Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Free school meal parcels containing barely any food

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 12, 2021, 12:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Is that a quarter of a big onion? What the fuck?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

JamesTC

They should count themselves fucking lucky that they got a whole apple and potato.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Put yourself in position of waiting for this delivery to arrive, knowing its contents basically define the next 7 days of your family's existence, opening it than seeing that.

Knowing that's what they think you're worth.

Next time anyone has a go at me or you for 'intolerant left' crap, tries to reset a debate about 'standards of discourse', they're emptying tins of tuna into money bags, they're dividing up fucking ONIONS into quarters, onions that cost about 10p RRP. This is it.

jobotic

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on January 12, 2021, 12:59:05 PM
The sheer arrogance to think that they could apply their trademark cronyism to one of the most successful social justice campaigns in recent memory.

I don't want to get into hyperbole, but this really does feel like it has the potential to fatally wound this government. You can get away with overspending on PPE and IT systems because people are ignorant of how they should perform and what they should cost. You can just dismiss it as lefty whining. But people know what £23 in groceries looks like. It doesn't look like this.

I thought that about Grenfell.

It increased their support. Can barely fathom how sickening that is.

JamesTC

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 12, 2021, 09:41:09 PM

Next time anyone has a go at me or you for 'intolerant left' crap, tries to reset a debate about 'standards of discourse', they're emptying tins of tuna into money bags, they're dividing up fucking ONIONS into quarters, onions that cost about 10p RRP. This is it.

Oh here we go again, the loony left expecting private companies to just magic up onions for starving children. We don't have some magic onion tree.

Norton Canes

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There's an odd paradox here which is that the whole Tory ideology is based around harnessing individual agency and resourcefulness, both skills which in my view would be most empowered by giving people cash payments (ideally through a universal basic income).
Instead, the policy is demonetized to vouchers then to outsourced foot parcels, based on a sort of instinctive distrust that any direct cash payment could do anyone any such good (despite the mountains of evidence proving it does). One of the most shared pictures itself mentions that "I could do more with the actual £30".

So, how can an ideology based on a belief in the power of an individual also instinctively distrust individuals so much?

You have here a mutated bastardised version of free market Ayn Rand ideology, bits of which are brought up when it's convenient, but aren't actually applied in practise. The top of business and politics doesn't have the courage of its own convictions to either 1) trust people with money or 2) totally abandon them to the ideology they say they favour.

The only logical conclusion is that they don't trust individuals and the whole stuff about individual agency is just a convenient prop - they are the same sponging land-owning parasites creaming the wealth off the nation they always have been.

jobotic

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 12, 2021, 09:50:23 PM
Next Labour election poster, caption at the top, done.

"We're not sure that this is quite right"

idunnosomename

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 12, 2021, 09:12:10 PM
That's a pisstake, isn't it? It looks like the ingredients for one half decent meal on Ready Steady Cook, provided you have herbs and spices in the press.
it was a reply to marcus rashford so take whatever you will

https://twitter.com/LMT1180/status/1348751047242768387

i hate the tories but wouldn't fake something like that. maybe that's why we lose, because we don't fucking lie.

there are other photos of bits of tuna in bank change bags

Zetetic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 12, 2021, 09:50:23 PM
Next Labour election poster, caption at the top, done.

The Tories have shamed and humiliated disabled people into proving their (already documented) medical conditions for the paltry reward of receiving the minimum they require to even exist. They have asked rape victims to prove they have been raped in order to qualify for child benefit that should be an automatic entitlement.

That didn't stop the public and a shot of some food won't either, much as it makes me sick to my stomach. Most of us at some point have been in tears witnessing what they have done and what they continue to get away with, because the public keep on voting for it.

There is no depth in which poverty can fall in this country and result in an overthrow of government unless the middle class also end up in the poor house with them. As we have seen elsewhere in the world, when that happens the flash to the left is immediate. The left are the people holding the package of shit when the music stops playing, as we always are, as we always will be.

olliebean

I'd be very interested to know the sell-by dates on some of this food. There's another picture with a comment saying the bread was going off when they got it, and the bread is a sliced loaf (actually it looks like it's a few slices short) that has been removed from whatever branded bag it came in and put in a plain bag. Along with the tuna and various other things in bags that you'd expect to find in packets, I reckon they're re-packaging some of the items to hide the fact that they've paid fuck-all for a load of stuff that supermarkets were throwing out at the end of its shelf life.

lipsink

I mean, the Tories would surely know that people would take photos and the food would be all over social media. Are they just so cocky know that they know they'll basically get away with fucking anything? The last 4 years have kinda proved they can, I suppose.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's pretty clear that there is a health risk of consuming any of that tuna.

