Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:06:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US Woman Gets Her Dose, of Lethal Injection

Started by Marner and Me, January 13, 2021, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marner and Me

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55642177

Long and short of it she strangled a pregnant woman then cut out and kidnapped the baby.

She was found guilty in 2007.

Sebastian Cobb

Death penalty is so wrong it's not up for debate in my opinion. However keeping people on death row for indefinite or long periods with that looming over them also strikes me as a separate form of 'cruel and unusual' punishment.

Alberon

Even more so when said person on death row has a strong chance of being mentally unbalanced.

One more crime around Trump's neck, but probably the last one he'd ever be held accountable for.

Blumf

Quote from: Marner and Me on January 13, 2021, 01:17:38 PM
Long and short of it she strangled a pregnant woman then cut out and kidnapped the baby.

Well, not really, it's a lot worse than that (unpleasant reading, skip if you don't want to be thoroughly depressed or worse)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Bobbie_Jo_Stinnett#Perpetrator
QuoteLisa Marie Montgomery (February 27, 1968 – January 13, 2021) resided in Melvern, Kansas, at the time of the murder. She was raised in an abusive home where she was allegedly raped by her stepfather for many years. She sought escape mentally by drinking alcohol. When Montgomery was 14, her mother discovered the abuse, but reacted by threatening her daughter with a gun. Montgomery tried to escape this situation by marrying at the age of 18, but both the first marriage and a second marriage resulted in further abuse.

Montgomery had four children before she underwent a tubal ligation in 1990. She falsely claimed to be pregnant several times after the procedure, according to both her first and second spouses.

I think the theoretical best that can be said for the horrible situation is that she's been put out of her misery, but I doubt any real justice has been done.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Marner and Me on January 13, 2021, 01:17:38 PM

Oh hellllllll no it's not, you want a manual on how to mentally, emotionally and physically break a human being? Read her story. As someone else here pointed out, she probably couldn't escape the hell her parents made for here even with help, it's just a fucking sad story everywhere.

CW: sick shit
Spoiler alert
The story of Lisa's life reads like the script of a horror movie. Her stepfather, Jack Kleiner, sexually assaulted her for the first time when Lisa was eleven years old. For years, he raped her repeatedly, coming into her room at night and threatening to rape her younger sister if she resisted. Lisa's mother later testified in her divorce proceedings that she witnessed at least one rape, stating, "He was in her. He was pumping her." Lisa's mother was less forthcoming about her role in terrorizing Lisa.

Lisa's mother Judy was an alcoholic whose drinking caused Lisa to be born with permanent brain damage. She beat her children, including Lisa. She punished them by putting them in cold showers or by whipping them with belts, cords or hangers. On one occasion she killed the family dog in front of Lisa and her siblings to punish them, brutally smashing its head with a shovel until it died.

Judy ultimately married six times, and had multiple partners throughout Lisa's childhood. She began prostituting Lisa to older men when Lisa was in her early teens. Lisa was anally, orally, and vaginally raped by several men, one after the other for several hours at a time. As a result of her sexual torture, Lisa began to dissociate. She developed complex post-traumatic stress disorder. She told people about the abuse—including a cousin who was a law enforcement officer—but no one intervened to help.

Lisa's grades declined, and she was eventually placed in special needs classes. She came to school dirty, in clothing that was torn and full of holes. Around this time, the family was living in an isolated trailer home with no running water. School administrators suspected abuse at Lisa's home, but failed to take steps to investigate further or report it to the police.

At her mother's instigation, Lisa became engaged to her stepbrother at age seventeen, and they married when she was eighteen. He continued the cycle of abuse, raping and beating her. She gave birth to four children. After her fourth child was born, she was pressured into an involuntary sterilization. Over the years, her mental health continued to deteriorate, and her behavior became increasingly erratic. She lived in dire poverty, and by the time she was thirty-four she had moved sixty-one times. She divorced and married again.
[close]

More shit in the graun
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/05/lisa-montgomery-death-row-execution-history

The Ombudsman

Sorry to bump the thread but wanted to add this YouTube video on the subject.

https://youtu.be/W685VNOAXAU

I find the channel quite good and appreciate the chaps sparse yet deadpan delivery.

