Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:26:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

First four series of Grange Hill now on Britbox

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 14, 2021, 06:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: non capisco on January 16, 2021, 09:48:39 PM
We didn't start the fire! It was always burnin' since the world's been turnin'

I laughed

Quote from: jamiefairlie on January 16, 2021, 04:57:28 PM
You omit the great character night of the long knives that occurred with that intake. A bunch were omitted after their first year and the likes of Claire Scott added.

Not just the kids, the teachers just vanished as well. One of my first Grange Hill memories is Gonch Gardner (the best character, especially when tagged with his hapless sidekick Hollo, another disappearing child) being harassed by some moustachioed teacher who vowed to 'get' the wheeler dealer schoolboy... only to never be seen again.

Fambo Number Mive

The Grange Hill cast did a "Just Say No" Nancy Reagan-style drugs video, didn't they?

gilbertharding

I was in 3rd year junior school when Grange Hill started, so was exactly the right age to be both excited and really quite scared by watching it, about starting secondary school. Obviously secondary school was *exactly like* what Grange Hill promised.

I was still watching it when I was in 6th form, when from what I can remember the best people in it were The Laura Reagan Coterie. Oh yes.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Replies From View on January 17, 2021, 09:05:25 AM
Remember when Zammo was all heroined-up on the floor of the toilets and the camera kept jump-cutting a bit closer and closer until it was up his nostrils?

Well they ruined it by having him come back the next week.  Should have died.

I was convinced he was dead. Him being alive in the next episode reminded me of the bogus cliff hangers you used to see if you watched Flash Gordon reruns.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on January 20, 2021, 05:28:27 PM
The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkQXnQ0plDA

And a diplomatic visit by Zammo and the gang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjYxHpMX0KI

Somewhat ironic that they went to see the man who was responsible for okaying cocaine smuggling to help fund armies fighting Communism. Reagan should have stood up and farted out his own version "Just Say No (Unless It Helps Destroy Ideologies You Disagree With)"

Replies From View

While they were being congratulated for being so good against drugs they were actually fucking stoned out of their arses mate

Glazed over as fuck while the royalty were shaking their hands.  Like if the Beatles had been little London school kid fellas.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It was sort of funny seeing the programme being all gritty and that, after the classic opening credits with their Whizzer and Chips comic and Mungo Jerry-esque bassline.

Tony Tony Tony

I had the hots for Trisha Yates, with her Farah Fawcett hairdo and bad girl image.

Tucker Jenkins always called her Pongo though we all know that was the classic schoolboy technique to mask his desire for her.

jamiefairlie

Nah, not so much, but her mate Cathy Hargreaves.....

Replies From View

turnstyle

I'm right in thinking that Grange Hill was entirely designed to scare the shit out of younger kids so they'd fall into line at secondary school, right?

I remember watching it as a young Turnstyle, and being terrified that in a couple of years this would be my life. The one episode that really fucked me up was the one where the bully was shoving loft insulation down peoples jumpers.  Nightmare fuel.

To go from watching Jonny Briggs, where the highest drama was Razzle nicking a bit of chicken off the work surface, to Grange Hill, where there were DRUGS, bullying and dead kids, was too big a leap for my tiny brain.

Replies From View

I don't remember there being any chicken left around on work surfaces in Johnny Briggs.  It sounds pretty horrifying to be honest.  What kind of work surface was it?  I'm picturing a rusty, sawdust-caked black and decker workbench in a shed.  How could anyone trust the chicken was still fresh?

pigamus

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 21, 2021, 09:32:52 AM
I was in 3rd year junior school when Grange Hill started, so was exactly the right age to be both excited and really quite scared by watching it, about starting secondary school. Obviously secondary school was *exactly like* what Grange Hill promised.

I was still watching it when I was in 6th form, when from what I can remember the best people in it were The Laura Reagan Coterie. Oh yes.

Laura Regan was the pretty one alright

I quite fancied Helen as well for some reason

Replies From View

"for some reason"

you tell that to the judge mate

pigamus

Actually there was a donkey involved now I think about it

Replies From View

Just slipped your mind did it, the donkey?

The jury are tutting right now mate.  Properly tutting.

Jockice

Cerys

Wasn't Cathy the one who chucked her bra into the river?

Cerys

No, I've now watched the episode in question.  It wasn't Cathy - it was Susie, a character I didn't even remember.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Cerys on January 26, 2021, 03:20:39 AM
No, I've now watched the episode in question.  It wasn't Cathy - it was Susie, a character I didn't even remember.

McMahon, ended up going out with Tucker's mate Alan (who taught her Judo)

Cerys

paruses

Judo was really popular wasn't it? That's what I remember about Alan.

Jockice

He smoked fags as well. Those were his two main characteristics. Smoking and judo. But not at the same time.

I'm totally convinced I saw Alan Humphries (or as he was called in the first episode, Alan Turner) at a Bomb The Bass concert in Sheffield in the late 80s. It was either him or the best lookalike ever. I wish cameraphones existed in those days.

Replies From View

Quote from: paruses on January 26, 2021, 08:23:19 AM
Judo was really popular wasn't it? That's what I remember about Alan.

The lion in Narnia?  They mustn't have included that in the BBC production.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Todd Carty was a charismatic little tyke, wasn't he? Tucker is ostensibly a bit of a nuisance/borderline bully in series one, but Carty imbues him with loads of cheeky charm. It's strange, really, as he was rubbish in EastEnders: a furrow-browed bore with no spark behind his eyes.

I appreciate that Mark Fowler was never supposed to be a barrel of laughs, but Carty's performance was stiff and unconvincing. I guess he's just one of those child actors who lost their unaffectedness once 'proper' grown-up acting was required of them.

jamiefairlie

Yeah he was starting to show that even in later GH years and more so in the spin-off Tucker's Luck.

paruses

And The Bill. But that was bat shit by then anyway so added to the charm.

Replies From View

Was he also in Casualty?  They usually are, these..... *checks what the word is* ....actors.