Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:11:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gary Numan/Ultravox overlap

Started by Jittlebags, January 17, 2021, 02:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jittlebags

Pah, I was just about to post this, when listening to a Gary Numan YouTube vid - On Broadway, and it went very Ultravox towards the end. And just as I was going to send this, at the end Gary went Yo Billy or something alongst those lines. I remember seeing Billy in the Are Friends Electric video as well. I could Wikipedia this, however for discussion purposes, apart from guest appearances did Billy form the Numan sound, or just appear here and there.

crankshaft

Billy Currie was asked by Gary to join his touring band between the end of Ultravox Mk 1 and the start of Mk 2, so he's in the band for some of the Replicas promo, he's on The Pleasure Principle and he did that tour as well.

The "Numan" sound had nothing to do with Billy, that was all Gary - I'm sure the band had some input to the overall sound but there's no doubt it was all coming from Numan. Gary has been very  open about the influence that Ultravox Mk I had on him, and has said words to the effect of "they came up with the sound, I took the sound and added the image".

Billy was reportedly very rude about Gary when Ultravox finally became successful so there's no love lost there. I do get the impression that the only musician that Billy Currie holds in any regard is Billy Currie.

Pauline Walnuts

Gary Numan always said his blueprint was Ultravox!'s 3rd album, Systems Of Romance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIlD6XyX_uE

I don't know if John Foxx's very Numanoid Metamatic album was a continuation of that, or if Numan himself had a influence.