Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:45:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RuPaul's Drag Race UK - season two

Started by Blinder Data, January 16, 2021, 02:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Apparently fans/Twitter were in meltdown after
Spoiler alert
Joe Black
[close]
got eliminated first. TBF she didn't deserve it as there were much more limited queens remaining, but presumably the producers want them to go on a "journey".

At least this lot seem varied and good in their own way. Season one was very much Vivienne and the rest.

Fave so far is probs Lawrence Chaney. Do it for Glasgow, girl! A'Whora is going to be a good villain - looking forward to her being taken down a peg or two

bgmnts

I thought Baga Chipz was meant to be the main draw of season 1. Vivienne won but for me the real talented one was Divina de Campo; however, The Vivienne had that Trump impression which was hard to beat really.

Might check out this new season, although I have seen that there is season 3 maybe coming out this year as well; that may burn me out so I may have to wait a bit.

Norton Canes

Liked the Pauline from League of Gentlemen one.

Cuellar

The Su Pollard one is really getting on my tits. Much like Su Pollard I suppose. But ones that come in with catchphrases pre-loaded are always annoying. I hope Lawrence Chaney does more than 'be Scottish' to the sort of patronising squeals of the yanks.

Asttina Mandella is pretty stunning, but perhaps takes herself too seriously. Bit of a Valentina vibe from her. Could go far, could implode. Tayce has beautiful eyes.

I like Veronica Green, but don't think she'll go that far. Her Lancashire look was pretty lacklustre, but she seems sweet. Also like Cherry Valentine. Hope she does well.

bgmnts

Some RuThoughts:

* East London got on my tits a bit.
* Norwich actually gave me a semi on with her Relax efforts, some of them have mega bodies.
* Genuinely gutted Norwich didn't come out in a dragged up Alan Partridge pringle jumper (maybe sequined traffic cones through the nipple holes).
* Obviously supporting Newport (her eyes remind me of Blade) and the vegan.
* Glasgow and even Dundee were able to represent themselves with their costume but Newport just went with Welsh dragon, figures. If you can't represent Chartism or John Frost via the medium of drag are you good enough?
* Some of the 'comedy drag' is fucking stomach churning sub-panto shit. Hate it.

Cuellar

Self-professed 'comedy queens' are always shit.

Tayce is just gorgeous tbh.

Blinder Data

Tia dodged a bullet there. I didn't think Cherry Valentine's runway look was nearly as bad as the judges made out. They seem to make it up as the go along.

BritishHobo

It's fun watching this alongside the current US series, which is desperately throwing out daft gimmicks. It feels like a refreshing novelty to be just watching a show where they stick to the format.

monkfromhavana

Do they show the UK version in America as well? Or is it just one of those things that will be "tucked" away over there on some obscure channel? It would be interesting to see what a US audience thought of the UK queens.

TBh, I don't really care, but as my other half watches everything drag queen related I've kinda built up a detached interest coming from being in the same room as it when it's on.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 23, 2021, 11:31:49 AM
Do they show the UK version in America as well? Or is it just one of those things that will be "tucked" away over there on some obscure channel? It would be interesting to see what a US audience thought of the UK queens.

TBh, I don't really care, but as my other half watches everything drag queen related I've kinda built up a detached interest coming from being in the same room as it when it's on.

You have to subscribe to WOW+ to get it over there. Judging by Reddit, the Yanks prefer the UK version too. Turns out that the queens having a personality and sense of humour is more entertaining than looking like a runway model, who'da thunk it?

Blinder Data

I can see why
Spoiler alert
Tia beat Asstina, as she brought something more to the lipsync instead of just performing some (admittedly very impressive) dance moves
[close]
. It's great when queens are eliminated in surprising circumstances, leading to backstage bitchiness ramping up a gear.

It seems like a very open contest, unlike last year. No idea who is the favourite or how COVID is going to affect the season.

The Mollusk

Asstina is beautiful but otherwise pretty insubstantial. I'm glad Tia stayed, if only for her earnest and very funny personality and how she integrates that with her drag persona.

Pleased to see Ginny haphazardly branching out too, I was hoping there was more to them than what's been mentioned already and fingers crossed we can see that develop.

I think Biminy is my favourite so far. They are extremely cool.

Cuellar

Yeah glad Tia's still there, and her dress wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared it would be. No offence to her, but not really sure how Lawrence Chaney won that. I didn't even think she won out of her pair. It was good, but I prefered Ellie's. I think Bimini probably should have won the over Lawrence.

GMTV

Ru Paul's LAHRANCE CHEHNEH continues to crack me up.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Cuellar on January 29, 2021, 01:14:23 PM
Yeah glad Tia's still there, and her dress wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared it would be. No offence to her, but not really sure how Lawrence Chaney won that. I didn't even think she won out of her pair. It was good, but I prefered Ellie's. I think Bimini probably should have won the over Lawrence.

Same. Maybe it's because Lawrence had said last week she struggles with image issues and because she looked very good this week it was a sob story sort of win? The show is known for doing that. Bimini and A'Whora both looked better.

As an aside, A'Whora really looks like Adore Delano doesn't she?

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on January 17, 2021, 11:14:13 PM
* Genuinely gutted Norwich didn't come out in a dragged up Alan Partridge pringle jumper (maybe sequined traffic cones through the nipple holes).

