Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:34:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chilblains

Started by Norton Canes, January 14, 2021, 08:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Big, fat red fucking weals erupting all over my toes, swelling up and getting puffy like chipolatas about to burst under the grill, thought I had COVID toe or some shit at first, then realised these excruciating fuckers must be chilblains. Feels like someone stamped on each toe individually, pain under the toenails when they swell up, don't stop itching, want to scratch each one with a fucking AXE

Must be something to calm them down. Can't take socks off feet get too cold therefore PAIN, can't put socks on feet get too hot therefore PAIN, can't go in shower feet get too wet therefore PAIN. Tried ibuprofen, calamine cream, witchhaze gel (YES it's a thing), rubbing in a poultice of chicken's livers and Nutella... no difference whatsoever, PAIN.

Please give answer to chilblains.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

(you need moisturiser. And to whack the heating up a bit)

Norton Canes

No, no, the pain quotient increases by a factor of three for each °C the ambient temperature rises. I have got a tub of Sanctuary Spa Mande Lular Body Souffle knocking around somewhere though, could slap some of that on.

derek stitt

Stand in a pot of piss, it works.

Chedney Honks

How hard are you chillin?

bgmnts

Were you walking barefoot through the snow or something?

Norton Canes

Quote from: derek stitt on January 14, 2021, 10:05:30 PM
Stand in a pot of piss, it works

Oooh yes, that's nice. Sweet relief.

Bernice

I got chilblains when I was about ten, holidaying in a caravan in the Cairngorms. Have you considered growing the fuck up and recalling these chilblains with nothing more painful than a pang of nostalgia?

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: bgmnts on January 15, 2021, 12:42:25 AM
Were you walking barefoot through the snow or something?

Marillion's Kayleigh has let herself go.

Butchers Blind

derek stitt

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 15, 2021, 10:03:02 AM
Oooh yes, that's nice. Sweet relief.

Is the itching a bastard. Have had chilblains and the desire to scratch was all consuming. Hope they pass over in a couple of weeks.

Norton Canes

Well that escalated. Been prescribed Nifedipine to help with the circulation. Took one at teatime, it sent all the blood into my face and feet, I spent two hours in bed in the dark shivering under a duvet with Unknown Pleasures on loop

COVID toe *is* chilblains isn't it?

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on January 15, 2021, 10:23:29 PM
COVID toe *is* chilblains isn't it?

aye, have you had a test recently Norton Canes?

I had unbelievable cherry tomato style toes on the Covid (never had a chilblain in me life afore).

It was almost amusing how bulbous, red raw and juicy my feet became.
My little toes are still just nubs of mishappen flesh with a a little hard bit where once stood nails.

I dipped them in really hot water and then into isopropyl alcohol in the end, hoping to kill whatever was making it happen...

...it didn't offer much relief to be honest!

Inspector Norse

-10 here yesterday and I walked 10k through the city. No chillblains.

Admittedly only because my feet fell off, cheers.

McDead

Yes, like the other fella who lost his sense of taste, this is almost certainly Covid, go and get the test, imo.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Inspector Norse on January 16, 2021, 12:02:15 AM
-10 here yesterday and I walked 10k through the city. No chillblains.

Admittedly only because my feet fell off, cheers.

"...Luxury. I used to get up in the morning at night, half an hour before I went to bed, Eat a lump of freezing cold poison, work 28 hours a day at mill, and pay t'mill owner to let us work there. And when I went home our dad used to murder us in cold blood, each night, and dance about on our toes, singing hallelujah."

Cuntbeaks

steve98

I was going to start a thread called My Left Foot, examining all the ailments afflicting my left foot: "trumpet" toenail; cracked, terribly itchy tough skin on the heel; gout - the lot. I'm glad I didn't cos no-one takes foot problems seriously ("Gout? Haha"), or gives much of a fuck... Have you thought about lanolin? Lanolin grease from sheep? You should, fascinating subject

steve98

There's over 8,000 different lanolin esters - imagine that.

Blinder Data

flip flops and super moisturising cream helped my COVID toes. otherwise you just have to ride it out :(

Chedney Honks

You got a band saw bro

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on January 15, 2021, 11:04:37 PM
aye, have you had a test recently Norton Canes?

I had unbelievable cherry tomato style toes on the Covid (never had a chilblain in me life afore).

It was almost amusing how bulbous, red raw and juicy my feet became.
My little toes are still just nubs of mishappen flesh with a a little hard bit where once stood nails.

I dipped them in really hot water and then into isopropyl alcohol in the end, hoping to kill whatever was making it happen...

...it didn't offer much relief to be honest!

How long did it take for these symptoms to be present? Was it a few days/weeks?

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 17, 2021, 10:38:18 AM
How long did it take for these symptoms to be present? Was it a few days/weeks?

I was in a right old state so wasn't really able to keep a coherent diary of events.
I'd guess at about ten days into the Covid (after first symptoms) was when I first noticed the pain in my feet.

Norton Canes

Oh yeah sorry for keeping you all on tenterhooks

Turns out that Nifedipine is some sort of miracle drug because after that one dose, the real painful raw swelling of the toes has stopped completely. Sure they're still a bit red and tender but no longer like something out of an Ian Marter Target novelisation

Oh and had a COVID test a couple of days ago, just come back negative, repeat test is negative. So the only downside to all this is it looks like I am susceptible to chilblains and will probably get them every winter for the rest of my life.

Anyone want 159 Nifedipine tablets?

Blinder Data

my GP said a COVID test was not necessary as the toe/finger symptoms tend to appear post-infection, so I wouldn't trust too much in the test results.

the first time in early summer it took me approximately two weeks to realise they weren't going away, two weeks of peak discomfort, and then two to four weeks where they slowly disappeared.

my second bout in the autumn lasted 2+ months, which was a real pain in the digits. rather than another bout of COVID, this could mean I am at risk of developing them in the colder seasons for the rest of my life, which is shit but still better than being on a vent obvs.

interesting that those tablets seemed to work. my GP simply referred me to the dermatology department, who subsequently sent me a letter that essentially said "won't be seeing you for a while, pal"