The David Icke one was good, especially when he referred to Ickes "Lizard problem".

Edit to say I'm very much against the death penalty, even more so when the person in question is so far removed from reality. Cruel and unusual to say the least.

phes

This is one of the most depressing and upsetting things I've ever read. The mind boggles that anyone can arrive at the conclusion that this person needed to be punished

bgmnts

Quote from: phes on January 18, 2021, 01:38:11 PM
This is one of the most depressing and upsetting things I've ever read. The mind boggles that anyone can arrive at the conclusion that this person needed to be punished

To be fair, she did kill a woman and a baby. I wouldn't want to be the one to bring up these arguments to relatives or friends of the victims, or pregnant mothers. It would be a tough sell.

jobotic

The people who drover her insane are to blame for what she did. The woman she killed is another of their victims.

As I said in the Trump thread

Quote[Oh America, where people can horrifically abuse a woman from childhood with no repercussions and the abused woman herself is murdered by the President and all the other people whose job it is to kill people like her.

I'm sure Trump would spend his days picking off poor people with a rifle on the Whitehouse lawn if he could, but there are whole careers built on state murder and no one said "fuck it, I'm not doing this".

phes

Yes, it's just murdering someone to cover up how badly they have been let down.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2021, 01:48:47 PM
To be fair, she did kill a woman and a baby. I wouldn't want to be the one to bring up these arguments to relatives or friends of the victims, or pregnant mothers. It would be a tough sell.

As others have said the poor woman was severely mentally ill and a victim of despicable abuse, so in this case the act of execution is a "tough sell" to even the most conservative thinking of people.

More generally, and away from cases such as this, I'm against the death penalty and always have been, BUT it is interesting to hear the views of the relatives and friends of victims, as I have done.  I'm not going to go into detail as it's not something I particularly want to talk about, and definitely not on here (you all know what I think about CaB's very odd and creepy nonce obsession), but one of the relatives involved was always totally against the death penalty until the event happened and the perpetrator was caught and properly profiled, after which they were absolutely for it if there was no evidence of mental illness or historic abuse (which there wasn't in that case).  The person's points and arguements didn't change my opinion, but they certainly made me think more about it.

Equally, I've also heard of cases where, if anything, they've solidified the victim's relatives' opinion that the death penalty should be removed as an option.

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2021, 01:48:47 PM
amazingly the baby did not die and is now a teenager

( well the last bit isnt amazing i suppose)

Quote from: phes on January 18, 2021, 01:38:11 PM

It's even worse than the normal death penalty as punishment situation, in that the Trump administration is going on a killing spree to kill as many people as possible before January 20 when Joe Biden takes office, after which point none of these federal executions would occur. Death penalty mixed with culture wars political bullshit mixed with anti-democratic fascist death cult government.

Truly grotesque.

Paul Calf

Trump should be in The Hague. As should Johnson.

Endicott

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 18, 2021, 02:27:07 PM
Equally, I've also heard of cases where, if anything, they've solidified the victim's relatives' opinion that the death penalty should be removed as an option.

The only American I ever spoke to in depth about the death penalty was like this. I met him in Boston whilst on a visit for work. His son had been murdered, and he was campaigning for the murderer to not be executed. This was about 25 years ago, and I don't recall which state the murder happened in. Amazing man.

jobotic

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 18, 2021, 05:42:19 PM
It's even worse than the normal death penalty as punishment situation, in that the Trump administration is going on a killing spree to kill as many people as possible before January 20 when Joe Biden takes office, after which point none of these federal executions would occur. Death penalty mixed with culture wars political bullshit mixed with anti-democratic fascist death cult government.

Truly grotesque.

Being as this case is the most upsetting, the most undeserved and happened to the most horrically destroyed person probably made it Trump's favourite. Own those libs.