Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

International travel and COVID

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 14, 2021, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

I should point out that I'm glibly saying "everyone", when I mean "privileged westerners like me, so it'll likely be mostly fine for me to travel to other wealthy western nations".

There will be billions of less fortunate people who will (probably) still be waiting for their jabs.

BlodwynPig

We should minimise air travel going forward. Restrict unnecessary travel where possible. Introduce green credits to motivate sustainable living.

Your* 'back to normal' rhetoric is dangerous and malignant.

*whoever says this as an objective to be met without considering the alternatives.

Ferris

Oh yeah I agree, I think the days of going to Tenerife on a whim won't be back for a long time. I meant if you want to go from western country A to western country B, the infrastructure around that will largely be the same/back to normal.

Fambo Number Mive

If we are going to reduce non-essential air travel, I think we need to make this country a nicer place to holiday in. I do wonder if we need more luggage space on trains during the holiday season to reduce the amount of motorway travel.

I think the lockdowns will make reducing air travel and motorway travel harder than ever as people have been cooped up in their local areas for so long and probably want to make up for lost time, in particular those with friends and/or family abroad. It's a shame we can't have more Channel Tunnels.

C_Larence

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 21, 2021, 03:31:19 PM
Oh yeah I agree, I think the days of going to Tenerife on a whim won't be back for a long time

People were doing that in August of last year.

Ferris

Quote from: C_Larence on February 21, 2021, 04:53:04 PM
People were doing that in August of last year.

Were they?! I'm out of touch.

Ok, I won't be doing that sort of thing, not that I did it anyway.

earl_sleek

People will have forgotten everything about the pandemic a few months after the lockdown's lifted and absolutely nothing will be learned. In fact, people that try and learn lessons from the whole sorry affair will be shunned or even imprisoned.

Pinball

Corporate lobbying and their political cronies (basically the entire government) have a lot to answer for. The borders were never closed, except by Macron for a couple of days at ports. And here we are.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 21, 2021, 03:48:17 PM
If we are going to reduce non-essential air travel, I think we need to make this country a nicer place to holiday in. I do wonder if we need more luggage space on trains during the holiday season to reduce the amount of motorway travel.

We could perhaps also change the insane policy incentives that have resulted in driving a car progressively getting cheaper while the cost of getting on a train rises above inflation every year.

And tax airline fuel at all. In some tiny way. Anything would help.