Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:16:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wandavision

Started by bgmnts, January 15, 2021, 11:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 10, 2021, 09:53:51 PM
It being set in a different timeline at least gives them scope to disregard everything that happened after the end of 'The Avengers', though whether they do anything interesting with that is another matter.
At the very least, I hope they can think of some way to portray Loki's trickster side, other than that one hologram illusion he always does.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 10, 2021, 10:02:02 PM
At the very least, I hope they can think of some way to portray Loki's trickster side, other than that one hologram illusion he always does.
We saw him pretend to be Odin for a while, so he could live it up as King. But yeah, more 'God of Mischief' would be nice.

colacentral

As disappointing as Wandavision was, it is interesting to think that, with Loki, Scarlet Witch, and the Skrulls, not to mention the time travel stuff that will come back in the next Ant-Man, they're leaning on characters and events that reshape reality, as opposed to the original stable of characters they worked with, which were all basically variations of "really strong man." There are alot of interesting avenues to go down with that. I'd guess that it's one way that they'll address the problem of Captain Marvel being so much stronger than everyone else, seeing as it doesn't mean much to be strong if you're not sure what's real.

I know that everyone is expecting a take on Secret Invasion anyway, but the MCU adaptations have never been just straight 1:1 translations, and I expect their version of it will deviate quite dramatically.

Gulftastic

Could the next phase build towards a two film Secret Wars conclusion?

mjwilson

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 11, 2021, 01:59:48 PM
Could the next phase build towards a two film Secret Wars conclusion?

Wait, there's a Secret Wars and a Secret Invasion? Blimey, this is as bad as all the crises that DC keep on having.

Norton Canes

Quote from: mjwilson on March 12, 2021, 09:17:09 AM
Wait, there's a Secret Wars and a Secret Invasion? Blimey, this is as bad as all the crises that DC keep on having.

Don't worry, they'll sign the Secret Peace Treaty at the end.

olliebean

Wars in general are pretty tedious to watch, so if they keep it secret that's fine by me.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 12, 2021, 09:28:09 AM
I miss Daredevil.

This and The Punisher. Tried Jessica Jones but couldn't get into it.

phantom_power

Agents of Shield turned out to be great fun as well after a shaky start

Speaking of which. The appearance of the redesigned Darkhold in Wandavision would seem to imply that Agents of SHIELD is no longer canonical within the MCU. Although I suppose it could have magically morphed itself.

Blumf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 12, 2021, 02:12:13 PM
Speaking of which. The appearance of the redesigned Darkhold in Wandavision would seem to imply that Agents of SHIELD is no longer canonical within the MCU. Although I suppose it could have magically morphed itself.

Everything I've seen about that seems to suggest it's pretty much official. In particular, AoS hasn't had anything to do with 'The SnapBlip'

Ant Farm Keyboard

Anything that's not produced by Marvel Studios and supervised by Kevin Feige isn't entirely canon.
AoS, Agent Carter, Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, Inhumans, or the Netflix entries were all shows produced by Marvel Television. Hellstrom is new, but it's actually an old project by the same Marvel Television, that doesn't even exist anymore. Marvel Studios and Marvel Television were supposed to be in the same company, but there was for years some conflict about the executives.

Originally, Kevin Feige developed the MCU under the authority of the Marvel CEO, Ike Perlmutter. It was a hit, Disney bought the company, but they kept Perlmutter in charge, which Feige resented as he felt that the guy was out of touch. In 2015, the entire group was reorganized, mostly as an excuse to put Marvel Studios under the direct authority of the head of the Walt Disney Studios.
Yet, Perlmutter was allowed to continue to develop TV shows in a division headed by Jeph Loeb, Marvel Television. Feige was more and more reluctant to allow Marvel Television to feed itself on the material that came from the films, but it's only when the Disney-Fox merger was over and plans were being finalized for Disney+ that Feige and Marvel Studios took control over everything produced by Marvel. Hence the cancellation of nearly every show still in production. Marvel Television only exists as a label.

I don't think that there will be any hard reboot as there will be for the IP they got back from Fox (like X-Men or Fantastic Four), especially as people have always assumed that the previous TV shows are "part" of the MCU, but it's likely that any time they have a decision to make for a plot that could be in contradiction with the old shows, they won't mind breaking the continuity.
Now, it will be interesting to see what they do about Deadpool. Deadpool was attached to the X-Men and the whole Fox/Singer series of films, but the Ryan Reynolds movies are huge hits, and it will be very easy to have him as an outsider connected to the MCU, as it would just add to the weirdness and the fourth wall breaking. It's just that they can't have him as part of the MCU or on the regular section of Disney+. He's more suited (like the forthcoming MODOK TV show, greenlit by Marvel Television but later confirmed by Marvel Studios) to Hulu or Disney+ Star.

mothman

Thanks AFK, very interesting. But...

QuoteIt's just that they can't have him as part of the MCU or on the regular section of Disney+. He's more suited (like the forthcoming MODOK TV show, greenlit by Marvel Television but later confirmed by Marvel Studios) to Hulu or Disney+ Star.

They can't have him.., because his content isn't suited, am I reading that right? Or is there some other legal obstacle? And either way, do these strictures apply also to the wider/mainstream X-Men joining the MCU in any way?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Because the content isn't suited. It's R-rated while everything in the MCU is PG-13. That's all the explanation that is required. "Grown-up" comics were often published on a different label to prevent confusion.

