Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:26:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ZeroZeroZero

Started by Mobius, January 13, 2021, 10:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Apologies if a thread already existed for this show but I just watched it and thought it was fantastic. A co-venture between Sky, Canal+ and Amazon Prime featuring Gabriel Byrne, Andrea Riseborough and a bunch of great foreign lads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeroZeroZero

The series follows the troubled journey of a large shipment of cocaine from Monterrey, Mexico to Gioia Tauro, Italy. The sellers are the narcos brothers Enrique and Jacinto Leyra, who are aided in their criminal activities by Manuel Contreras and his group of corrupt soldiers; the buyer is Don Minu La Piana, a boss of the 'Ndrangheta, whose position is challenged by his grandson Stefano and the Curtiga family; the brokers in charge of the shipment are the Lynwoods, an American family from New Orleans owning a prestigious shipping company. The infighting within the 'Ndrangheta causes the shipment to be rerouted to Africa, and the delay has dramatic consequences for all the interested parties.

Beautifully shot in various countries and featuring 3 storylines that interweave (Mexican Cartel, Italian Mafia, US Shipping/logistics company) - created by the guy who did the Gomorrah TV show, based off of a book written by the guy who wrote Gomorrah. Mostly subtitled (barring the Yank characters) ... no filler, some violence and it's all very gritty and real.

Anyway highly recommended if you're at a loose end of something to watch! Got me back on the 'subtitles aren't so bad actually' train so finally going to watch Gomorrah now.

13 schoolyards

Yeah, this was probably the best new TV show I saw last year. I wasn't expecting all that much and the first episode was a bit stodgy, but every one after that just kept getting better and the final episode where it all came together was brilliant. Who knew global logistics could be so enthralling?

Bonus points for having one of the most ruthless cartel mass execution scenes I've seen, especially as it was basically just done to piss some other bad guys off.

Bazooka

Wow, thank you for this, I've stopped keeping track of any TV this year(2020), but I loved Gomorrah so will watch this.

edit:Oh you haven't seen Gomorrah, well don't fuck about, it's really great.

Mobius

Yeah I've read great things about it but as I get older I have this lazy can't be arsed with subtitles attitude which is very stupid but I'll definitely get onto it this weekend, having enjoyed ZeroZeroZero so much.

Where is this available? I'm a big Mogwai fan and really enjoyed the soundtrack, but can't seem to find this on the usual channels. I thought it had a UK embargo or something.

Mobius

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on January 15, 2021, 12:27:43 AM
Where is this available? I'm a big Mogwai fan and really enjoyed the soundtrack, but can't seem to find this on the usual channels. I thought it had a UK embargo or something.

I just torrented a really nice quality version from rarbg , and it does appear that's actually the only way to watch it in the UK which is weird.

paruses

Quote from: Mobius on January 15, 2021, 12:30:25 AM
I just torrented a really nice quality version from rarbg , and it does appear that's actually the only way to watch it in the UK which is weird.
Quote from: drummersaredeaf on January 15, 2021, 12:27:43 AM

I can see it on Amazon Prime US but not available in UK (as you say). Is it available on Amazon EU sites?

Bazooka

There is also Suburra another Italian series for those that might be interested, focuses on organised crime and political and religious corruption in a seaside town near Rome.  I watched the first series back in 2017 and just noticed there are two more to watch. First series was very good.

jobotic

Sounds good - Suburra and ZeroZeroZero - hope they come onto UK Netflix or Prime.

Just finishing the third series of El Marginal on Netflix - absolutely ridiculous but quite addictive (and pretty funny among all the unpleasantness) Argentinian prison drama.

Bazooka

Two episodes in, not gripped so far,will keep at it.

Vitalstatistix

Stunning to look at, this. Proper fucking cinematic.

Over half way through the series and there's an increasing tendency for episodes to climax with thick-as-shit, preposterous James Bond shootouts, however I don't mind too much as I do like the vibe. The post-rock helps.

First 3-4 episodes of this are absolutely fantastic. The rest is still very good but it verges into the standard TV drama thing of being distractingly implausible, whereas the series starts out fairly realistic.
Spoiler alert
The sideplot with the jihadis in particular was a bit much, and the rise of the Vampires into an organized paramilitary that has taken over most of Monterrey is a bit of a stretch considering the concurrent timeline of the show.
[close]

Hope there's a second season.

jobotic

Just remembered I've read this. Was very good.

Bazooka

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 26, 2021, 11:30:02 PM
First 3-4 episodes of this are absolutely fantastic. The rest is still very good but it verges into the standard TV drama thing of being distractingly implausible, whereas the series starts out fairly realistic.
Spoiler alert
The sideplot with the jihadis in particular was a bit much, and the rise of the Vampires into an organized paramilitary that has taken over most of Monterrey is a bit of a stretch considering the concurrent timeline of the show.
[close]

Hope there's a second season.

Yes I've just watched episode 5 and definitely, I don't want to say Jumped the Shark, but it was certainly a case of throw in this trope with this (flavour of the decade) setting we have seen time and time again.  Next stop: Tokyo and the Yakuza(this is not a spoiler)!

Bazooka

Finished it tonight, I did like it but certainly had my fill by the end. Having not read the book I can't comment on how accurate the depiction is, but I found it jumping from global scenario to the next, the next ''I'll take you hostage for a bit'' wore thin.Its far from badly made though,and too much to make a film out of it.

jobotic

The book is non-fiction, although it is about following cocaine shipments around the world in part.

jobotic

This on Sky Atlantic now.