Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,352
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:03:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eurostar in Critical Condition

Started by bgmnts, January 16, 2021, 09:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210115/eurostar-in-critical-condition-after-collapse-in-travel-between-uk-and-france

No word of a lie, when I read 'critical condition' I pictured a Ben Garrison cartoon of a sickly train in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of it, labelled with words like Communism and ISIS or something.

Captain Z

And when I skim-read "in critical condition after collapse" I thought the tunnel had given way.

Sin Agog

Norton Canes

flotemysost

Politics aside, I'd be pretty sad to lose a way of getting into Europe that's an option for people who don't drive and don't want to fly (I know there are buses too, which I'm guessing are cheaper as well but presumably much slower).

Only used it twice (Paris and Brussels) but I'm a fan. Service was decent and tickets actually seem pretty reasonably priced compared to a lot of train travel within the UK, at least for the trips I've done - going to Newcastle on the same weekend that I ended up going to Paris would have cost about twice as much (this was for a mate's birthday and we were looking at options a month or two in advance).

Obviously travel is restricted with very good reason at the moment, but I'm guessing that even with Brexit, as soon as it's more feasible (covid-wise) for people to book holidays outside the UK, cheap flights will be selling like hotcakes so anything that could take the strain off that (emissions-wise) would be welcome, in my eyes.

Thursday

Yeah might steal it for twitter tbh

bgmnts

Quote from: flotemysost on January 16, 2021, 09:37:55 PM
Only used it twice (Paris and Brussels) but I'm a fan. Service was decent and tickets actually seem pretty reasonably priced compared to a lot of train travel within the UK, at least for the trips I've done - going to Newcastle on the same weekend that I ended up going to Paris would have cost about twice as much (this was for a mate's birthday and we were looking at options a month or two in advance).

Yeah me too, it was cheap as anything, actually more expensive to travel on train from south wales to london than from st pancras to paris, which probably says more about the abysmal British rail service but yeah mega quick and comfy.

Wonderful Butternut

A predictable outcome, wasn't it?

Meanwhile, in Ireland:

Extra ferry capacity to France:
http://www.dfds.com.tr/dfds-new-ferry-route-dunkerque-rosslare/en/2946

More extra ferry capacity to France:
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/stena-moves-larger-ship-to-french-route-as-more-firms-seek-to-avoid-brexit-checks-1.4457726

More extra ferry capacity to France:
https://twitter.com/byrne_padraig/status/1350378189101662208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1350378189101662208%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058136044page%3D3

Apparently a lot is Northern Irish freight not wanting to go through the mainland UK, so they drive over the border all the way down to the the South East. I hope were skimming a few quid out of that some way.

Nice border you got there Boris.

flotemysost

Quote from: bgmnts on January 16, 2021, 10:49:15 PM
Yeah me too, it was cheap as anything, actually more expensive to travel on train from south wales to london than from st pancras to paris, which probably says more about the abysmal British rail service but yeah mega quick and comfy.

And you don't get assaulted with "ooh, quirky!" messages every time you go to the bogs on Eurostar, either.

Alberon

Fucks sake! Brexit is done!

Fill it with good British concrete!

Zetetic

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on January 16, 2021, 11:02:22 PM
A predictable outcome, wasn't it?
I don't think any of the freight ferry stuff is relevant. Eurostar runs passenger services through the tunnel, they don't operate the tunnel itself or run freight services.

(If anything, I guess it's possible that reduced freight demand on the tunnel might make Eurotunnel/Getlink lower access fees?)

Shit Good Nose

Even if Eurostar does go down the shitter, the big fucking tunnel is still going to be there, so surely some(Chinese company)one will take it on and either continue to operate it or get it going again post-covid?  Or are they just going to remove the plug and let it fill with water?  If they do that, it will lower the level of the channel, so not only will you be able to walk across with wellies on, it will also mitigate the effect of rising sea levels by climate change.  Kill two birds.

Zetetic

Looks like truck freight through the tunnel (on the shuttles operated by Eurotunnel/Getlink, not Eurostar) was higher in December 2020 than December 2019.

Would be interesting to see what the freight pattern looked like across the year (but not interesting enough to hunt through Getlink's website at 0100), but the total year-on-year difference was smaller than -10%. (In contrast to passenger vehicles on the same shuttles which was down by almost -50%. Eurostar has clearly suffered far more than that.)