There might have been issues with the string of people who would be granted credits for producing the stuff, even if they didn't do anything, but the elephant in the room is already addressed, as Bryan Singer wasn't in that position. People like Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg may have a clause in their contracts for that, but it makes much more sense for Disney to start a new continuity. It wouldn't hurt Deadpool much for a sequel, as the writers can still find some ridiculous explanations for keeping the cast around (well, minus TJ Miller) in almost identical parts in a pseudo new continuity, just like Stephen Colbert claimed that his right-wing alter ego on Late Night with Stephen Colbert wasn't "Colbert" from The Colbert Report but his identical twin cousin, because of some copyright claim.

Perhaps the villain of Deadpool 3 will be an unstoppable giant mouse that swallows up entire universes. Meta.

Back to WandaVision and this review has almost convinced me that the finale worked better than I thought.
https://youtu.be/13ACFVvAmAg

Mister Six

Just catching up with the thread as have only just bothered to watch it all, but:

Quote from: mothman on March 07, 2021, 04:47:37 PM
The more you unpack it as a completed season, the less sense it makes. Once you take away the sitcom trappings, there's very little to it is there? Just a way to get Wanda Maximoff from A (restored but still bereaved in Endgame) to B (potential baddie in Dr.S&tMofM).

Yeah and I suspect this will be a recurring thing in these Disney+ shows - they have point A (wherever the last movie left them) and point B (wherever the next movie needs them to be) and in-between there'll be a load of inconsequential shit that maybe deals with/reveals some backstory stuff but is otherwise entirely skippable.

Falcon and The Winter Soldier is up next, and the arc for that seems pretty obvious: Falcon is reluctant to take up the shield, does some fighting type business, maybe gets a shot of super-soldier serum, and the series ends with the logo changing to Captain America and The Winter Soldier, all ready for Captain America 4 in 2025 or whenever.

Nothing will happen that can't be either ignored by the movies (Vision 2) or quickly explained in them (Wanda went mad with grief and became a baddie).

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 12, 2021, 02:12:13 PM

Canon is a fairly amorphous thing but the presence of Coulson and the Shield/Hydra bombshell that fed into Winter Soldier, and some appearances from MCU characters/actors suggest that it has to be canon. I am not sure of the timeline that AOS works in in comparison to the MCU but the last season was mainly set in the past and previous seasons set in the far future which way have been a way to avoid dealing with The Snap

SteveDave

I found my interest in this waning the further I got into it and the more it got less weird and became a "normal" Marvel thing.

It probably didn't help reading all the "REED RICHARDS IS GOING TO BE THE AEROSPACE EXPERT" and then it was some no-name person with a shit tank and "IT'S REALLY MEPHISTO!" and then it wasn't. It's like it could've been BIGGER and SQUIGGLY but it ended up being quite small and straight.

olliebean

Honestly, the Falcon and the Winter Soldier are two of the characters that have made the least impression on me in all the Marvel films (there were at least a couple of films where I didn't even remember Bucky at all from the previous ones), so it's going to have to work hard to maintain my interest.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 12, 2021, 09:28:09 AM
I miss Daredevil.
Apparently in the next Spider-Man film.
If Punisher turns up, 2 + 2 = Marvel Knights!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on March 15, 2021, 01:23:39 PM
Apparently in the next Spider-Man film.
If Punisher turns up, 2 + 2 = Marvel Knights!
Wasn't that rumour re Daredevil nixed a few weeks ago?

Shame, as I also liked the show. Again, very well cast - yer man was great as Fisk and I'd like to see him do the part again.

bakabaka

Quote from: olliebean on March 15, 2021, 01:18:13 PM
Honestly, the Falcon and the Winter Soldier are two of the characters that have made the least impression on me in all the Marvel films (there were at least a couple of films where I didn't even remember Bucky at all from the previous ones), so it's going to have to work hard to maintain my interest.
Most people were disappointed with Marvel when they boasted of their great  pro-gay scene in Endgame[nb]in case you missed it, one of the no-name characters in the self-help group Captain America goes to mentions that his partner is male. That was it.[/nb]. So they have decided to make up for it.

Now that Captain America has finally chosen Peggy Carter over Bucky, this series follows the heart-broken Bucky as he has a fling on the rebound with Falcon, only to realise that they have something special between them. Over the series they have several ups and downs in their relationship, but slowly[nb]oh, so slowly[/nb] their love deepens and they become an unstoppable partnership, ending with them adopting a son who turns out, in series 2, to be Steve Rogers before he was cruelly ripped from his fathers and set back in time to the 30's by [enter time-travelling super baddie of your choice here]. [nb]It doesn't matter who you chose, in the end it will happen by random accident off-screen in one the eight after credits scenes of the last episode.[/nb]. It's all about family these days.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 15, 2021, 01:26:57 PM

Shame, as I also liked the show. Again, very well cast - yer man was great as Fisk and I'd like to see him do the part again.

He was good although bit disappointing they again missed the opportunity to have a redhead play Matt Murdock like in the comics.

Back to WandaVision (kind of):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EwdI17gQtk&ab_channel=StephenBoatright

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 15, 2021, 01:26:57 PM

Bugger! Was it? That's a shame.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on January 18, 2021, 10:24:17 PM
Also, I keep thinking *that* neighbour is David Schwimmer.

Every. Damn. Time.