Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Free school meal parcels containing barely any food

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 12, 2021, 12:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Badger

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 14, 2021, 01:12:48 PM
I think all that was a bit grim. It's since come out that the anti-Corbyn comment was made when she suffering from particularly bad mental health and she subsequently messaged him and apologised (which she really didn't need to do). I think she's a good person and people's anger or irritation would be better directed at someone who is a cunt.

She isn't though, she's an absolutely shameless con artist and people are starting to get fed up with her profiteering on human misery. And that apology was so obviously sent yesterday. She has made lots of anti-Corbyn comments over the years, including a celebratory tweet in Hebrew when he got suspended the other month. Given the number of dogpiles her followers have gleefully instigated, it's quite amusing to see her getting it from both Corbynites and Corbyn-haters.

I notice the government have ordered schools not to provide assistance during half-term. They just can't help it can they?

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 14, 2021, 01:36:34 PM
I notice the government have ordered schools not to provide assistance during half-term. They just can't help it can they?

You can see why they thought Cummings was such an indispensable genius. The fuckers can barely function. Actual drooling morons. How easy and obvious a PR win could there be than to pre-emptively announce they'd keep funding meals through the holiday? To get rid of an obvious attack line and remove another distraction for very little expenditure?

You can't even put it down to mendacious cruelty at this point. It's genuine stupidity.

Non Stop Dancer

Matt Hancock must have left his own body during that interview. Imagine the psychological gymnastics involved in avoiding answering the question, but also knowing that that there was simply no reasonable response he could give that wouldn't hurt him and the government. Knowing that everyone knows.

jobotic

Didn;t they do all this when Cummings was there?

They just continue with his "do whatever you want, never apologise they're not even people" attitude.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 14, 2021, 01:36:34 PM
She isn't though, she's an absolutely shameless con artist and people are starting to get fed up with her profiteering on human misery.

How is she?

Fambo Number Mive

I suspect if the government had announced they would continue free school meals over half term it would alienate the dog-in-the-manger section of society who enjoy seeing others finically suffer, who probably make up a large amount of those who still support this arse of a government.

JaDanketies

yknow what if the free school meals thing is just an excuse for a private company to steal millions of our tax money while sticking a middle finger up at poor children, perhaps it's not all bad that it stops over half-term.

Harry Badger

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 14, 2021, 03:50:20 PM
How is she?

The short answer is that her image as a poverty-striken single mother is completely false but one she is happy to play up to in order to rake in money from unsuspecting punters. She appears to have had a brief period of poverty about a decade ago, and by god has she milked it for her own ends. The more you scratch the surface with her, the more you realise that very few of her claims actually stand up.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 14, 2021, 03:50:20 PM
How is she?

If you have nothing to do for the rest of your life they're up to megathread #133 over on Tattle, puts our Glinner thread to shame.

bgmnts

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 14, 2021, 04:56:53 PM
yknow what if the free school meals thing is just an excuse for a private company to steal millions of our tax money while sticking a middle finger up at poor children, perhaps it's not all bad that it stops over half-term.

I mean that was always going to be the case wasn't it? Maybe Rushford and Oliver can use some of their millions to set up their own organisation or something.

Zetetic

No Barnett consequentials for those bits of the UK that have made some effort (even if still inadequate) to feed children.

Wales has extended FSM for all holidays until Easter 2021, for context.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on January 14, 2021, 02:24:22 PM
You can't even put it down to mendacious cruelty at this point. It's genuine stupidity.

No, it's mendacious cruelty. They really don't give a fuck what the public think now. I think the times when they appeared to care about public opinion were just blips.

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on January 14, 2021, 03:04:57 PM
Matt Hancock must have left his own body during that interview. Imagine the psychological gymnastics involved in avoiding answering the question, but also knowing that that there was simply no reasonable response he could give that wouldn't hurt him and the government. Knowing that everyone knows.

The mental 'gymnastics':

'This is a bit awks! Better think of something fast.'
'Oh, that's right. Silly me. I don't give a flying fuck what the lower orders think. Just say some shit.'

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 14, 2021, 05:18:03 PM
If you have nothing to do for the rest of your life they're up to megathread #133 over on Tattle, puts our Glinner thread to shame.

What a bunch of nasty cunts.

Johnny Yesno

Leeds council have done much better on less money. It's all bad that kids will go hungry over half term.

Chedney Honks

Too personal

Let's just say I got this covered

🙂🙂🙂

earl_sleek

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 14, 2021, 08:27:53 PM
What a bunch of nasty cunts.

Tattle is an absolute shithole of reactionary, small-minded cunts. If Monroe is that unpopular on there then she's gone up in my estimation.