Anything that has arrived in money bags should be, in my view, mailed to the UK government/local Tory party, or, failing resources to do so, burned on principle.

Money bags. The symbolism is something I haven't seen picked up on yet. They're shitting on you. They are shitting on you mate, they are fucking shitting on you.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: lipsink on January 12, 2021, 08:49:59 PM
Would love to see a shot of what Boris Johnson eats for a week.
Oven-ready Brexit cake, duh

gib

Quote from: a friend elsewhere discussing OrwellI'm reading Down & Out because of a recommendation on this thread.  I'm up to the bit where he's commenting on the poor getting meal tickets because the rich believe they can't be trusted with money, and how this system allows the providers of food to game the system (claiming the full 6 pence for the ticket but only giving 4 pence worth of food).    The more things change, the more they remain the same.

checkoutgirl

Why can't they just give 70 or 80 quid of food stamps? They could make it so only food and non alcoholic bevvies were obtainable. Are they suggesting the reprobate parents will trade food stamps for crystal meth and turps? Would a drug dealer even be interested in food stamps? They could use a card like in America.

Those unofficial bags of stuff, paltry portions and quarters of carrots are just a dignity stripping slap in the face that demand the recipients supplicate themselves to ask for more like Oliver in the orphanage. Terrible cunts in government who have no shame.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Just give them 70 or 80 quid. This micromanaging of people's income doesn't work. You have "money" for food but that's no good to you if you have an unexpected expense like the car breaking down or the leccy bill being higher than usual. Cash is fungible, vouchers aren't.

idunnosomename

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 13, 2021, 12:07:55 AM
Why can't they just give 70 or 80 quid of food stamps? They could make it so only food and non alcoholic bevvies were obtainable. Are they suggesting the reprobate parents will trade food stamps for crystal meth and turps?
ben bradley did

Johnny Yesno

olliebean

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 12, 2021, 10:31:09 PM
It's pretty clear that there is a health risk of consuming any of that tuna.

Anything that has arrived in money bags should be, in my view, mailed to the UK government/local Tory party, or, failing resources to do so, burned on principle.

It should certainly be reported to the Food Standards Agency.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt in assuming that the money bags aren't a deliberate and explicit fuck you to poor people, but they certainly shouldn't be providing food stuffed into whatever non-food-safe bags they happened to have lying around. The fact that they can't even be bothered to spend a pittance of the £30 on a few hygienic food storage bags speaks volumes.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: olliebean on January 13, 2021, 08:37:13 AM
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt in assuming that the money bags aren't a deliberate and explicit fuck you to poor people, but they certainly shouldn't be providing food stuffed into whatever non-food-safe bags they happened to have lying around.

The thought process though..

"What shall we put this meagre amount of food in?"
"We have these money bags lying around"
"Yeah, that'll do. Fuck 'em"

"Are they sterile?"
"God, no, they breed like fucking rabbits."

Norton Canes

Sebastian Cobb

Good point by Mark Fisher on the hatred of 'scroungers', although it does overlook the fact a lot of people using these services are working poor.

idunnosomename

# You... can... always depend on, the hatred of scroungers #

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteEducation Secretary Gavin Williamson says a national lockdown food voucher scheme will be launched next week for children eligible for free school meals.

Answering questions from MPs on the education committee, Mr Williamson said it was important there was "local flexibility", so his department would reimburse councils for any local voucher schemes they offer as an alternative to the national scheme.

They should actually trust parents and pay money into their bank accounts rather than offer vouchers (those without bank accounts would still need vouchers). We don't pay Child Benefit in vouchers so why do it for those on free school meals?

A tiny minority of parents might not spend the money correctly but surely they'd find a way to do the same for vouchers or swap food parcels for other stuff? Why should the vast majority of parents of children on free school meals who do the right thing be penalised because of a tiny minority?

Butchers Blind