Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:47:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Pedestrians

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 14, 2021, 09:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Just walking everywhere, and using public transport when necessary.
Used to like me a bit of cycling, but haven't done it for a while now.
Never learned to drive, never will.Spent many years in Moscow, and cycling in the city centre is simply not a  option.Metro all the way, innit?

This all sounds a bit dull, really.

Any other CABbers like me?

Chedney Honks

Love to run these guys over in my 6x6.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Cars are solely for racing.

imitationleather

Cars are solely for washing.

Icehaven

Yup, at the moment. Can't drive, used public transport all my life but I've been walking to work since going back in August (albeit only 2-3 days a week) and actually really enjoying it, it's about 45 minutes each way and even in the crap weather infinitely preferable to getting on a bus. My better half has a motorbike that he uses all the time but we can both get about on when needs must, but that's only if going further afield, which obviously we aren't much at the moment. Having podcasts to listen to while walking is the deal breaker for me, I actually prefer having a longer 'commute' now as it gives me more time for catching up with them. Probably moving further than walking distance from work soon though so back to the buses, boo.

Twonty Gostelow

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

holdover

Walking is great here in Edinburgh. I lost 14 stone in 12 months by walking the streets and hill around here. During first lockdown I walked out to the Pentlands to hear some cuckoos. Braw.

Bit grim today though as it was really wet and thanks to a pot-hole I got drenched walking up Dundas Street today.

Podcasts are a godsend for a long walk.

flotemysost

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 14, 2021, 09:05:29 PM

Yes, this is basically me. I just really like that you can save money, listen to music/podcasts/audiobooks, and stay fit, but unlike other forms of excercise you can still wear normal clothes (as long as the footwear's reasonably practical) and not have to lug around a sports bag or worry about getting all sweaty.

Several friends have joked that I should participate in Olympic speed walking (because I walk fast, not because I shit myself in public).

Quote from: holdover on January 14, 2021, 09:46:30 PM
Walking is great here in Edinburgh. I lost 14 stone in 12 months by walking the streets and hill around here.

Crikey, well done.

Marner and Me

Honestly I hate walking unless I'm going out for a country walk, but I will drive pretty much every where.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Used to love walking to and from work when I lived in Phnom Penh. 35 minutes each way, sweltering heat, watching the rats scampering about, everyone sitting outside the shops, walking past the citizens drinking their cans of Carnation, allowing a good two or three minutes before feeling confident enough to cross the road ( once, a scooter driving feller gave me a cheery wink as I was in mid- cross, as if to say " good road- crossing, Sir!"), lost shitloads of weight. Marvellous.

Ray Travez

Get the worst of it as a pedestrian; all the obvious crap from motorists like getting showered with water from a puddle or being killed; you get shat on by cyclists- going through a red light at a pedestrian crossing while you're in the road or zooming along on the pavement, turning a simple trip to the shops into something akin to a game of Frogger; plus the general abuse you get from other pedestrians. It's fucking terrible.

Quote from: flotemysost on January 14, 2021, 09:59:55 PM
I walk fast,

Me too. I think there should be a lane, in the city centre, for people who use walking to actually get somewhere. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 14, 2021, 10:46:51 PM
( once, a scooter driving feller gave me a cheery wink as I was in mid- cross, as if to say " good road- crossing, Sir!"), .

https://youtu.be/9FEO-XKo4cw

The Dog

I've been doing a lot of walking in the last few months, partly for exercise but also because my 2012 Citroen C3 was recently diagnosed with AIDS.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cars are shit, bin the cunts

Chedney Honks

I miss walking round everywhere so much I driv my 6x6 along the pavement.

The Mollusk

Fucking bonkers how seldom people in America are willing to walk from one location to another. When I was in Colorado a few years back the person whose home I was staying in was giving me directions into town, all of which were by some very difficult convoluted bus/tram combo because "you can't get anywhere in America without a car". I looked it up on my phone and told her it was no bother, as it was under 3 miles so I was happy to walk it. She looked at me as though I'd just kicked her dog to death.

poo

Walk dog now that's nice.

buttgammon

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 15, 2021, 07:10:31 AM
Fucking bonkers how seldom people in America are willing to walk from one location to another. When I was in Colorado a few years back the person whose home I was staying in was giving me directions into town, all of which were by some very difficult convoluted bus/tram combo because "you can't get anywhere in America without a car". I looked it up on my phone and told her it was no bother, as it was under 3 miles so I was happy to walk it. She looked at me as though I'd just kicked her dog to death.