Cuellar

Never knew about tattle, wish I still didn't. Awful people.

jobotic

Monroe in the Guardian today. Seems free of Corbyn bashing.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/16/jack-monroe-on-food-poverty-and-fury-i-just-wake-up-look-at-the-news-and-get-angry

Quote"I'll still never forget one parliamentary committee meeting. I'd been asked to talk about my experiences as a single mum in poverty. I was sitting directly behind Iain Duncan Smith. And I stood up, and I was shaking, and I'd put a nice blouse on to make them take me seriously. While I was speaking, I cried, I was so ashamed and embarrassed to be in this fancy building talking about using socks as sanitary towels. When I went back to my seat, I was shaking and still crying. Iain Duncan Smith said something to the person next to him, and they both laughed so hard. His shoulders were shaking with laughter. I had to leave, I felt humiliated. None of this is even new. The architects of these cruel policies have proven time and again to be immune to the everyday suffering of people they consider to be at the bottom of the pile."

Harry Badger

Why aren't they interviewing someone who is actually affected by this shitshow? What about that @Roadsidemum who produced the original photo that sparked the outrage in the first place and who got Chartwells to back down and cough up money? I suppose that would mean giving the genuinely disposessed (she is from the travelling community) a voice and we can't be having that, can we? Especially not at The Guardian.

I was pleased to see Roadsidemum auctioning the can of beans on ebay. It had got up to £120 last time I looked.

JamesTC

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 16, 2021, 01:04:15 PM
I was pleased to see Roadsidemum auctioning the can of beans on ebay. It had got up to £120 last time I looked.

No wonder they could only afford a third of a carrot if beans cost that much.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I still can't get over the utter meanness of this. Imagine cutting an onion into quarters and putting a quarter into four food parcels. How much does a net bag of onions cost. You're telling me they can't buy the food for pennies from the same wholesalers that supply supermarkets. Good Christ.

bgmnts

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 17, 2021, 05:55:16 PM
I still can't get over the utter meanness of this. Imagine cutting an onion into quarters and putting a quarter into four food parcels. How much does a net bag of onions cost. You're telling me they can't buy the food for pennies from the same wholesalers that supply supermarkets. Good Christ.

Its actually an ingenious tactic because the govt can turn right round and say "well if it's so cheap why don't the parents buy it?".

Ingenious in its cynical nature.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: bgmnts on January 17, 2021, 05:56:46 PM
Its actually an ingenious tactic because the govt can turn right round and say "well if it's so cheap why don't the parents buy it?".

Ingenious in its cynical nature.
But cutting up an onion though. Cutting it. Up. Like not even taking a net bag of onions and putting one onion into each food parcel. The money sacks of tuna - maybe, maybe somebody fucked up and ordered big catering buckets of tuna by mistake and they went "ah sure it'll be grand, we'll divvy it up into little bags". But - CUTTING AN ONION. What. The fuck.

buttgammon

Considering someone has to cut the onion in the first place, it may even be more expensive to do it that way when you factor in the (inevitably low) wages they'd get.

bgmnts

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 17, 2021, 08:21:37 PM
But cutting up an onion though. Cutting it. Up. Like not even taking a net bag of onions and putting one onion into each food parcel. The money sacks of tuna - maybe, maybe somebody fucked up and ordered big catering buckets of tuna by mistake and they went "ah sure it'll be grand, we'll divvy it up into little bags". But - CUTTING AN ONION. What. The fuck.

I hope it at least employed someone. Someone's job for the day was to chop up hungry kid onions.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on January 14, 2021, 02:24:22 PM
You can see why they thought Cummings was such an indispensable genius. The fuckers can barely function. Actual drooling morons. How easy and obvious a PR win could there be than to pre-emptively announce they'd keep funding meals through the holiday? To get rid of an obvious attack line and remove another distraction for very little expenditure?

It's tactical cruelty from their ideology. They don't believe the poor deserve anything so they get the bare minimum. Even less than they budget for so the cronies get a taste. And they need the poor to be really suffering so the working poor, working class and middle class will look at the food bank people and the homeless and be scared shitless about ending up like them. So they'll keep clocking in for their masters. The fear motive. It's about pushing people down rather than pulling them up.

Which the electorate must be happy enough with as they keep voting these Bullingdon yahoos in. 29 years of Tory rule in the last 42. 69% of the time the Tories win. Or 100% over the last decade.

Maybe the electorate are just not very nice people.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 17, 2021, 08:21:37 PM

I mentioned this to my mum, who immediately suggested it was faked. I asked her why would someone fake something as ludicrously cruel as that?