Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:03:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Franchises: Assassin's Creed

Started by bgmnts, January 16, 2021, 05:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: The Crumb on January 18, 2021, 12:50:10 AM
It reached a demented peak when you had to stalk someone in your fucking boat.

"Dear Marge, I rejoice in the tin-hip, but I am plagued by the Rogue Boatman who yet approaches my abode with his barge of explosives"

Neomod

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 28, 2021, 11:16:04 PM
At least you can have a laugh at the Irish pirate's shit accent.

Welsh Pirate if you are talking about Edward Kenway in Black Flag.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Neomod on January 29, 2021, 03:04:42 AM
Welsh Pirate if you are talking about Edward Kenway in Black Flag.

Nah, I meant the centrist guy in Rogue. Shay Patrick Cormac, apparently.

Neomod

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 29, 2021, 12:37:57 PM
Nah, I meant the centrist guy in Rogue. Shay Patrick Cormac, apparently.

Oops. Rogue was the last AC I played and although I preferred it to Black Flag (down to the more varied locations I think) the main character is utterly forgettable (to me) it seems.

Egyptian Feast

I suppose that's one thing Connor had going for him. He's such a drag he really sticks in your memory.

I've sadly forgotten any of Shay's Oirishisms, but they were really pathetic. Proper Irish stock character bullshit, always good for a laugh.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 28, 2021, 10:27:24 PM
The only modern day bit in Origins is this girl who's got an animus in a cave and you can look at her laptop, which has got various files on it you can read. They don't affect your progress though, so don't read them (I didn't, not for fear of spoilers, I just can't be fucked to read documents in games)

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 28, 2021, 11:16:04 PM
You're not missing out on much if you jump ahead. In Black Flag and Rogue, you're an Abstergo employee (possibly Layla from Origins etc., I wasn't paying much attention). When you exit the Animus you go into first person and wander around the office, finding stuff out and doing the odd task, but you're a blank slate of a character and nothing particularly important is revealed as far as I recall. I can't remember what was going on in the real world in Syndicate, so it can't have been that special.

I'm still playing Odyssey and still loving every minute. I'm halfway through the Atlantis DLC
Spoiler alert
trying to patch up the mess I created in Hades after I killed that three headed prick Cerberus. I had to laugh at Brasidas, who has never forgiven me for disagreeing with him one fucking time, turning out to be a baby-killing bastard. I damned the cunt to permanent Hell and he agreed with me, lol.
[close]

Sorry, you're stuck with the drippy cunt to the end and he doesn't get any better. Worst protagonist in the series, easily. Would be interested in hearing if anyone disagrees with that. I can't think of anyone close. At least you can have a laugh at the Irish pirate's shit accent.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 28, 2021, 11:44:04 PM
Yeah I can't really help with the overarching future/present day plot. It's incoherence in its purest form.

Has a video game franchise shit the bed as quickly as AC did? By the end of the second game you're scratching your head and you have this ancient race of beings and you're like hang on can't I just go into the past and take part in the eternal struggle between two ideologies please?

Nope, get that Isu gruel down you.

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I think I'll just jump ahead. I have been sort of enjoying the Desmond story, as barmy as it's been going, but I'm also a bit disconnected from it: like I never realised that
Spoiler alert
Lucy was apparently a a Templar, according to some dialogue I just heard in AC:3. I thought the creepy god woman made Desmond stab her at the end of Brotherhood out of some playful badness or something. Shows how much I've really been paying attention to the background story so far
[close]

Also another AC:3 moan is that I can't tell the difference between which tress and rockfaces I can and can't climb. It's probably just me being stupid, but it seems a random choice which ones you can clamber up, so I spend lots of my game time running into walls and trees in the hope I can ascend them.

Thursday

Wouldn't be shocked if the thing with Lucy was just retconning because they weren't able to keep Kristen Bell.

Egyptian Feast

The thing that annoyed me with the Desmond story ending was that his bits were starting to get more interesting after being a chore in the earlier games and he was less of a dick the more Assassin he became. I liked some of the real world missions in AC3 and there was potential to do more with him, but the already messy story went completely to shit at that point.

You're probably not wrong about Bell. Maybe they couldn't keep Nolan North either, he's never been short of work.

Pink Gregory

What on earth was the point of that first person puzzle platforming business in Revelations.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 30, 2021, 03:28:58 PM
What on earth was the point of that first person puzzle platforming business in Revelations.

I guess they were a roundabout way to give greater detail on Desmond's pre-Assassin's Creed games life, in the form of a weird platformer with Tetris pieces, but yeah they were a bit odd and felt like a strange diversion from the main game. I worked my way through them all but I think I'd rather they had just been cutscences in between memories, as I felt they were just a bit of a chore to get through. [nb]I don't think you had to do them to progress the main game, but I felt I had to as I don't like missing out on any story sections of games I play.[/nb]

BritishHobo

Origins has really picked up for me now I've reached Alexandria. It still feels a bit emptier than previous games, presumably because of how fucking massive it is, but the exploration, sneaking about and bumping people off is as fun as ever. From what I've read it sounds like that's gonna change a lot come Odyssey, so I shall make the most of it now.

Noodle Lizard

One thing I really like from the new batch is the Historical Tour mode. That's a really wonderful idea, even if it feels a bit rushed/slight in some instances.

Cuellar

Never got into Assassin's Creed games, not sure why, for some reason I associated them with gamergate and incels. Again, no idea why.

But the whole lot were going cheap on Steam the other month so I bought II and Odyssey on the recommendations here. Really enjoyed buggering about in Renaissance Italy, and now I'm deep into Odyssey. It does look great and you really can just spend hours wandering around killing cunts. It's good fun pissing about in history, seeing it all come to life.

Kassandra is also shagging her way round Greece. My favourite was the couple, Thaletas and Kyra, on one of the islands - romanced both of them, seduced Thaletas into cheating on Kyra then as soon as we'd banged told him 'it was a mistake, we shouldn't see each other again'. He was distraught lol

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Cuellar on April 15, 2021, 10:44:14 AM
Kassandra is also shagging her way round Greece. My favourite was the couple, Thaletas and Kyra, on one of the islands - romanced both of them, seduced Thaletas into cheating on Kyra then as soon as we'd banged told him 'it was a mistake, we shouldn't see each other again'. He was distraught lol

I did that too! Saying yes to (almost) every romantic option led to a lot of laughs. I had so much fun with Kassandra, killing my way around Greece,
Spoiler alert
attending orgies with historical figures & goats, shagging a pirate queen five minutes after having a baby and dying aged 2000+ in a terrible suit after making a speech extolling the virtues of centrism.
[close]
What a ledge.

The DLC story where
Spoiler alert
the woman rode the horse off a cliff thinking it was a pegasus
[close]
was hilarious. Definitely the most I've ever laughed with an Assassins Creed game. I 100%ed the fucker and I still felt sad when it was time to say goodbye to Kassandra, Barnabas, Alkibiades (top shag, that lad), Socrates and my crew of siren pirates.

Neomod

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 08, 2021, 08:59:21 PM
Origins has really picked up for me now I've reached Alexandria. It still feels a bit emptier than previous games, presumably because of how fucking massive it is, but the exploration, sneaking about and bumping people off is as fun as ever. From what I've read it sounds like that's gonna change a lot come Odyssey, so I shall make the most of it now.

I've just got to Alexandria and am enjoying this. I'd held off buying this as i'd read ubisoft had made it enough of a chore to grind that you would pay for the privilege of leveling up. Haven't really found that to be the case as I enjoy the side missions and don't just hack through the main story.

Next up, Odyssey as it seems to be getting good reviews on here.