Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:10:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chemtrails Over The Country Club - New Lana Del Rey album

Started by Dusty Substance, January 13, 2021, 04:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Couldn't find an active thread about Lana so started a new one.

Anyone excited about the new album, set for release in March?

NFR was her best work to date and I'm stoked for COCC.

The video for the new track is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBHild0PiTE

It seems the interview she gave to Radio 1 has ruffled a few feathers and a bunch of shitty outlets have taken her comments out of context. This seems to happen to her a lot. I think a lot of people have a problem with Lana and are quick to jump on anything she has to say.

No wonder she wants to take a hiatus after the next record.

crankshaft

She's one of those artists who, despite making some great music, has gone out of her way to make herself as unappealing as possible. I don't know whether she thinks that "internet edgy" filtered through some kind of weird 60s filter is a unique selling point. Maybe it is.

Chriddof

Just looked up her comments. I can see what she was getting at, but she phrased it very badly.

sevendaughters

for someone who has released a spoken word album (that was rubbish but better than Mark E Smith's two spoken word records) I have to say I am shocked that an upcoming song title is 'Not All Who Wander Are Lost'. Immiment wine mum concept album called In This House We Do Hugs coming.

title track was same old same old.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Chriddof on January 13, 2021, 08:15:16 PM
Just looked up her comments. I can see what she was getting at, but she phrased it very badly.

One of the big problems of being a massive stoner and giving a 30 minute interview on live radio.

She re-phrased her stance later on Instagram.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 14, 2021, 12:23:23 PM
One of the big problems of being a massive stoner and giving a 30 minute interview on live radio.

She re-phrased her stance later on Instagram.

Her album cover controversy comments were shite, "my best mates are rappers"...oh dear.

Also going on about how narcissism is the main problem in society but saying about both controversies something along the lines of "leave me alone I AM THE ONE WHO IS MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD" doesn't help if you don't want people to think you're a spanner.

spaghetamine

Why would you listen to Lana Del Rey when you could listen to Weyes Blood instead? Sad!

sirhenry

Does she put the stress in the wrong place in all her songs or just this one? And if only this one, what is she trying to say with it?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: sirhenry on January 14, 2021, 07:01:38 PM
Does she put the stress in the wrong place in all her songs or just this one? And if only this one, what is she trying to say with it?

She'll do it again proper on insta later

Johnny Textface

Quote from: spaghetamine on January 14, 2021, 04:09:06 PM
Why would you listen to Lana Del Rey when you could listen to Weyes Blood instead? Sad!

Or just listen to both if you enjoy that genre of music. Why not?

Regarding all of the boring controversy, she definitely gets held to a different standard than other star musicians because of her image and aesthetic. Don't construe this as some kind of anti-"cancel culture" statement, but so much of that stuff is used online just to target figures people already dislike for entirely different reasons.

Big fan of course, and NFR is probably one of my most listened to albums of the last decade. Not really in love with the new single though (at least not yet).

spaghetamine

Quote from: Johnny Textface on January 15, 2021, 12:08:01 AM
Or just listen to both if you enjoy that genre of music. Why not?

yeah i was just being facetious for the sake of it to be honest, liked some of the tunes on NFR but i feel like i don't really "get" Lana, her whole shtick seems rather contrived

Johnny Textface

I think she tends to include too many tracks on her long players. She needs an editor. 11 tracks max please Lana.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 15, 2021, 04:21:30 AM
Regarding all of the boring controversy, she definitely gets held to a different standard than other star musicians because of her image and aesthetic.

It all seems to stem from when she stated that she isn't a feminist - https://www.nme.com/news/music/lana-del-rey-92-1233083. Never criticize the cult of feminism - They won't let you forget it.

Quote from: spaghetamine on January 15, 2021, 09:22:40 AM
yeah i was just being facetious for the sake of it to be honest, liked some of the tunes on NFR but i feel like i don't really "get" Lana, her whole shtick seems rather contrived

There is a degree of contrivance I get the impression that she's more aware of her "schtick" than most of her critics give her credit for. There's a difference between Elizabeth Grant and Lana Del Rey. 

Quote from: Johnny Textface on January 15, 2021, 02:09:04 PM
I think she tends to include too many tracks on her long players. She needs an editor. 11 tracks max please Lana.

Can't disagree with that. NFR is her only actually great record. There's amazing stuff on all of her albums but all watered down with filler. Even eleven tracks seems too much for some of those baggier records - Lust For Life, especially.

Her inevitable "Best Of" collection (surely due in the next year or two for the tenth anniversary of her debut) will be fucking amazing.

I think Ultraviolence is pretty consistently good. It's aesthetically consistent throughout (could probably argue that for all of them though), and the back half is weaker, but not such that you could say it detracts from the whole.  I'd say NFR and Ultraviolence are the most coherent records, and the best on that basis.

BTD has some great tracks, but I would argue much of it is fairly forgettable. I have a soft spot for the stylings of Honeymoon, and also think some of the 'deep cuts' are among the best of her output (Salvatore, Blackest Day, 24). The only one I can't really be fucked with is Lust For Life, and that's possibly because I've not made the effort with it.

How many great records are put out that are consistently great though? Based on my reasoning above, we're talking two pretty consistently fantastic records, and smatterings of greatness among what you could argue is filler. A record that most would be pretty proud of I think. Certainly any greatest hits would necessarily have to drop lots of truly great songs - the ten minute Venice Bitch for starters.

Not really getting much from the new one yet though - back to the topic at hand. It might be an aversion to werewolves.

Pink Gregory

Not aware of her stuff myself, but she's on the cover of Mojo this month.  I can already feel the boring rockist fleece dad piss boiling, they complained when they put Madonna on the front for fuck's sake.

holyzombiejesus

I got this as I'd heard so many great things about it. Don't think I'd heard a thing since Video Games. The first track, White Dress, is one of the most irritating songs I've ever heard. The fucking stupid squeaky voice singing about a business conference. Really fucking hate it.
It's one of the most insubstantial records I've ever heard, can't express how annoyed it makes me feel. I've played it several times now and still can't get my head round the first side and how vague it all is.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 03, 2021, 03:52:21 PM
I got this as I'd heard so many great things about it. Don't think I'd heard a thing since Video Games. The first track, White Dress, is one of the most irritating songs I've ever heard. The fucking stupid squeaky voice singing about a business conference. Really fucking hate it.
It's one of the most insubstantial records I've ever heard, can't express how annoyed it makes me feel. I've played it several times now and still can't get my head round the first side and how vague it all is.

I like White Dress. In fact, I like all the songs on the new album but I've only listened to COTCC a handful of times and don't have any desire to keep going back to it, very different to the many times I listened and re-listened to NFR.

She's got a new one out in June (Blue Banisters) so perhaps between the two albums there'll be one album's worth of decent material.

dissolute ocelot

Finding this one of her weakest. It's in the category of albums that sound consistent across all tracks, but are really boring as a result. I'm not sure NFR was quite as good as some people say (def prefer Ultraviolence) but you couldn't put it on as background music and then entirely forget about it for 90 minutes.