Likewise. The football kit/cheerleader outfit was a bit obvious. Even a drag Delia Smith effort would have been preferable. I do like Bimini though, I just hope that's the last of the vegan hectoring, though she does seem self-aware and self-deprecating with it at least.

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 16, 2021, 02:35:59 PM
Apparently fans/Twitter were in meltdown after
Spoiler alert
Joe Black
[close]
got eliminated first. TBF she didn't deserve it as there were much more limited queens remaining, but presumably the producers want them to go on a "journey".

I know what you mean but I didn't warm to Joe Black at all, she seemed a bit overconfident and a bit creepy tbh. The Bowie look also didn't do it for me and Graham Norton was right, the Brighton Pavilion look wasn't even the right colour. A drag queen from Brighton and that was all she could think of?

RuPaul is looking incredible for 60. I do hope there's less of the "Awright guv'nor?" stuff this year, that got old fast in series 1

Who did the Lily Savage look? Needed a fag in her mouth.

Asttina is stunning in and out of drag, but queens never win on looks alone. I like her so I hope there's a bit more to her than her looks.

Veronica Green seems a bit young and inexperienced (hence the name I guess) but still more polished than Scaredy Cat and Gothy Kendoll from last year. Going "From Gollum to gorgeous in three hours" is also an incredible transformation, I have to admit.

I like the Su Pollard/Steve Pemberton one. Bet we'll be seeing her as Elton in Snatch Game.

Liking Lawrence Cheney, Ellie Diamond and Sister Sister but I am biased and of course I'll root for the Scouse and Scottish queens. Loved Lawrence Cheney's Charles Rennie Mackintosh look.

I agree that A'whora will probably turn out to be the villain of this series. Good stuff.

The Mollusk

Agree that the Bowie look was shite. I saw a bunch of folks really backing her on social media like "if you didn't appreciate it you don't know Bowie". Mate, it just wasn't a good outfit.

bgmnts

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-55857270

Bit of a heart warming story I suppose.

Unsure if I even know what it means to identify as a man anymore. I have a knob and I like Rush. Beyond that there isn't anything masculine about me. Self identity is weird.

The Mollusk

I definitely identify as biologically male and I almost exclusively dress like "a dude" but gender identity means nothing to me and this sort of open discussion has helped me to understand that there absolutely doesn't need to be a strict "A or B". In terms of my mentality over the last decade I have more and more become hugely distanced from the idea of a male gender role. My mother has asked me earnestly if I'm gay a couple of times which was quite surreal for me because I know I'm not but found it weird that someone who knows me as well as she does would have that thought so strongly that she would need to ask me outright. Gender identity just doesn't mean anything to me and I don't really give it a second thought nowadays, I just try to be as happy as I can be whilst being honest and true to myself.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on January 29, 2021, 10:32:03 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-55857270

Bit of a heart warming story I suppose.

Unsure if I even know what it means to identify as a man anymore. I have a knob and I like Rush. Beyond that there isn't anything masculine about me. Self identity is weird.

This whole "crisis of masculinity" thing is bollocks innit? Men no longer having a rigid role to fulfil in society is a good thing, surely?

Likewise, I have a uterus but I've never been very feminine. No drag queen would ever want to drag up as me, put it that way. And I'm comfortable with that.

I had noted that Ru's "Gentlemen, start your engines, and may the best woman win" has now become "Racers, start your engines, and may the best drag queen win". Is that out of wanting to be a bit more sensitive to non-binary contestants and viewers? I know the US Drag Race did away with "Gurrrrrrrl! You got she-mail!" because it sounded a bit too close to "shemale" even though that wasn't the intention. iirc RuPaul has been less than sensitive about trans issues in the past but at least seems to have learned a bit now and moved with the times.

The Mollusk

The "You've got she-mail" thing definitely was a intended as a (playful but very short-sighted) jab at the slur and I'm glad they got rid of it - though I'll admit I had never considered this u too it came up as an issue and it was a part of my widening education of the LGBTQ+ identity and movement.

Ru has certainly been bizarrely narrow-minded about trans identity in the past but I think seems to be gradually moving with the times these days, though I can understand why, for some, it's too little too late.

You think that's bad? Have you heard the song for All Stars 1? (Largely forgotten as the fans have collectively decided AS1 never happened, and rightfully so.)

The Mollusk

Blue Jam

I've just realised who Bimini reminds me of:

Definitely a style inspiration for them I reckon. Zef is pretty camp now I think about it.

Blue Jam

Anyone know why they're all wearing berets in the Werk Room in ep 3?

MrMrs

zef? that's thingy, yolandi

kandy muse is an awful bully who should be thrown off for threatening violence

thugler

I'm always confused by how they do the interviews, do they ask them to speak as if stuff is about to happen rather than in the past? It's strange.

Blue Jam

Quote from: MrMrs on February 01, 2021, 12:47:11 AM
zef? that's thingy, yolandi

That is Yolandi and she is none more Zef:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zef

...and Zef style is pretty camp, or flamboyant at least (mildly NSFW):

https://art-sheep.com/%C2%A5o-landi-vier-the-fashion-icon-of-the-zef-music-scene/

Zef drag? Yep, that works.

Quotekandy muse is an awful bully who should be thrown off for threatening violence

Think we need a Drag Race US thread. Is the current season worth watching? I couldn't watch the last one because of Sherry Pie being in it.