Author Topic: SAD BANGERS  (Read 4574 times)

chveik

• OPEN THE PUBS BOYS

phes

• operating as a shape
Re: SAD BANGERS
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2021, 08:02:43 PM »
It's a song I once hated, as it was released just as I was getting into "proper" music (that awful era some of us go through where guitar music is the only music that matters)

Music was very tribal when I was at school/college in the nineties and one of my friends two favorite artists were Pearl Jam and Haddoway, and he had posters of both on his walls. This was dumbfounding to me as I was still a year or two off from not being a total wanker. I put it down to him having grown up in Australia.

Glad to see this thread bumped

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2021, 08:45:02 PM »
Alice DeeJay - Better Off Alone

Toca's Miracle. Did the much needed miracle ever come?

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2021, 09:43:50 PM »
Was just listening to Driver's License by Olivia Rodriguez and wanted to tell someone what a banger it is, pleased to see this thread. The lyrics are so daft and teenage

Alexa recommended it to me initially and I thought it was some esoteric shit based on my unique tastes, but then I later saw it was number one in the charts and all the grannies were loving it too

edit: does not fit the definition of a banger in the op

Catalogue of ills

• Yeeaah, that's right!
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2021, 10:11:02 AM »
Blacklight Sleaze by Peace Division

Sonically, it's a pitch-dark banger. Lyrically, it's not just sad it's bleak. Hard to imagine this being played in a club without everyone leaving the dancefloor, getting their coats, and going home for a good think. It's a great track.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2021, 10:48:01 AM »
Sophie Ellis Bextor went for a nice night out, but sadly there was a murder. Right there on the dancefloor

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2021, 06:33:53 PM »
Music was very tribal when I was at school/college in the nineties and one of my friends two favorite artists were Pearl Jam and Haddoway, and he had posters of both on his walls. This was dumbfounding to me as I was still a year or two off from not being a total wanker. I put it down to him having grown up in Australia.

Glad to see this thread bumped

Wish I'd been as cool as that friend of yours. I somehow got it into my head from the age of 14-16 that it was impossible to like music as "diversely different" as rock and chart friendly dance pop. Then along came Firestarter-era Prodigy and Chemical Brothers and I realised that dance music could be just as rocking as proper guitar music.

Was just listening to Driver's License by Olivia Rodriguez and wanted to tell someone what a banger it is, pleased to see this thread. The lyrics are so daft and teenage

Alexa recommended it to me initially and I thought it was some esoteric shit based on my unique tastes, but then I later saw it was number one in the charts and all the grannies were loving it too

I really like Driver's Licence. It may not fit the banging remit of this thread but it's a gorgeous pop song and Olivia seems like a sweet and inspiring pop star.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2021, 06:46:30 PM »

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2021, 06:58:14 PM »
I really like Driver's Licence. It may not fit the banging remit of this thread but it's a gorgeous pop song and Olivia seems like a sweet and inspiring pop star.

Just bizarre that anyone 17-years-old could release something like that, although wikipedia says she had a little help. I remember my dad insisting that anyone under the age of 18 could not experience the emotion 'romantic love', and you'd think he had a point if it wasn't for people like Olivia.

What's even more bizarre to me is that Billie Eilish wrote songs like Bellyache when she was just 15 and with the help of her 19-year-old brother.

“[“Bellyache” is] flat-out a song about murder. We have a bunch of songs like that: crazy stories about these fictional [situations]. We like to write about stuff we’re going through and things that people relate to, but it’s also really fun to put on a character and act a certain way. That character [in the song] isn’t me—but it also is. The song is really about doing terrible things and not really knowing [why]. We have this whole idea about it—like, you’re doing these terrible things and then you’re like, “Wait, what am I doing? Why did I just do that? Where is my mind? Maybe it’s in the gutter!“

For a Billie Eilish song that fits the remit of this thread, Bury a Friend, which references suicidal ideation repeatedly and is about

literally from the perspective of the monster under my bed. If you put yourself in that mindset, what is this creature doing or feeling? . . . I’m this monster, because I’m my own worst enemy.

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2021, 07:08:51 PM »
All Of My Heart by ABC. 'You'll be disappointed and I'll lose a friend..'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfph3043yZU

'Oh Yeah' by Roxy Music. Sublime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGftnl0KtUY

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2021, 05:01:35 PM »
Not Over Yet by Grace is surprisingly bleak for how upbeat and lyrically sparse it is.

Norton Canes

• Pick up the pace with your cracked-out face
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2021, 05:50:07 PM »
The very Platonic Ideal of a sad banger: Ultramarine - Crying My Heart Out

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 06:27:51 PM by Norton Canes »

Norton Canes

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2021, 06:05:46 PM »
And while we're at it, this thread is nothing without some Susanne Sundfør: Fade Away

Norton Canes

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2021, 06:20:51 PM »
Oh yeah, and Eurovision wants a slice: City Lights (Ha, just noticed it came out on PIAS)

Norton Canes

« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2021, 06:27:28 PM »
This is more of an out and out synth banger full stop, but I'd have a tear-stained lurch around to it on an empty dancefloor: Le Corps Mince de Françoise - Hard Smile

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 06:54:42 PM by Norton Canes »

Norton Canes

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2021, 06:31:07 PM »
FFS NYPC - Lost a Girl

Norton Canes

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2021, 06:32:11 PM »
Told you I had a few of these

Norton Canes

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2021, 06:36:31 PM »
The exquisitely melancholy Twin Shadow - When We're Dancing

Norton Canes

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2021, 06:38:41 PM »
Sad 9/10, banger 11/10: Music Go Music - I Walk Alone

Norton Canes

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2021, 06:42:07 PM »
Haven't even got started on Lykke Li yet, I mean basically take your pick there

Norton Canes

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2021, 06:51:41 PM »
One more. Let's finish with something a bit more upbeat.

Actually, fuck that. Empress Of - Trust Me

chveik

• OPEN THE PUBS BOYS
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2021, 03:42:29 AM »

Cuellar

• I'm over here
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2021, 07:29:35 PM »
Is It Cold In The Water - SOPHIE

Especially melancholic now.

Tags: