Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:25:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UK bans South American and Portuguese travellers

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 14, 2021, 04:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

This is over the Brazil variant. I'm a bit confused why people from Portugal are being banned - I know Brazil used to be part of the Portuguese Empire and there are quite close links between the two countries, is it because there is a lot of travel between Brazil and Portugal.

jobotic

I can't find out much about this variant. Is it like the Kent one but more exotic (unless you are in Brazil)?

poo

steveh

While it evolved independently, the Brazil variant has the same three key mutations as the South African variant: N501Y (increased transmissibility) and K417N and E484K (possible reduced antibody effectiveness). The Kent variant only has the first.

Dog Botherer

but what's the deal with banning Portuguese people, other than the obvious

Bazooka

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 14, 2021, 04:14:49 PM
This is over the Brazil variant. I'm a bit confused why people from Portugal are being banned - I know Brazil used to be part of the Portuguese Empire and there are quite close links between the two countries, is it because there is a lot of travel between Brazil and Portugal.

The virus travels through language, if you hear someone speaking Portuguese, eradicate them with a mallet.

JaDanketies

Alberon

Quote from: Dog Botherer on January 14, 2021, 04:57:22 PM
but what's the deal with banning Portuguese people, other than the obvious

I think I heard on the news that the ban on the Portuguese is due to strong links to Brazil.

flotemysost

Lots of flights from Brazil to the UK have a stopover in Portugal, at least with TAP anyway.

Dog Botherer

thanks, wouldn't have put it past there being someone in the government with a bitter hatred of the portuguese who saw their chance

bgmnts

Quote from: Alberon on January 14, 2021, 06:17:30 PM
I think I heard on the news that the ban on the Portuguese is due to strong links to Brazil.

Do they have strong links beyond speaking the same language?

JamesTC

Quote from: Bazooka on January 14, 2021, 06:00:30 PM
The virus travels through language, if you hear someone speaking Portuguese, eradicate them with a mallet.

We need to quarantine all Kikongo speakers quickly.

Chedney Honks

If Neymar got it, Neymar sisters got it double.

Vagina + anal.

jobotic

Nah

QuoteProf Wendy Barclay, G2P-UK lead and head of department of infectious disease and chair in influenza virology at Imperial College London, said the Brazilian variant detected in the UK is not the one causing the concern.

She explained:

The new Brazilian variant of concern, that was picked up in travellers going to Japan, has NOT been detected in the UK. Other variants that may have originated from Brazil have been previously found.

jobotic

Prof Wendy Barclay was in the pub when she said that. She's on the karaoke now.