(January 2021 figures to be released on 5th February. Source.)

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Zetetic on January 17, 2021, 01:06:19 AM
Looks like truck freight through the tunnel (on the shuttles operated by Eurotunnel/Getlink, not Eurostar) was higher in December 2020 than December 2019.

I think that would be expected - the reduced passenger service level making more freight paths through the tunnel available and companies using them to avoid the delays that were mounting in Dover. As SGN says, the line will still be there post pandemic so someone will use it, if Eurostar go bust in the meantime two groups of people will be affected:

i) Eurostar shareholders
ii) People who were booked onto Eurostar but had to cancel because of the pandemic, many of whom are now holding vouchers to use post-pandemic, which will presumably be worthless

Fambo Number Mive

I feel sorry for Eurostar staff. I don't know if they are currently mostly furloughed or what will happen.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 17, 2021, 12:17:17 PM
ii) People who were booked onto Eurostar but had to cancel because of the pandemic, many of whom are now holding vouchers to use post-pandemic, which will presumably be worthless

My dad had a Eurotunnel booking for 22/2/2020, he kept postponing it and rebooking for a few months later and went to do so again yesterday but the website won't allow him to rebook after 21/2/2021 (as per their pre-covid T&C's)

Zetetic

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 17, 2021, 12:17:17 PM
I think that would be expected - the reduced passenger service level making more freight paths through the tunnel available
Did Getlink run more [edit: truck] shuttles? Can any shuttle car be used for either passenger vehicles or trucks?

Edit: No. to the second question - they use different wagons.

(I emphasise that this is only truck freight, not freight trains.)

Quotecompanies using them to avoid the delays that were mounting in Dover
Does the Eurotunnel terminal actually avoid these delays? You still need to clear the same stuff. (Getlink put the increased demand in late 2020 down to a broader increase in pre-Brexit freight.)

QuoteAs SGN says, the line will still be there post pandemic so someone will use it, if Eurostar go bust in the meantime two groups of people will be affected:
Worth noting that no one else has ever managed to actually get to the point of running passenger services through the tunnel... (which granted is a lot about trainset requirements as far as I can tell).

Psybro

Does anyone know if Eurostar owns the rolling stock, or are they leased as per domestic franchises?

Zetetic

I don't think they're leased. (Not really any reason why an operator that wasn't going through the tunnel between the UK and Europe would be terribly interested in them, as far as I can see, unless they were going very cheap.)

Zetetic

I suppose maybe we'll finally end up with Deutsche Bahn running both freight and passenger services through the tunnel...

mippy

I really like the Eurostar, have been to Amsterdam on it via Brussels, and the novelty of getting on the train in one country and getting off in a completely different one is amazing. Though I guess if Indyref2 happens I could get that when visiting my in-laws.

I've been put off going to the Eurozone since Brexit because everything seems so expensive now, but a few years ago I got a very very cheap flight to Tokyo that required me to start in Paris rather than London, and the lack of hassle in getting the train there compared with navigating connecting flights was great. Also I got to go for a nice walk in Paris.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Zetetic on January 17, 2021, 12:26:44 PM
Does the Eurotunnel terminal actually avoid these delays? You still need to clear the same stuff. (Getlink put the increased demand in late 2020 down to a broader increase in pre-Brexit freight.)

I don't know about now, but I would have thought that pre-January 1st freight would just load up wherever and fly right through. I'm no expert though. And that does make sense about general pre-Brexit increases.

Quote from: Zetetic on January 17, 2021, 12:43:06 PM
I suppose maybe we'll finally end up with Deutsche Bahn running both freight and passenger services through the tunnel...

Hopefully, we might get the services to Cologne then.

JesusAndYourBush

Ah, I did this before scrolling down.

Fambo Number Mive

London business people have called for the government to offer financial support to Eurostar: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55696664

Eurostar employs 1,200 people in the UK, according to the letter they sent to the government.

madhair60

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 17, 2021, 04:10:26 PM
London business people have called for the government to offer financial support to Eurostar: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55696664

Eurostar employs 1,200 people in the UK, according to the letter they sent to the government.

I would hope that a lot of them are furloughed while they're running a reduced service and can continue to be.until the pandemic is over - again, the same jobs will need to be done whether for Eurostar or someone else. The uncertaintly must be horrible though.

The operator of last resort wouldn't step in for Eurostar, would they? Is it effectively an open access company?