Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2021 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 14, 2021, 11:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Over the weekend I did:
Samurai Cop - amazingly shit and entertaining.

A Serious Man - Seen when I was young and it came out, I got a lot more out of it this time round as I could empathise with the guy a lot more.

The Caveman's Valentine - I enjoyed this quite a bit, it's flawed and a bit of a mess but doesn't deserve the panning on release and then to be mostly forgotten. I'm slowly working my way through Kasi Lemmons' work, which probably deserves more recognition.

Fambo Number Mive

Watched Code of Silence. Good film, Chuck Norris uses a police robot to help battle mafia types who have kidnapped the daughter of a rival mafia family.

Blumf

Nightbreed (1990) Was on the Horror Channel a few nights back.
I assume it was the botched theatrical cut (and then some for TV), as it's a bit of a mess, never really flowing properly. Characters don't seem to function properly, like the FBI agent who seems pretty nonchalant to the fact he's just found out that the undead and monsters exist. Similarly, the sheriff just shrugs and calls up a load of red-necks without much shock, just anger. And who was that drunk priest, he's just there.
But for all it's flaws, you can't hate it. Must be up there with the most monster designs for a single film, and there are some really nice ones too. It clearly has it's heart in the right place, and it's also clear a lot of the details were lost by clueless studio meddling and marketing demands (although really? By 1990, surely they'd know how to sell this. It's not that unique in it's tone or content for the era)

Maybe the TV show, if it ever gets anywhere, will do better.

Famous Mortimer

Bad Kids Go To Hell

Fooled by the trailer-maker's art. What I thought I'd be getting is a comedy horror version of "The Breakfast Club", what I got was a series of extremely convoluted plans that were all pulled off perfectly, twists on twists on twists, and none of it particularly interesting or good or well-acted or anything like that. There've been a lot of strong horror comedies in recent years, so I was perhaps expecting too much, but...it was still kinda rubbish.

JesusAndYourBush

Day Of The Locust (1975) was on Talking Pictures earlier.  I knew nothing about it in advance and didn't know what to expect as the blurb on the guide was brief and not giving away much.  When it took a dark turn near the end it caught me completely by surprise.

SteveDave

Feels Good Man

It really interesting to see how an innocent comic about a frog having a piss with his pants and trousers around his ankles became the face of the alt Right. The fellow who drew it seemed so lovely too.

I wanted some closure on the basement dweller. Like for the house above to collapse on him. Odious little cunt.

NoSleep

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 25, 2021, 10:25:57 AM
Dune (1984) - neither terrible nor exactly good, I'm sure the upcoming "reinvisionment" by Denis Villeneuve will have many of the same virtues and flaws: it looks amazing and the cast is great and the plot does eventually pick up, but compare it to Star Wars or Flash Gordon - I don't think Dune adds anything by its lack of humour (were the ginger villains meant to be funny?), perfunctory action scenes, and shortage of interesting, memorable characters (the villains are better than the heroes but even then they're hardly rounded characters; when Sting is the best thing in your movie, you've probably done something wrong).

The main problem of the film is that it's like watching a protracted "previously on Dune" as they desperately try to cram all of the book in the time they have.
Worst characterisation was Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck, because Gurney should really be played by an athletically-built Brian Blessed type, somebody who steals the scene whenever they appear (Gurney's a jolly fighting badass who's also a badass musician). In the TV mini series they managed to make an even poorer choice for Gurney; maybe the worst choice ever in any film or TV series (actually hilariously poor).

zomgmouse

Inside Man - solid, engaging... can't say it was amazing but it was really really good. Good take on the genre by leaving the
Spoiler alert
reason for the robbery/object stolen reveal
[close]
till late in the game.

The Joy of Man's Desiring - documentary by Denis Côté that is more a series of shots of workers in factories, quite hypnotic in its own way. The idea I think was to almost morph into a nature documentary, showing various artificial environments in their most natural state.

Heat. Never seen it before and luckily got to see a 35mm print in a cinema. I hated Thief so wasn't sure what to expect with this but it was fantastic, really brilliant stuff. The famous diner scene certainly lived up to its accolades. Can't say the romances were any good but basically everything else rocked.

