Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:32:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Census 2021 appears to be going ahead despite COVD

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 17, 2021, 08:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

https://twitter.com/Census2021

Given the following up with people will require face to face doorstep contact, why not delay it until the pandemic is over?

You can be fined £1000 for not completing it, which seems very extreme to me. That's five times the starting fine for putting lives at risk by breaching COVID regulations.

I understand why the census is important, but maybe this year isn't the best time?

Census day is Sunday 21st March.

https://census.gov.uk/

Zetetic

Census dereliction is the one crime I'd consider for capital punishment, if only to improve the accuracy of the data.

Don't kiss your census officer though

Butchers Blind

bgmnts

Considering sport is still happening I see no reason why the collection of data for statistical purposes shouldn't.

Fambo Number Mive

I suppose if it's televised sport it will help keep people inside their houses for a few hours more per week. Although maybe they could achieve the same by showing old matches and putting competitive sport on hold.

imitationleather

Fucking hell, is it really an entire decade since the bellend subsection of my acquiantances were coming up with spurious reasons on facebook for not filling the last one in?

That sort of shit is going to be rife this time around.

seepage

There are jobs on linkedin to fill in the census for 'phone callers.

Butchers Blind

No doubt they'll be the same hilarious bunch who when asked 'what religion' will answer, Jedi.

Malcy

Quote from: seepage on January 17, 2021, 12:51:18 PM
There are jobs on linkedin to fill in the census for 'phone callers.

At around £5/6 less p/h than going round people's doors. That put me off applying really.

shiftwork2

🎵 You fill out my census
Like a night in the forest 🎶

dissolute ocelot

Fuck, there's already been TERFs whining about how there's a question on gender identity (with a write-in box if you're NB or other). I look forward to a lot more intelligent discussion of the issue.

buttgammon

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 18, 2021, 09:14:00 PM
Fuck, there's already been TERFs whining about how there's a question on gender identity (with a write-in box if you're NB or other). I look forward to a lot more intelligent discussion of the issue.

Linehan in hot water with the law for refusing to fill it in?

Zetetic

poo

Latest modelling suggests there'll be only be 16 people in the UK on 21st March, so should be relatively straightforward.

Great memories of walking around North Hull in 2011 in my hi-vis vest earning £10/hour (I think) and knocking on a decreasing number of doors everyday as I ticked them off the list for one reason or another. Think I made about £700 over three weeks while still attending lectures. Nearly got my finger bitten off by a guide dog as I put the reminder letter through one door. Was met in one house by the worst waft of pure tangible caked-in BO I've ever known. Saw some real drug den shit hole flats - nothing more depressing than a lone block of flats on an otherwise pretty much exclusively terraced housing estate. But fond memories, as I said. Eventually helped the blind guy whose dog bit me fill out his census, same for a few immigrant families relying on kids to translate. I think it was April and unseasonably warm, that one warm spell we always seemed to get around Easter. Walk around a couple of estates, drop off a few reminders, note down the lack of response, job's a good'un.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on January 18, 2021, 10:10:19 PM
Great memories of walking around North Hull in 2011 in my hi-vis vest earning £10/hour (I think) and knocking on a decreasing number of doors everyday as I ticked them off the list for one reason or another. Think I made about £700 over three weeks while still attending lectures. Nearly got my finger bitten off by a guide dog as I put the reminder letter through one door. Was met in one house by the worst waft of pure tangible caked-in BO I've ever known. Saw some real drug den shit hole flats - nothing more depressing than a lone block of flats on an otherwise pretty much exclusively terraced housing estate. But fond memories, as I said. Eventually helped the blind guy whose dog bit me fill out his census, same for a few immigrant families relying on kids to translate. I think it was April and unseasonably warm, that one warm spell we always seemed to get around Easter. Walk around a couple of estates, drop off a few reminders, note down the lack of response, job's a good'un.

I'd love to earn some bonus moolah doing that. 99% plain sailing, but from paper round memory, the dogs alone...nah. Not doing it.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Quote from: Zetetic on January 18, 2021, 09:37:53 PM
The gender identity question is voluntary.

How many hilarious respondents are going to write "Attack Helicopter" in the box?

What are we all supposed to put for religion this year? I might put "Ron" or "Hans" or "LEGEND GARY".

Sebastian Cobb

Seems a bit redundant these days. Tesco probably have more data on most of the population.

Malcy

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on January 18, 2021, 10:10:19 PM

£14+ An hour now. I would go for it usually as I know people who have done it and enjoyed it but not in the middle of a pandemic.

Icehaven

I worked in public libraries in 2011, and it always used to make me laugh when people would come in and ask when they'd be able to see the latest forms on Ancestry.com. Ancestry do have them, however for fairly obvious data protection reasons they can only show ones that are at least 100 years old, so in 2011 the 1911 census was made available. The number of disappointed people who thought they'd be able to see the 2011 ones was ridiculous, would they want anyone being able to see theirs, with all their personal details on? Duh. The 1911 and previous ones had hardly anything on them anyway, just the names and ages of everyone at an address and the jobs of the adults. Given how much information is on them now they might extend the 100 year rule in the future

Aaron500

I was a "special enumerator" 10 years ago, which meant traipsing around care homes, bail hostels, homeless missions and dodgy B&Bs. Places that potentially had more than 10 people living there. We also did a session in the library helping people fill out the forms (a lot of immigrants who seemed to think I wa checking their paperwork, as well as late night radio phone in callers who wanted to argue with someone. Fill it in or don't mate, I couldn't give a fuck).

It was OK, especially as a training session was in Leeds, so in a moment of madness/desperation/horniness I got in touch with an old (girl)friend. Who I moved in with a month later, and married a year after that.

They've been in touch again, so maybe I should spin the wheel again, see what I get this time.

Petey Pate

If someone is living in a rented non-HMO property and is subletting to someone who is not on the tenancy agreement, can they just include them as a visitor?

George Oscar Bluth II

Aaron500

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 19, 2021, 05:24:36 PM
If someone is living in a rented non-HMO property and is subletting to someone who is not on the tenancy agreement, can they just include them as a visitor?

The official census line is that they don't give a shit about situations like this, and don't under any circumstances share the information with other agencies, so you shouldn't be frightened to tell the truth. It's not cross-checked with anything.

But another line is that they don't really care if they are visitor, tenant or whatever as long as they are counted as a person, and I suppose technically the landlord could seek out the information in a few years' time, so yes, put them as visitor.

canadagoose

Looking forward to filling it in with female as the sex just as I did in 2011, while the Salmondite prats fume. Get fucked, contiau.

How are they going to make sure people do it nowadays though? The COVID danger must make it a bit difficult for enforcers, surely?