Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jet Li

Started by Chedney Honks, January 11, 2021, 09:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Watched Once Upon A Time In China tonight, absolutely excellent film and Jet Li was really charismatic and heroic. He's pretty sincere but quite warm. Not much humour but a rock solid moral core of Chineseness. I loved the Chinese nationalism. I always enjoy racism against white people, don't know why, probably privilege because of a lack of threat. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into the rest of the trilogy. Another beautiful Eureka boxset, comes with a whole fourth film as an extra!

What other Jet Li films should I check out, though? Does it get better than these? My best mate in Oz said the Legend series is also beast. Anyone seen any of them? I'll defo check them out, he first switched me onto Jackie Chan and various HK shit fifteen years ago.

chveik

Hero - great wuxia (particularly the use of colours)
Swordsman II - another wuxia, you probably need to watch the first one though (or just read a summary)
Fist of Legend and Tai-chi Master for classic kung-fu stuff

I'm not sure any of these are better than tthe Once Upon a Time in China trilogy (well the first two) but they're entertaining action films nonetheless.

Chedney Honks

Cheers, dude. You really know your stuff with Asian cinema so I'll have a look at them all. I've heard of Hero because I think it was big around when I was out that way. Definitely saw it all the time in the DVD stores, just never picked it up.

Love a bit of Jet, and that OUATIC boxset is aces, three films directed by Tsui Hark and one by Sammo Hung, absolute martial arts bliss. There's no fixed core canon of Jet films and everyone has their favourites/discoveries as more and more Hong Kong cinema from that fertile period is sifted through as time goes by, but for my money the best stuff is Martial Arts of Shaolin, the Once Upon a Time in China series, Swordsman II, Tai Chi Master, Fong Sai-yuk (The Legend), Fist of Legend, and of course, Hero, not only a great wuxia film but also one of the best and most beautiful films ever made.

bgmnts

Hitman is my favourite Jet Li film.

Its a comedy action thriller with bits of melodrama thrown in. Some ace kung fu choreography as well. One of the villains is a big white bastard who has lasers on finger rings and tips of his shoes and he blinds Jet Li with them. Its brill.

greenman

Fearless does cover quite similar ground to the Once Upon A Time In China films, not quite as artfully with more melodrama but the fight scenes are very well done.

For Hark rather than Li I'v always felt The Blade was a bit of a forgotten masterpeice, its kind of an anti wuxia I spose as whilst being somewhat fantastical its not at all graceful, I wonder if that will finally see an updated release?

Mr_Simnock

Is it true Jet Li has a fear of flying?