Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:59:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who's Been Jabbed With The Vax?

Started by Dr Rock, January 09, 2021, 06:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

My parents in the UK got all Pfizer'd up yesterday. Nice one, nice one.

Meanwhile, Nova Scotia has managed to dish out *checks figures* 15k doses total, and the government just diverted half of our next shipment north. Cheers for that lads. Grand job.

NoSleep

First jab yesterday (Oxford-AstraZeneca). Arm feels a little bruised today and I feel (ever so) slightly feverish today, as is expected, according to the literature.

Billy

My grandma (80), aunt (54), mum (53) and girlfriend (25) so far, the latter three all care workers in some form. Sadly being under 50 and healthy-ish means I'm probably near the bottom of the list but hopefully I won't feel left out for too long.

Lots of extreme anti-vaxxers in my friend and family groups, I'd really rather have it though so I can do things like travel again when that becomes less impossible. I love the idea of places like Prague being devoid of the usual tourist scrum for a while at least.

Ferris

To drop my veil of unabashed cynicism for a minute, it's really nice to see a stream of people in the UK getting chivved up with vaccine. The last year has felt fucking shit, and seeing a functioning immunization rollout is really heartening (even with all the potential issues around second doses etc etc chiz chiz chiz).

If they're vaccinating CaBbers they must be really at the dregs end of the schedule. Grand stuff.

Ok carry on, cheers.

Zetetic

Quote from: purlieu on February 15, 2021, 01:11:39 AM
means she's not currently registered with a GP...
I know you already know this, but it's worth fixing this for a whole bunch of reasons.

olliebean

My under-50 housemate has volunteered as a steward at a vaccination centre on Wednesday, which apparently means she'll get the jab herself at the end of the day. You need a DBS check to do that, though, which takes a few weeks and you have to pay for it (she already had one as she works in a school).

sirhenry

Because I'm vulnerable (one and a bit working lungs, other respiratory problems, blood-clotting problems, over 60 and so on), I'm getting jabbed on Friday.

It does really worry me to think that there are 15 million people in the country who are even sicker than me - a quarter of the population of the country who can't climb two flights of stairs without having to stop for a breather.

Norton Canes

Mrs C has her vax appointment at 5pm today, though she's not sure why she's been selected this early - she's BAME but they're not prioritising BAME groups, are they? She works in student mental health and did a few days late last year as emergency support on campus so we're presuming she's registered as a front-line worker.

non capisco

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 16, 2021, 04:09:46 PM
Mrs C has her vax appointment at 5pm today, though she's not sure why she's been selected this early - she's BAME but they're not prioritising BAME groups, are they? She works in student mental health and did a few days late last year as emergency support on campus so we're presuming she's registered as a front-line worker.

Yep, that'll be it I think. A mate of mine got the jab early because she works for a charity providing trauma recovery support for children.

Kelvin

Getting mine on Thursday. Feel a bit guilty about it, as I'm only mid 30's, and healthy (in so much as a middle aged man who has spent 12 months indoors can ever be "healthy").

I don't even know why I've been selected so early, but it has to be because of my epilepsy (controlled by tablets, haven't had a fit in years). Slight imposter syndrome about it, I guess. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Kelvin

Realistically, no. But it did feel weird telling my mum, when she's much higher risk, has been ultra-cautious, and hadn't even got hers booked at the point that mine first came through (she has now). Same with a friend who I've been calling a lot recently, as she's been so depressed an isolated, and get really upset when they first started talking about vaccinations being done by August, as that felt so far away. Now I've got one booked and she hasn't. I appreciate they have to categorise people somehow, it's not arbitrary. But it does feel a bit odd knowing I'll be vaccinated before people who are in far greater need of it, and who are struggling far more.   

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kelvin on February 23, 2021, 08:19:28 PM
Getting mine on Thursday. Feel a bit guilty about it, as I'm only mid 30's, and healthy (in so much as a middle aged man who has spent 12 months indoors can ever be "healthy").

