Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:27:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why are nurseries still open?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 13, 2021, 10:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I don't have children so maybe I've missed something, but surely nursery aged children will be the least likely to social distance.  We know that school aged children can spread the virus, why do we think that younger children can't?

Williamson saying the government still has no intention of closing nurseries. So maybe he'll u-turn on that in a few weeks.

EDIT - I understand why nurseries should be open to the children of those who can't work from home, but I don't see why they aren't subject to the same rules as schools and only opening for these children. Sorry for not being clear in my opening post.

Captain Z

Because key workers with young kids still need to work.

jobotic

So close them to all but key workers and vulnerable children.

Was talking to someone I know who works in a nursery. Says most of the parents are either working from home or furloughed, just sending their kids in because they can.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Captain Z on January 13, 2021, 10:59:01 AM
Because key workers with young kids still need to work.

Is the logic that nurseries can't just take key worker children because it wouldn't be financially viable for the nurseries?

Fambo Number Mive

Sorry, I should have been clearer - why aren't nurseries doing the same thing schools are doing and only opening to parents who can't work from home? Aren't nurseries open to any child currently?

Bazooka

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 13, 2021, 11:02:53 AM
Is the logic that nurseries can't just take key worker children because it wouldn't be financially viable for the nurseries?

Some nurseries have take the stance they will still charge parents even if the kids aren't there, and if they don't want to pay, then their child will lose their place.

dissolute ocelot

English nurseries were key-workers-only in April but are currently open for all kids; in Scotland it's different, with kids being sent out to roam the streets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55617159
https://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/article/scottish-nurseries-and-schools-to-stay-closed-as-scotland-enters-lockdown-at-midnight