021, 08:26:04 PM
I don't think so. They're still giving it out and people are taking it.
I'm feeling normal so far.

Seems eminently sensible to me. I'd take whatever they'll give me at this point.

The Bumlord

Had my first AZ on Friday. The next 24 hours were an absolute misery of shivering, puking and sweating but I'm fine now!

*dies*

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I did notice with the AZ jab that they made a big deal of the fact that there was a little bit of blood coming out (which usually happens when I get stabbed with sharp objects), presumably because of the clotting thing. It was literally just a tiny little pinhead of blood on my arm, and the nurse insisted on holding a cotton pad on it for about 2 minutes, which quickly became a bit awkward when I just wanted her to put a plaster on it so I could piss off.

earl_sleek

Had my 2nd AZ jab last Wednesday - no side effects at all, just like the first. I'm the best at being vaccinated!

jobotic

That means your immune system doesn't work.

Best start writing a will.

El Unicornio, mang

Got mine booked for Friday, looking forward to a weekend of misery...

My friend in Minnesota sent this. Imagine the queues if they did this over here?