A few years ago, I read a book about walking by an American writer who pointed out that she grew up in a suburb that was so car-centric it literally didn't even have pavements. Mad stuff.

greenman

Normally get superior female drivers to ship me around when needed but I'v always lived within walking distance of a decent sized town centre and most of my jobs have been within walking distance as well. Mostly tramping around the local countryside even before I was taking photo's of it as a career but that is a fair bit of up and down in the Stroud valleys.

Tony Tony Tony

A number of my walks into town recently have been spoiled by cunts on electric scooters zooming by at close quarters. Guess numbers have increased on account of Xmas pressies. I thought these things were outlawed.

Icehaven

Quote from: holdover on January 14, 2021, 09:46:30 PM
Walking is great here in Edinburgh. I lost 14 stone in 12 months by walking the streets and hill around here.

Either that's a typo or walking around Edinburgh is the best weight loss program in the world.

Mobbd

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 14, 2021, 09:05:29 PM
Just walking everywhere, and using public transport when necessary.
Used to like me a bit of cycling, but haven't done it for a while now.
Never learned to drive, never will.Spent many years in Moscow, and cycling in the city centre is simply not a  option.Metro all the way, innit?

This all sounds a bit dull, really.

Yep. Same. Never learned and never will. I think I never learned because I didn't see the point and was vaguely bemused by the ubiquity of cars. Today I am positively anti-car. Fuckers ruin everything.

easytarget

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 15, 2021, 07:10:31 AM

Well, the big cities (in my limited experience) are very walkable - you can get to most of the places you'd typically need to regularly go without a car, and I think most NYC residents don't own a car.

I switched from a job where I had to drive ~ 10 miles in heavy, miserable traffic (up to an hour each way, where's my medal?) to one where I just walk and get the bus - and I less stressed out (about that one particular strand of life).

But loads of Americans live in tiny, shitty cities. In fact even a few blocks north from my house the sidewalks all stop and it gets a bit mad max.
Depends. Innit.

Lord Mandrake

I would walk 14 miles a day to work and back before lockdown but it was being ruined by electric wheeled shit allover the pavement, zig zapping, creeping up behind me. Flouting all known regs by never facing sanction. I am developing personal anti electric vehicle weapons and tactics for peds if anyone interested. It's like Bladerunner out there but scooters.

monkfromhavana

I can neither drive a car or ride a bike, so what a joy to find this thread about pounding the cold hard streets. I like the lack of responsibility and the fact that I'm unlikely to kill anyone, I can just flaneur about looking at things. Also, you're unlikely to get annoyed with people or vice versa, in fact it can be quite social saying hello to old dears etc.

Mobbd

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 16, 2021, 08:32:29 PM
I can neither drive a car or ride a bike, so what a joy to find this thread about pounding the cold hard streets. I like the lack of responsibility and the fact that I'm unlikely to kill anyone, I can just flaneur about looking at things. Also, you're unlikely to get annoyed with people or vice versa, in fact it can be quite social saying hello to old dears etc.

My sentiments precisely.

I am genuinely buoyed there are so many of us.

pigamus

Quote from: buttgammon on January 15, 2021, 10:23:44 AM
A few years ago, I read a book about walking by an American writer who pointed out that she grew up in a suburb that was so car-centric it literally didn't even have pavements. Mad stuff.

There's a bit in one of Bill Bryson's books where he talks about inviting his new neighbours round from next door

They drove

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

BlodwynPig

Quote"Mr Jack Caffery', he says slowly. 'This is the truth, but don't be afraid of it. Your life will be different from this day on, but you will survive. You will continue.'
'How do you know?'
'I know because you and I? We are the same person."