Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Free school meal parcels containing barely any food

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 12, 2021, 12:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 12, 2021, 02:53:20 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure. I have a bad feeling enough people can ignore it with a "scroungers wanting something for nothing!" sneer and move on to quite happily vote Tory next time out.
Ehhhhhhh it depends though. How many people who were working till the pandemic fucked them are relying on these free school meals now? After ten months of a global pandemic, this is a really bad time to try and fuck over the unemployed. Much harder to characterise unemployed folk as work-shy scroungers if most of the electorate know someone who was working this time last year and would still be working if not for COVID.

EDIT: also, just give people money. Just give them money and fucking trust them. There are plenty of houses where parents work and spend most of their cash on booze and fags and scratchies but we never investigate that because they "earned" their money. Stop micromanaging people who don't work.

imitationleather

I wish I had tuna but instead my coinbags are full of useless money. :(

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

oh god I'm looking more closely at the pictures in the Metro article on the previous page and the food all divvied up like

all that's been fucking handled by a stranger

in a pandemic

IN A PANDEMIC

why can't they put an entire sealed packet of shop-bought cheese oh because that'd give away how much it was, wouldn't it

GMTV

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 12, 2021, 05:56:43 PM
Two carrots and a tomato. 

Fucking hell mate.

Half a green pepper in one of the boxes. I can't imagine how it must feel to open up one of those boxes when you have a family to feed.

Pranet

An awful lot of people would prefer that £30 is spent on punishing poor people than on feeding poor people's kids, so this will seem like a bargain to them.

JamesTC

Quote from: Twit 2 on January 12, 2021, 05:43:32 PM
Some schools are saying that some social workers are reporting parents exchanging vouchers for drugs/alcohol/cigs. This is anecdotally, I'd be interested in articles on this or stats/data on the extent to which this is actually happening in proportion to the total number of families claiming.

Scenario 1 - A small percentage of families misuse vouchers. A large percentage of families receive much needed support to stop children falling into poverty.

Scenario 2 - Private companies siphon money meant to fund stopping child poverty. All families receive inadequate support which keeps children in poverty.

I fucking hate this cunting Scenario 2 country.

Dog Botherer

genuinely astounded at that. our lad gets more than that for 5 days and we're in the fucking midwest USA where the government might as well not exist.

Fucking hell mate.

Meant to be a carrot and two tomatoes, AM I RIGHT, LADS?

Pink Gregory

Literally a tin of vim with an apple on top.  Should do for 3 days.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 12, 2021, 05:48:09 PM
Jack Monroe is a massive grifter and pathological liar who I suspect has some sort of narcissistic personality disorder. I realise that a lot of people admire her because of her bankrupting the egregious Katie Hopkins and because, at a glance, she appears to be a doughty campaigner for social justice but she is seriously bad news. She has also spent months perpetuating the dangerous and false Tory myth that you can feed a family on £20 a week - though she recently deleted all her tweets (not for the first time) so this may not be obvious. Naturally she has been all over the media today, piggybacking onto the work of others.

Rashford is an absolute mensch.

From what I can remember the media turned on Monroe around the time she went from doing 10p recipes to asking why they were necessary.

lipsink

JamesTC

Fucking hell mate.

The sad thing is that is one of the more generous ones.

One of them includes one third of a carrot.

EDIT - And half a tomato.

jfjnpxmy

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 12, 2021, 05:48:09 PM
Jack Monroe is a massive grifter and pathological liar who I suspect has some sort of narcissistic personality disorder. I realise that a lot of people admire her because of her bankrupting the egregious Katie Hopkins and because, at a glance, she appears to be a doughty campaigner for social justice but she is seriously bad news. She has also spent months perpetuating the dangerous and false Tory myth that you can feed a family on £20 a week - though she recently deleted all her tweets (not for the first time) so this may not be obvious. Naturally she has been all over the media today, piggybacking onto the work of others.

Yeah, my heart sank when I saw her popping up on the fringes of this. She's making good points and generating a fair amount of noise, which is good, but the woman herself is such a tangled ball of Problematic Arseholery and bullshitting that it gives the Tories and their cohort an easy attack vector.