Unknown Pleasures. Going through more Zhangke, this was another truly fantastic one. Don't think I've seen a bad film by him yet. Interesting choice of the digital aesthetic which definitely worked here. Lonely humans.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on January 26, 2021, 10:30:29 AM
The main problem of the film is that it's like watching a protracted "previously on Dune" as they desperately try to cram all of the book in the time they have.
Worst characterisation was Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck, because Gurney should really be played by an athletically-built Brian Blessed type, somebody who steals the scene whenever they appear (Gurney's a jolly fighting badass who's also a badass musician). In the TV mini series they managed to make an even poorer choice for Gurney; maybe the worst choice ever in any film or TV series (actually hilariously poor).

Should've let Jodorowsky do his 14 hour version.

NoSleep

Blumf

Ferris

Peter Rabbit with a small child as an alternative to (the excellent) Paddington films, just to keep it fresh like.

It was absolutely execrable. No charm or warmth to it[nb]one character has a heart attack and dies on screen, and his corpse lies there for a few minutes while the eponymous rabbit cracks wise, and eventually pokes him in the eye to check he is dead; cf. all the nice people being nice to everyone in Paddington-land[/nb], no good visual gags, and all very cynical. Even Ferris Jr sloped off to play with some buttons and a biscuit tin instead after about 20 minutes. After looking it up, I see it had Corden as the titular rabbit.

Ferris Sez: "warren" peace it ain't! Hopefully this one drops down a "rabbit hole" and is never heard from again[nb]it made 7x its budget at the box office ($350m) so it'll be back in some shite form or another[/nb]! 1 star.

greenman

Quote from: Blumf on January 26, 2021, 01:37:52 PM
That's a shame. What didn't work for you?

I find the reverse, Heat's well made by ultimately a bit bland for me compared to Thief.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 26, 2021, 05:30:46 PM
Peter Rabbit with a small child as an alternative to (the excellent) Paddington films, just to keep it fresh like.

It was absolutely execrable. No charm or warmth to it[nb]one character has a heart attack and dies on screen, and his corpse lies there for a few minutes while the eponymous rabbit cracks wise, and eventually pokes him in the eye to check he is dead; cf. all the nice people being nice to everyone in Paddington-land[/nb], no good visual gags, and all very cynical. Even Ferris Jr sloped off to play with some buttons and a biscuit tin instead after about 20 minutes. After looking it up, I see it had Corden as the titular rabbit.

Ferris Sez: "warren" peace it ain't! Hopefully this one drops down a "rabbit hole" and is never heard from again[nb]it made 7x its budget at the box office ($350m) so it'll be back in some shite form or another[/nb]! 1 star.

Obviously Paddingtons are infinitely better films, but I have to admit Peter Rabbit was NOWHERE near as bad as I was expecting it to be - I enjoyed Sam Neill's slightly extended cameo, Gleeson makes a pretty good fist of creeping anger and frustration (although of course his heart melts in the third act, natch) and the cockerel genuinely made me LOL.

The second one is on the way.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Blumf on January 26, 2021, 01:37:52 PM
That's a shame. What didn't work for you?

It's been many years but I think I just found it incredibly nothing.

Ferris

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 26, 2021, 07:01:30 PM

Obviously Paddingtons are infinitely better films, but I have to admit Peter Rabbit was NOWHERE near as bad as I was expecting it to be - I enjoyed Sam Neill's slightly extended cameo, Gleeson makes a pretty good fist of creeping anger and frustration (although of course his heart melts in the third act, natch) and the cockerel genuinely made me LOL.

The second one is on the way.

Might be expectations? If you went in thinking it'll be a total stinker then I can understand being pleasantly surprised when it's merely very poor. We went in off the back of a Paddington film and were very badly let down.

Blumf

Quote from: greenman on January 26, 2021, 06:22:07 PM
I find the reverse, Heat's well made by ultimately a bit bland for me compared to Thief.

Yeah, that more or less my feel for the two. Heat has a few good bits, but ultimately isn't quiet as good as it's cast should have made it.

Thief, on the other hand, does hold a compelling through line for me (I had a lot more interest in the Caan's story than either Al or Bob's) and straddles the 70's grime/80s glam eras nicely.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Blumf on January 26, 2021, 11:49:42 PM
Yeah, that more or less my feel for the two. Heat has a few good bits, but ultimately isn't quiet as good as it's cast should have made it.

