Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:44:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's public transport like at the moment?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 14, 2021, 02:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Something that surprises me is that, looking at the Tfl website (which I do sometimes just to cheer myself up, I like looking at the London Underground) most stations appear to be open.

Last year during the first lockdown weren't loads of stations closed? The only closed station I can see is Heathrow Terminal 4 due to the lack of flights. The Waterloo and City Line is of course still closed.

I'm surprised they haven't had to close more stations due to staff being unwell, given that COVID in London is worse than ever.

I haven't got on a bus since November but when I walk past one or see one go past my window there are only a handful on the bus, however most times all the windows are closed. It's hard to see who is wearing masks and who isn't, but I've spotted a few not wearing masks. Often I see empty buses go past, although not as many as in the first lockdown.

Not sure what the trains are like.

bgmnts

Just wear a face mask and gloves and you're in no danger whatsoever right?

The Culture Bunker

A bus that runs between the Trafford Centre and Stockport (across a fair bit of South Manchester) passes by my flat. Back in April, the buses would be close to empty, maybe one or two people. Now, I'd say they were fairly normal. I had to take a trip a couple of months back for work reasons and I'd say half of those onboard took their masks off as soon as they sat down.

Trams are running to usual timetables too.

Shit Good Nose

Reduced bus service round here, but definitely still running and being used, ditto the trains.  However, locally we are being warned that it may not be safe to use public transport and to only use it if absolutely necessary, as it's impossible to keep the buses and trains sanitised whilst in use.

jfjnpxmy

Wall to wall cunts with their cunty sunflower lanyards.

chveik

Blue Jam

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 14, 2021, 02:20:21 PM
Something that surprises me is that, looking at the Tfl website (which I do sometimes just to cheer myself up, I like looking at the London Underground) most stations appear to be open.

Last year during the first lockdown weren't loads of stations closed?

They were, and there were fewer trains running, but this resulted in the still-open stations and still-running trains being even more packed than before. Probably best to keep everything open and running so essential workers can get to their jobs without getting ill.

Think the buses in Embra have been running a normal service. Was using them up until the end of November last year but giving them a wide berth now. Won't need to get on a train until at least April, and only if the Crucible will be letting spectators in to watch the snooker by then.

Fambo Number Mive

At some point I'm going to have to get back on the bus again. Really hope it's not until it gets a bit warmer so people aren't so unreasonable about keeping the window open.

Underground commutes must be scary at the moment, I imagine quite a few Londoners have switched from underground to overground trains (I presume you get fresher air when the door opens if you are above ground, not really sure how it works). Glad I don't live on the Victoria Line like I used to (although you had the option of the Chingford line as well)

I hope the thread OP didn't come across as me being smug, I'm genuinely curious, especially as I rely on buses outside of lockdown and it feels weird not being on them.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 14, 2021, 03:55:05 PM
They were, and there were fewer trains running, but this resulted in the still-open stations and still-running trains being even more packed than before. Probably best to keep everything open and running so essential workers can get to their jobs without getting ill.

I agree, I think the only reason they shut so many stations last time was staff shortages due to COVID - unless I'm wrong about that. Tfl are doing well keeping almost all stations open to be honest (unless the introduction of masks  for passengers has reduced illness among transport workers).

I feel very sorry for transport workers at the moment having to deal with people refusing to wear masks - I know BTP are patrolling the trains but I don't think they patrol the buses.

57 transport staff have died from COVID in London alone. Transport unions are pushing for better protection:

QuoteThe Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union has asked for a supply of higher grade masks for workers and for all vulnerable staff to be sent home.

The Transport Salaried Staffs' Association (TSSA) union is calling for essential transport workers to receive the vaccine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55623059

steveh

Might have made this point before, but given what's known about ventilation it would seem to be sensible to configure trains so they open all the doors at every station rather than just opening the doors where passengers get on or off.

Blue Jam

Lothian Buses have signs under the windows asking people to leave them open to improve ventilation. People seemed to be fine with this, even in November there was always a nice through draft, but I wonder if people are struggling with that rule now it's a bit icier. I get the impression people in Scotland have been a bit more willing to comply with the rules than peeps in England overall.

sirhenry

Dr Rock

I haven't been on any form of public transport since I fucked my foot six years ago. Hope this helps x

Sebastian Cobb

Not got a bus or been in a car since March last year.

flotemysost

Last time I got on a bus (autumn, London) some twat got on, saw there weren't any free double seats on the upper deck, so plonked himself down right next to me and pinged his mask down round his chin. I recoiled with a bit of "err, do you mind, pandemic there mate" and he immediately went off on one about "I don't care, it's all a lie, what about my human rights" blah blah. So I called him a cunt and then I got off the bus.

I've heard similar horror stories, including from a colleague whose partner got shouted at by a fellow passenger on the Tube (as in, right close up in his face) for having the sheer audacity to move slightly away from this guy in the carriage, because he wasn't wearing a mask.

I was lucky with my old flat in that I was able to walk to my office, when it was open during the summer - I'm working from home now until further notice, but where I live at the moment it'd probably take about three hours either way so I'm considering moving closer again later this year so I don't have to get transport if/when the office opens. Even if they fully eradicate the 'vid I'm not sure my tolerance for commuting cunts will ever recover.