Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Phil Spector's now a spectre

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, January 17, 2021, 04:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 17, 2021, 05:32:52 PM
I think he said it in Easy Rider, but it wasn't puns, it was cocaine.

dirk cobaine?

these men all blur together for me in the end.  life is too short to pay attention to who is who

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

BUT SERIOUSLY. Great producer, awful human being. The reason people continue to enjoy his greatest recordings is because the singers and musicians he employed weren't homicidal maniacs. They aren't tainted by association.

As much as he would've loved to have taken sole credit for all those classic songs, his Wall of Sound could never have scaled those heights without Darlene Love, Ronnie Spector, Jack Nitzche, The Wrecking Crew and his team of Brill (totally brill!) Building songwriters.

That's not to diminish his talents as a record producer, he was obviously quite exceptional, but the man was a vile little shit. An abusive partner and a murderer. RIP!

Honestly thought he was already dead.

Oh we're doing jokes. There will be hell toupee.

Butchers Blind

Zetetic

Due to a A Christmas Gift For You...-related piracy-based misunderstanding, there are some people in the world who think my father is Phil Spector.

Expressed condolences to one of my sisters when he was locked up for murder.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 17, 2021, 05:47:11 PM
BUT SERIOUSLY. Great producer, awful human being. The reason people continue to enjoy his greatest recordings is because the singers and musicians he employed weren't homicidal maniacs.

Well, except Jim Gordon.

Dex Sawash

Bernice

Very slow burn Karma's gonna get you.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

oh dear, how sad, another murdering fuck gone to hell

Known for his record production, his lasting achievements were surely inspiring Hale and Pace's bouncer-themed sitcom's theme tune as well as a disputed paternity sketch in Lenny Henry, Tracey Allman and David Copperfield's Three of the Kind.

idunnosomename

i mean haven't we all waved loaded firearms at actresses a few times

Icehaven

ajsmith2

Opened his speech at the 1997 Q Awards (one of his very few public appearances in the UK ever) with the words 'Is Frank Skinner here?' (Phil was still miffed that Frank had recently collaborated with the flatulence based act Mr Methane on a partially farted version of Da Do Ron Ron, as seen here: https://youtu.be/E0bcIWvE-3g)

Ferris

Anyone done "Phil's Spectre" yet?

Apart from the thread title obviously.

Jittlebags

There was a Viz episode called Phil's Spectre, about a young lad who's best friend was a ghost, but in reality an escaped convict covered in a white sheet. What larks!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on January 17, 2021, 06:36:26 PM
Well, except Jim Gordon.

I remember in the very early days of his Wiki page it was basically "Drummer who played with Derek and the Dominos, Traffic and Frank Zappa.  Punched Rita Coolidge in the stomach and killed his mother.  Currently in prison."  It was quite something.

Johnny Yesno

Hand Solo

Why has nobody mentioned Phil only died in prison because that awful wannabe-actress waffle waitress he took back for the night was trying to clumsily amd greedily fallate the gun he carelessly left around and accidentally shot herself, while Phil was completely innocently in the kitchen trying to prepare something extremely romantic like a tiramisu or something? I feel so sorry for the shock and horror he must have experienced because of that bitch who deserved a sharp stiff slap to the face. If it still existed.

ProvanFan

That electric shock finally caught up with him

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

beanheadmcginty

That coronavirus is killing people all over the place. It's an Unchained Malady.

dissolute ocelot

At least he never shot the Ramones. Not even Johnny.