I don't even know why I've been selected so early, but it has to be because of my epilepsy (controlled by tablets, haven't had a fit in years). Slight imposter syndrome about it, I guess.

Great. No peep from my GP yet. If my employer (the government) think I'm not a citizen, then perhaps the GP still thinks I'm in Canada.

earl_sleek

I had the AstraZeneca one last week - I'm eligible via being a frontline social care worker. A few colleagues had really bad reactions, including one who's temperature got so high she started hallucinating, but apart from a slightly sore shoulder I've been fine.

Both my parents had their first jabs several weeks ago - they're both in the 70s and have underlying health conditions, particularly my dad - and neither of them seem to have had adverse reactions either.

Bazooka

Drive a combine harvester into a nursing home whilst your at it!

jobotic

You should only feel guilty for saying mid-thirties is middle-aged ha ha!

Pranet

Yes. Mid thirties is "still a young man". You need somewhere to go post 40. Believe me I know.

Kelvin

Quote from: jobotic on February 23, 2021, 10:26:24 PM
You should only feel guilty for saying mid-thirties is middle-aged ha ha!

When I was a boy I thought thirty was when you basically became old and irrelevant, and I swore to myself that I would always remember how a young man saw someone that age when I reached it.

I shall not break that vow.

Chedney Honks

Rather it goes to you than some cruise cunt mate. Hope you don't turn into a gelatinous puddle.

The Dog

Quote from: Zetetic on February 15, 2021, 06:31:09 PM
I know you already know this, but it's worth fixing this for a whole bunch of reasons.

Don't really know what registering with a GP means. Certainly don't know if I am registered or how to go about that. Will I get the vaccine if I'm not registered? Government seems to know about me when they want money, but then I tried to vote once and they'd miraculously lost my details or something. Gave up after that. 

NoSleep

It will be via your registration with a GP that you will be contacted; I get IM's from my local surgery reminding me to make appointments, etc, including the vaccine program.

NoSleep

You can now tell them how quickly they will go for the vaccine after they have been notified to make the appointment, so not to worry that they have yet to be informed. The short notice is probably about delivering the vaccine while it is fresh.

mippy

Had AZ on Saturday - condition that puts me in Group 6 but is mostly controlled by medication. I was conspicuously younger than everyone else in the queue.

My in-laws in their 70s only had theirs a couple of weeks before, so yeah, feel a bit guilty.

Kelvin

peanutbutter

Got the text this morning, was all booked up but I guess it'll be within the next few days. Have a track record of issues with my breathing so it seems fair enough really but I was initially surprised.

There was actually an appointment I could've taken this afternoon but it only appeared an hour beforehand.

pigamus

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 23, 2021, 08:34:29 PM
Great. No peep from my GP yet. If my employer (the government) think I'm not a citizen, then perhaps the GP still thinks I'm in Canada.

Might be worth trying to book via the NHS website, see if it lets you – I've only just had my letter this week - appointment's tomorrow

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pigamus on February 25, 2021, 09:32:08 PM
Might be worth trying to book via the NHS website, see if it lets you – I've only just had my letter this week - appointment's tomorrow

I did that a few weeks ago (when this was announced), will try again. Mum got a government letter and nothing from GP.

edit: You are not currently eligible to book through this service

hmmmm - is it staggered or based on regional stocks?

pigamus

Dunno -  I mean we're both diabetic so you should be on the list

peanutbutter

Got it this morning, Pfizer. Was all very quick and efficiently handled. Really can't compute why people like me are put ahead of teachers with the school plans though. They'd easily get every teacher done. Got a 90 year old relative in Ireland who hasn't heard a word yet.

Everything there suggested the second dose will be in "around 12 weeks", which half has me expecting a 14-15 week wait.

On the basis  of anecdotal info it seems like London was possibly oversupplied for younger people with pre-existing conditions. Seems like the severity of the conditions wasn't accounted into it at all?

Cursus

Had my first jab this afternoon (AstraZeneca). Was given a date in May for the follow up.