I mean, not that they need one. They'll just have fatboy ride his bike or something. But still.

Sebastian Cobb

What 'problematic arseholery' and bullshitting? I've seen her go a bit mad and react extremely poorly to stuff on social media often with cyclical 'I'm leaving' posts only to return to promote stuff, and making some choices that were quite likely to backfire (like that cat) only for her to go a bit mad when it inevitably happens, but no actual gift with respect to her anti-austerity or food stances.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 12, 2021, 07:45:29 PM
What 'problematic arseholery' and bullshitting? I've seen her go a bit mad and react extremely poorly to stuff on social media often with cyclical 'I'm leaving' posts only to return to promote stuff, and making some choices that were quite likely to backfire (like that cat) only for her to go a bit mad when it inevitably happens, but no actual gift with respect to her anti-austerity or food stances.

In short, she pretends to be a working class lass on the brink of destitution when she is in fact extremely financially comfortable and from a middle class professional family. This rakes in a lot of money from sympathetic followers via Patreon and Kickstarter who never get what they pay for.

Earlier today she was raging that she hadn't been contacted by the media about this school dinner fiasco because her only concern about this is making money for her. Oh, and she was extremely rude to Marcus Rashford, angrily tweeting him using what I can only describe as 'African American slang'. She's an absolute cunt.

Zetetic

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 12, 2021, 07:55:40 PM
Oh, and she was extremely rude to Marcus Rashford, angrily tweeting him using what I can only describe as 'African American slang'. She's an absolute cunt.

Since deleted then:
https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3Abootstrapcook%20to%3Amarcusrashford&src=typed_query

Edit: This post isn't meant to be implying or claiming anything other than showing what is now found on a Twitter search, and it fear it might come across like it is. I can only promise otherwise.

Harry Badger

Not surprised. It was to do with the company in question having previously had some sort of collaboration with Rashford  and was something along the lines of "y'all might wanna tell them to get yo name outta they mouth cos this ain't it". Fucking cringe.

EDIT - that's OK. She deletes her worst stuff and usually does a complete purge every few months once the contradictions start adding up. Her most recent one was having 'long covid' while simultaneously wandering around looking for a chippy and chatting to her family in the supermarket.

Zetetic

Less people are buying pre-prepared sandwiches, why not get the factories who make them for supermarkets, newsagents and the like, to supply schools? You'd save factory jobs and get decent lunches to kids.

Chedney Honks

These cunts need taking down. Get the fuck out of government you fucking pieces of shit.

idunnosomename

Quote from: JamesTC on January 12, 2021, 07:27:00 PM

it's the bank coin bags - the wallets of dirty old men - that get me

Zetetic

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 12, 2021, 08:29:31 PM
I remember the free school breakfasts thing that Rhodri brought in years ago. Is that still running?
In primary schools? Yes.

Not unrelated, a petition to extend Free School Meals provision:
https://petitions.senedd.wales/petitions/244449

(They've not really pushed it yet, so small numbers don't mean much - hopefully.)

lipsink

Would love to see a shot of what Boris Johnson eats for a week.

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 12, 2021, 08:33:06 PM
it's the bank coin bags - the wallets of dirty old men - that get me

I just have this images of old men down the bookies with a fag in one hand putting these school meals together between the horse races.

Harry Badger

Quote from: lipsink on January 12, 2021, 08:49:59 PM
Would love to see a shot of what Boris Johnson eats for a week.

Bet he doesn't skimp on the pate.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The pictures are some of the most disgusting shit I've seen from the Tories, maybe not to the scale of driving the disabled and mentally ill to suicide over benefits, but the visual evidence of the regard ordinary people are held in, both by the Tories and by the morality-void profiteering scum they outsource the work to.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 12, 2021, 07:55:40 PM
Oh, and she was extremely rude to Marcus Rashford

Fuck her then. Anyone who even looks sideways at Rashford can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: JamesTC on January 12, 2021, 07:27:00 PM

That's a pisstake, isn't it? It looks like the ingredients for one half decent meal on Ready Steady Cook, provided you have herbs and spices in the press.