Thief, on the other hand, does hold a compelling through line for me (I had a lot more interest in the Caan's story than either Al or Bob's) and straddles the 70's grime/80s glam eras nicely.

Wow yeah absolute opposite for me. Nothing much compelling in Thief whereas I was hooked all the way through Heat.

greenman

Quote from: Blumf on January 26, 2021, 11:49:42 PM

Pretty much, I think a more interesting film visually(and soundtrack wise) linking the two eras and with a more interesting central performance of a less cliched character. I do enjoy a good "men doing things" film as well and I think it sticks closer to that idea that latter Mann which becomes more dialog dependant, more of a police thriller than Caan actually doing stuff.

SteveDave

Happy Happy Joy Joy

John K is a strange man. Even leaving the noncery to one side, he comes across as a robot in this. A passionate robot but a robot nonetheless. Also, what was happening with his hair?

Shit Good Nose

I love both Heat and Thief, and if offered the to chance to watch one or the other I'd honestly be happy with either.  But I think Thief is right up there with Manhunter as Mann's masterpieces.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Manhunter is a masterpiece of pure '80s-ness, that's for sure.

Shit Good Nose

Yeah, alright Aliens bumhole.  I bet you think Blackhat or LA Takedown is his best film.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Now now. Have you forgotten our mutual disdain for Dawn of the Dead so soon?

Blackhat? Cacksplat, more like.

rjd2

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 27, 2021, 12:31:54 PM
Manhunter is a masterpiece of pure '80s-ness, that's for sure.

Just checking Wiki, so Petersen's first three films were Thief, To Live and Die In La and Manhunter and he absolutely smashed them all.

Sadly none seem to have made much money, he's had a nice career and made money but he's someone who really deserved to be a much bigger star.

Got serious range, he is so vulnerable in Manhunter, so sleazy in to Live and Die In La and also the dude was seriously attractive.

Shame.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 27, 2021, 03:51:07 PM
Now now. Have you forgotten our mutual disdain for Dawn of the Dead so soon?

Blackhat? Cacksplat, more like.

I'll let it go.  Just this once...

Quote from: rjd2 on January 27, 2021, 04:02:28 PM
Just checking Wiki, so Petersen's first three films were Thief, To Live and Die In La and Manhunter and he absolutely smashed them all.

Sadly none seem to have made much money, he's had a nice career and made money but he's someone who really deserved to be a much bigger star.

Got serious range, he is so vulnerable in Manhunter, so sleazy in to Live and Die In La and also the dude was seriously attractive.

Shame.

Don't feel too bad for him - he was producer and executive producer on CSI as well as being the star of course, so he did more than okay on that alone for a good 15 years.

rjd2

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 27, 2021, 04:28:38 PM
I'll let it go.  Just this once...

Don't feel too bad for him - he was producer and executive producer on CSI as well as being the star of course, so he did more than okay on that alone for a good 15 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Petersen

Ha, fair.

Looking at the CV after that awesome start , not much really sticks out their of any interest.

I've not seen Mulholland Falls for years so genuinely can't recall him in that, and even reading up on the role its the briefest of cameos.

Billy

The last few posts give me fond memories of the 'Michael Mannathon' at the Prince Charles in 2017, my first all-night movie marathon. They showed Thief, The Keep, Manhunter, Last of the Mohicans, Heat and Collateral, none of which I'd seen before and other than nodding off for a good proportion of Mohicans I loved every second.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Billy on January 27, 2021, 10:05:18 PM
The Keep

Now THERE's a massively underrated piece of work.  I know Mann has always disliked it because of the very tough shoot and Paramount's dreadful handling of it, and he's always basically said "arsed mate, cigs", but I did read something a little while ago that seemed to suggest Mann was starting to sniff around it and perhaps have a revisit.  It's extremely unlikely we'll get his original 3+ hour cut released in any fashion given a lot of effects work was never completed and it's too difficult to patch in modern CGI (at least according to Mann), but there's maybe potential for his final 2 hour cut as that was pretty much complete.  Wish that documentary would hurry up and get released.

Famous Mortimer

MILFs vs. Zombies

One of those movies where the title is 99% of the entertainment. Blame the couple of extremely positive reviews on Letterboxd for fooling me.