Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:12:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2021. Just a load of balls.

Started by Deanjam, January 18, 2021, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Thought it would be a good time to start the new tennis thread to talk about the kicking the players have been getting in the press down under. The players arrived in Australia in two planes, one for the top players, one for the plebs [how embarrassing], then when someone got off the plane with a positive test they were shut into lockdown for two weeks. In a spectacular own goal Novaxx Djocovid released a set of demands that the players should be released from quarantine early, should be moved from the nice hotels to private housing, and given access to training. Now, you could argue he was just doing his job for the players as world number one, however it's gone down like a lead balloon in Australia, with press and public alike.

Adding to the silliness, is Bernard Tomic and wife who released a video complaining about their hotel, the food, and service, with Mrs Tomic moaning that she doesn't wash her own hair.

Anyway, at some point they may play a little tennis.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also enjoyed that.

Frankly, let them squeal. Absolute cunts. I want to see those hotel corridors patrolled like Fort Knox.

selectivememory

It was not a popular decision with the Australian public to have this tournament go ahead in the first place, so it's really not a good look for all these whining entitled pricks to be airing their minor grievances over social media. Tens of thousands of Australian citizens are still stranded abroad, but these players have been flown in and put up in nice hotels for free, and been given free food and additional allowances to order their own food in if they don't like the food provided, and on top of that they're all guaranteed $100,000 (Australian dollars, but still!) just for playing in the first round of the Open in a few weeks. Like, yeah, you probably do have less of a chance of progressing in the tournament now, but have some perspective FFS.

And Djokovic making an arse of himself is to be expected at this point. An anti-vaxxer who organised a notorious super-spreader event last year thinking he can make demands of the Melbourne health authorities. Staggering arrogance. At least there are a few players who have read the room and are striking the right tone with their posts, showing some gratitude that they're even there at all.

It does make me wonder if tennis should just go on hiatus while this pandemic is still raging. Or at least, they should look into maybe picking a single location for the next few months and holding all the tournaments there.

evilcommiedictator

Some context here as well - Melbourne was in lockdown like you're having now (only outside for exercise or for essential work/food shopping), no visiting people etc. for several months last year, so having a bunch of fairly rich people come over and whinge is a bit rich (especially when the equivalent of the Scotland/England border was closed for 20 days since the start of this month) as well.

However, it seems like Tennis Australia kinda fucked up a bit, as we've got the Indian circket team over at the moment, and Cricket Australia went and leased out an entire hotel for them to quarantine in - now, that's a bit different for Tennis, sure, with 6 draws of 128 people, with a minimum of +1s for Coaches, for Djoko that's like a +6. That's a lot of bookings for Tennis Australia, sure, but the bad publicity seems to be ongoing

bgmnts

This is what happens when you make heroes out of twats who knock a ball around.

BlodwynPig

This is what happens when the collective has lost the art of imagination.

They knew the deal before they flew over.

Deanjam

Video has come out of Bautista-Agut comparing life in their hotels to being in jail. He says it was a private conversation, but still gives you an idea of some of the players attitudes.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Deanjam on January 19, 2021, 01:31:55 PM
Video has come out of Bautista-Agut comparing life in their hotels to being in jail. He says it was a private conversation, but still gives you an idea of some of the players attitudes.
Tosser

gilbertharding

I saw this picture of Djokavic a few years ago. I thought it looked wrong so I fixed it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

selectivememory

Good win for Evans and all, but I do think he was fortunate that he was playing Auger-Aliassime, who has a wretched record in ATP finals.

Anyway, I have a feeling Medvedev is going to have a great Aussie Open, definitely seems to me the most likely to win it if Djokovic falls short. I remember the form he was in prior to his US Open run, and I'm getting similar vibes from him right now.

selectivememory

Some great matches today. Halep was brilliant coming from behind in the final set to beat Tomljanovic, and the Nick Kyrgios circus is always fun. Very jarring to see such large, rowdy crowds packed into the stands.

buntyman

Kyrgios game is pretty funny. I really want Humbert to win

selectivememory

I just find Kyrgios hugely entertaining, however much of a prick the man is. But I don't like the way this crowd is going for Humbert, and he's doing well and staying pretty composed considering they're going wild every time he even misses a first serve.

buntyman

Yeah Humbert's been pretty cool about it until now but you can see it's starting to get to him. The umpire said nothing when the crowd wailed through the entire game when he was serving for the match

selectivememory

Ooh, didn't realise Kyrgios had Thiem up next. Should be a good one.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buntyman on February 10, 2021, 12:01:15 PM
Yeah Humbert's been pretty cool about it until now but you can see it's starting to get to him. The umpire said nothing when the crowd wailed through the entire game when he was serving for the match

Why is there a crowd there? Bad day for Francophiles, only Ferro and Mannarino getting through to the 3rd round.

Deanjam

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 10, 2021, 01:30:59 PM
Why is there a crowd there?

Australia has no covid spread at the moment, because they've actually taken it seriously, so things are pretty much back to normal there.

evilcommiedictator

We've got cases in hotel quarantine, no community transmission, but I think masks are still mandatory, and there's no mixing between the Men's and Women's arenas.

chveik

hope Kyrgios gets destroyed in the next round. alright cheers

Dex Sawash

Very drunk woman disrupts Nadal/Mmoh match, gives finger to umpire, thrown out.

selectivememory

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 12, 2021, 12:29:41 AM
Very drunk woman disrupts Nadal/Mmoh match, gives finger to umpire, thrown out.

I think it was Nadal she gave the finger to. She shouted, "Hurry up you OCD fuck!" at him when he was about to serve.

chveik

rjd2

I have just had my Grand Slam bet and fully expect her to get the corona in the next twenty minutes, but for now lets fo Jennifer Brady!

Be nice to see Mertens get past the quarter finals she seems lovely.

BlodwynPig

Some insipid stuff today. Players rolling over in straight sets.

selectivememory

Kyrgios-Thiem has been good fun so far though. If Nick gets through this, I don't know how he'll manage in the next couple of rounds with no crowds in (as apparently there's going to be a five-day lockdown starting midnight tonight to contain a small outbreak).

Bottom half of the women's draw getting very interesting now as well. Osaka-Muguruza and Williams-Sabalenka both fourth-round ties, and potentially Swiatek-Halep as well (and Swiatek destroyed Halep on the way to her French Open title last year).

selectivememory

That was such a great match. Thiem just looks so solid these days. Just seemed completely relaxed and unfazed by the insane crowd and Kyrgios's usual antics.