Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:01:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Knife-wielding youths are not what this town is about"

Started by seepage, January 15, 2021, 03:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

In a article in my local newspaper about 'knife-wielding youths', a local councillor is quoted saying: "this is not what [this town] is about". Which implies they think there are some other towns where knife-wielding youths are what they are about! 

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: seepage on January 15, 2021, 03:17:08 PM
Which implies they think there are some other towns where knife-wielding youths are what they are about!

That'll be Croydon then.

monkfromhavana

Sheffield, surely. Even one of the football teams acquired a nickname cos of the city's knife-wielding thugs.

Blumf

Neomod

Wasn't Limerick literally called 'Stab City' at one point. The 90s[nb]BRITPOP![/nb]

GMTV

Glasgow enjoyed it's well earned title of murder capital of Europe.

Tony Tony Tony

From https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/feb/02/ukcrime.prisonsandprobation

QuoteWith fewer than 100,000 residents, Limerick, which straddles the mouth of the River Shannon, has been trying for years to live down its reputation as "Stab City", a nickname acquired a decade ago because of a spate of fatal knife attacks in a time of high unemployment.

The latest violence involves youths wearing bullet-proof vests and equipped with machine guns and hand grenades. Six people were murdered there last year, at least four in gang-related feuds. The homicide rate, per head of population, is equivalent to that of Glasgow, the murder capital of western Europe.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There was a young fella from Malahide
Who hid from a double homicide
They called him a prick
Down in fair Limerick
Now they're using his hoop as a fun slide

Twit 2

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 15, 2021, 03:30:55 PM
Sheffield, surely. Even one of the football teams acquired a nickname cos of the city's knife-wielding thugs.

However, the ice hockey team never stole anything.

Johnny Yesno

There once was a kind of rhapsody
Named after Ireland's 'stab city'
I forget what it's called
The narrative has stalled
And the rhyming's a total catastrophe

Psybro

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 15, 2021, 03:30:55 PM

Every cloud.

greenman

The Mail's new tactic "No Dinosaur attacks today under Boris".

Gurke and Hare

My "Knife-wielding youths are not what this town is about" t-shirt is raising many questions already answered by my t-shirt.