Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:19:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Hill's co-written a rock opera about Mr Tony Blair

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 18, 2021, 09:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Harry Hill has  written a comedy rock opera  about Tony Blair.

QuoteThe comic has teamed up with his long-time musical collaborator Steve Brown on the show, due to premiere in the theatre at London's Battersea Power Station in February.

Tony! (a Tony Blair Rock Opera) draws on the former Prime Minister's youthful rock star-ambitions as the lead singer of a band called   Bad Rumours.

Cherie Blair, Princess Diana, John Prescott, Peter Mandelson, Alistair Campbell, Osama Bin Laden, George W Bush, Saddam Hussein, Gordon Brown, 'and of course that dodgy dossier' are all due to feature...

Brown - the father of stand-up comic Alfie Brown – and Hill previously collaborated on  I Can't Sing!, the short-lived West End X Factor spoof. He was also the fictional bandleader Glen Ponder in Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge,

Tony! (a Tony Blair Rock Opera) will be performed from  February 4 to 6...

Blair comedy focusing on rock career and his time in power seems a bit passe now, especially given the stuff he's up to at the moment. I'm also not sure that Hill will have anything more to say that isn't sub-Dead Ringers.

Sorry if we've already mentioned this on Comedy Chat.

dissolute ocelot

Stewart Lee should do a rock opera about the young David Cameron, he's already got the start.

It's hard to see how Harry Hill's absurdism will fit into a more conventional format. Hill hasn't done much with a narrative, although I understand he has written novels recently which I guess might have a plot. Theoretically speaking, it could be interesting and silly, in practice I suspect it will be obvious and dull.

Billy

Except this has been done? There was 'Blair on Broadway' at the Arts Theatre soon after Brown took over which was basically the exact same as this, including a wonderfully awkward ad-lib the night I saw it where the Blair character blamed Brown at the end for the extremely recent death of Heath Ledger, to much audience unease.

Anyway, like most recent Hill projects (I Can't Sing, the movie etc) this will come and go with few noticing or caring

dissolute ocelot

Petey Pate

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 18, 2021, 11:51:28 AM
It would be nice if it was a Producers-like scam.

Hill's previous I Can't Sing musical may well have been one, considering that it closed six weeks after it opened. Surprised he's dipping his toe back into these waters.

Captain Crunch

I was more intrigued by his Caveman show; that looked like it would have been a bit, you know stage school in lesser hands but I think it would have been good from him.