Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:08:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grammar question

Started by bgmnts, January 18, 2021, 03:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

"Has anyone ever wrote a literature review because I need serious help"

Should it be wrote or written? The person who wrote this is adamant that wrote is correct because its a past tense question (I don't know what that means) but I am certain that the past participle should be used, especially considering they used the auxillary verb to have.

Help me CaB, you're my only hope.

Cerys

It should be 'written'.  Ask them if they'd say 'has anyone went' instead of 'has anyone gone', and then give them a stiff slap if they tell you they would.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It's definitely "written". Call this person a stupid bastard.

bgmnts

Love you both, was shitting myself that I lost my last brain cell.

Rev+

Definitely 'written'.  If you can get this idiot in the back of a van I'm sure we could arrange some linguistic correction.

"Have" requires the past participle, which is "written"

"Have you written a literature review?"

"You wrote a literature review?"

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2021, 03:25:08 AM

Should it be wrote or written? The person who wrote this is adamant that wrote is correct because its a past tense question (I don't know what that means) but I am certain that the past participle should be used, especially considering they used the auxillary verb to have.

Help me CaB, you're my only hope.

You're right, it's the present perfect tense (have + past participle)

touchingcloth

I love that Nas album It Was Wrote.

Chedney Honks

How can you even have a conversation with this idiot

pigamus

To be fair, they'd be right without the "have" in there throwing them off.

I wrote an essay.
She wrote an essay.
They wrote an essay.

I have written an essay.
She has written an essay.
They have written an essay.

touchingcloth

Quote from: pigamus on January 18, 2021, 07:12:06 AM

I wrote an essay.
She wrote an essay.
They wrote an essay.

I have written an essay.

I can't think of a way of forming the question from the OP using "wrote", though, even when slipping into Yoda-speak.

To be charitable to the person the OP mentions, they're probably confused because the verb is irregular and are hyper-correcting because of that. "Well I don't write "they writed me an email yesterday", therefore the correct form to use for the past is "wrote"."

fat_abbott

Quote from: pigamus on January 18, 2021, 07:12:06 AM

I wrote an essay.
She wrote an essay.
They wrote an essay.

I have written an essay.

These people have wrote a lot of stuff

FredNurke

Is the person in question Scottish? Scottish English (or some varieties of it, anyway) uses the past tense rather than the past participle when constructing the perfect.

touchingcloth

Buelligan

English, as she is spuke.

jobotic

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 18, 2021, 10:14:43 AM
Murder, She Written.

Now it's like "Murder, She Written"
Once I get you out them mittens

stonkers

Quote from: FredNurke on January 18, 2021, 09:31:02 AM
Is the person in question Scottish? Scottish English (or some varieties of it, anyway) uses the past tense rather than the past participle when constructing the perfect.

Yeah it's not Standard English but it's grammatically fine, at least depending on the dialect.

Dex Sawash

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: stonkers on January 18, 2021, 11:26:15 AM
Yeah it's not Standard English but it's grammatically fine, at least depending on the dialect.
Yeah, it's not a distinctively Scottish thing, lots of dialects of English (in Scotland, North America, England, and elsewhere) have non-standard past participles and past tenses: "I've went", "I've gave", "I've ran", "I've telled" (in Scots pronounced "telt" and often spelt that way), but also the other way round "He done it", and other non-standard forms like "he et" or "he had gotten"; and "to be" has a huge range of variants. Some dialects like Geordie seem particularly distinctive in their verb forms ("I've rang", "I done", "it was took", "give" as past tense and past participle, etc). With such phenomena, there seems some dispute over whether it's the persistence of earlier dialect forms or the result of simplification where the number of verb forms are reduced; it probably varies from case to case.

Tony Tony Tony

The Ombudsman

Wroted is what I'd use.

I'd not.

petril

Buelligan

Something is wroten in the state of Denmark, as the Swan put it.

pigamus

Quote from: petrilTanaka on January 18, 2021, 02:53:53 PM
unwriten't

Natasha Bedingfield sent to see Mrs Gibbs in the special classroom

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2021, 03:25:08 AM

It could use a comma between "review" and "because" as well. In fact, "because" could be replaced with "as" - then there's the knotty problem of whether it should be re-worded completely to include a question mark.  I'm great fun at parties.