Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:31:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pom Poko are back with more joyful noise-pop, kablammo!

Started by The Mollusk, January 13, 2021, 12:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Their first album "Birthday" was pretty well received on here when it came out in early 2019 (I think it was me who was initially singing their praises after a sponsored Instagram ad featuring the album cover grabbed my attention) during SIMPLER, HAPPIER TIMES and I was lucky to catch them live a couple of times during SOCIALER, GATHERINGER TIMES. I greatly enjoyed seeing their act tighten up from a scrappy childlike bounce at The Lexington into a more tightly-contained explosion when supporting Ezra Furman (what a gig that was!), the guitarist being a particular strong talent of wild screeching fills among their ultra-sweet pop cacophonies, and the drummer was getting nice and loose on the kit with undeniable influence from Deerhoof's Greg Saunier.

So now two years later, the sophomore record "Cheater" is due out on Friday and the two tracks released in the lead up have been fucking great! YEAH!

Bandcamp link with the song "Andrew" here

Music video for "Like a Lady" here

The above song has been getting rinsed out on the daily by Marc Riley (and with good reason, that bridge out of the chorus slams so hard!) but they're still a relatively underground band it seems. I guess this sort of music has never been mad popular but these kids are young and they look like they fucking love what they're doing so all the power to 'em!

Dirty Boy

Surprised this didn't get more comments given their ubiquitousness on 6music. This album is great, better than the first one. Poppy and wonky in equal measure.

I can't stop thinking of them as baby Deerhoof, but they're a very talented bunch of youngsters all the same.

selectivememory

Ooh. Will have to check this out. Loved their first album.

The Mollusk

They deffo are a baby Deerhoof but they have their own sweet Scandi charm which sets them enough apart. Also the world needs more bands like Deerhoof so I'm not complaining that they're so similar. Ridiculously colourful music.

non capisco

Really enjoying this. Some sticky, sticky hooks on this thing.

Another band I'd love to see live again now I'm more familiar with their stuff, saw them in a support slot not knowing a note and was instantly won over by the sheer joie de vivre of the wee scamps.