Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:06:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weepies

Started by Brundle-Fly, January 17, 2021, 06:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Following on from my mention of Cinema Paradiso in The Blues Brothers thread.

I'm the sort of person that even cries during adverts. Paffetik! It's sad music that usually fills up my tear ducts and seeing people cry on-screen really affects me too.

Five scenes that get me the most in movies.

Spoiler alert
When they make up and hold hands after falling out
[close]
- Stan & Ollie (2018)

Spoiler alert
The kissing clips footage finale is the most I have ever cried at a single moment on screen
[close]
- Cinema Paradiso (1989)

Spoiler alert
A crying John Merrick saying "You're so kind."
[close]
in The Elephant Man (1980)

Spoiler alert
At the end when the little kids arrive too late to see 'Jesus'
[close]
in Whistle Down The Wind (1961)

Spoiler alert
When George saves his boss' skin in the pharmacy and they hug
[close]
in It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

shagatha crustie

Ending of About Schmidt will probably do it for you.

Sebastian Cobb

Ending of Land and Freedom
Ending of Silent Running

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: shagatha crustie on January 17, 2021, 06:20:28 PM
Ending of About Schmidt will probably do it for you.

Oh christ yes!  Whenever I got self-pitying over petty things, my gf at the time, only had to say, "Dear Ndugu" and I immediately got over myself.

Chollis

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 17, 2021, 06:33:46 PM
Ending of Land and Freedom
Ending of Silent Running

Haven't seen Land and Freedom, but I remember watching Silent Running as a kid, and that final moment profoundly depressed me. It's a solid classic.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 17, 2021, 06:18:51 PM

Spoiler alert
A crying John Merrick saying "You're so kind."
[close]
in The Elephant Man (1980)

That, and also the end of Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

More recently, a few scenes in Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Chollis on January 17, 2021, 06:48:17 PM
Brooks in Shawshank

Yep!

Spoiler alert
When Robert Stroud is released
[close]
in Birdman Of Alcatraz (1962) Although, this is tainted by speaking to an original prison guard tour guide at the actual Alcatraz on a visit in 1990. I asked him what Robert Stoud was like and he got a little angry, The guide was less than complimentary about the ex-con. Burt Lancaster, he was not.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 17, 2021, 06:53:51 PM
That, and also the end of Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

God, I love that film.

Phil_A

The Long Day Closes is pretty much a non-stop weeper for me. A devastatingly poignant film.

Icehaven

Midnight Cowboy is my favourite film of all time anyway, my cinematic home and baseline, but in many, many dozens of viewings I don't think I've ever once not cried at the end.

Glebe

The ending of Grave of the Fireflies.

Gulftastic

'Hey, Dad...wanna have a catch?' In Field Of Dreams

Sparks my father issues every time.

shagatha crustie

Quote from: icehaven on January 17, 2021, 08:44:22 PM
Midnight Cowboy is my favourite film of all time anyway, my cinematic home and baseline, but in many, many dozens of viewings I don't think I've ever once not cried at the end.

Yeah, this.

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: Glebe on January 17, 2021, 09:07:51 PM
The ending of Grave of the Fireflies.

My daughter insisted on watching all the Ghibli films, I had forgotten how depressing this was, as I had only seen it on a crappy AVI file back in the day. Now blown up on a huge screen we both watched this and cried profusely.

C_Larence

There's a moment near the end of Toy Story 3 when Andy (who is now grown up) is giving away a box of his toys to a young girl. At the very bottom of the pile is Woody, and as she goes to grab him Andy instinctively pulls him away. Destroyed me in the cinema, and I was absolutely fine during the scene where all the toys think they're about to be incinerated and hold hands, which is what I heard most people talk about crying at afterwards.

Watched Only The Brave on Prime at the weekend.  It's based on a true story about a small town firefighting team.  Wonderful film with a devastating ending. 

studpuppet

This bit always makes me go - the storyline, the mirroring of the opening scene in the film, and then the music up until the moment the kickstart goes:

Restless Natives

El Unicornio, mang

That's reminded me of...

Brundle-Fly

Rizla

I greet at everything these days. I think having small children in your 40s ramps up your weep gland. Taxi Driver had me blubbing the other night, the bit where he's watching the young people  dancing to Jackson Browne on American Bandstand. Just get the guns back to easy Andy, Trav. Get on the dayshift, sort your head out, man.

Quote from: studpuppet on January 18, 2021, 01:37:38 PM
This bit always makes me go - the storyline, the mirroring of the opening scene in the film, and then the music up until the moment the kickstart goes:

Restless Natives
Great choice. The last job. (Check the lassie at 2 minutes, presumably unscripted close one)

jobotic

Yep. And when you've seen it once and watch it again all the bits leading up to the end make you cry too.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 18, 2021, 04:08:36 PM
That's reminded me of...

WOw, just had a huge flashback to a film I hadn't thought of for years. Run Wild, Run Free. Sure there's a scene where a boy falls in to a bog like that and flaps about, possibly trying to save a horse that's sinking but he has a hawk strapped to his hand and he injures it. I loved that film when I was little, all foggy moorland and overly strict parents.

Anyway, for the purpose of this thread, I should mention Jon Voight's death in The Champ. Absolutely fucking traumatic.

SteveDave

I'm crying at the end of almost every film I watch at the moment. On the weekend it was "Cool Runnings" when they pick up the bobsled and walk it over the line.

Last weekend it was when the adult superheroes were saying how proud they were of their child superheroes in the CHILDREN'S FILM "We Can Be Heroes".

I suppose it's the knackers' yard for me.

Brundle-Fly

Have you ever seen Thunderbolt & Lightfoot (1974) ?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: SteveDave on January 19, 2021, 11:39:21 AM
I'm crying at the end of almost every film I watch at the moment. On the weekend it was "Cool Runnings" when they pick up the bobsled and walk it over the line.

Last weekend it was when the adult superheroes were saying how proud they were of their child superheroes in the CHILDREN'S FILM "We Can Be Heroes".

I suppose it's the knackers' yard for me.

Shift up Ned, and pass the hay.

On a rewatch of Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) recently, the 'Kick The Can' segment had me almost gasping for breath.

And don't get me started on the end of On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1968), I had to bolt out of the living room one Christmas at my brothers because I caught the tail end of it on TV and was fit to burst. I didn't want his kids to think I was having a nervous breakdown before lunch.

markburgle

My tear ducts utterly blow whatever cool I possess. I've cried at Love Actually ffs (the bit with the kid running up to girl he fancies at the airport).

Ending of any version of A Christmas Carol, usually the bit where he turns up at his nephew's for Christmas Dinner (especially where he asks the wife if she'll let him stay, but really anywhere around there).

Saving Mr Banks where they finally crack Emma Thompsons frosty exterior with Let's Go Fly a Kite.

bgmnts

Watership Down innit.

Pink Gregory

Somehow, it wasThe Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou that did for me.  It's the line "I wonder if he remembers me.", and when Bill Murray's face starts going.